Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRIVERS STRIKE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2005 at 5:10pm
nosuv,
thank you for your help.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:22am
Lets see, KS is in a carpool has nothing to lose from such a strike and proposes it anyway. He can stir up this pot of garbage without any ramifications for doing so? So we shall follow his advice? I think not. N or S Bound, who USED to be really cool, suddenly decides he hates the people he picks up everyday, and like 122582, joins the "movement." N or S bound recently had a house deal closer to DC that fell through and feels some need to make us suffer because of it? Now let me ask a couple of questions. When you bought your property in Stafford, Facquier, or Fredericksburg, did you not say to yourselves, I am willing to commute that far everyday? You said yes, and you were willing to take the risks of living so far away. Well one of those risks is that the price of gas would rise. That's really a bad thing. We all know that. But your fellow sluggers will open our arms to you and let you ride when it is our turn to drive. You do not have to drive everyday, you choose to do so. Do not try to ruin slugging because of your personal dissatisfaction with the rising price of gas. Isn't that really selfish of you? For 30 years this system works but because it doesn't fit your personal definition of "fairness" we should abandon it to satisfy your feelings? We should throw money at you to solve your problems with your choice as to where you choose to live? Excuse me, but, you choose to live where you do.

I could live alot closer to DC if I wanted to. I LOVE Stafford. Half the people who drive to pick up slugs, or who slug, are not from Stafford. To many of you, we are merely 610, a convenient port in and out of DC. Last December, when there were fewer than 40 regular DC riders per day, and temperatures were extreme, we were a community of riders. As VRE has become ridiculous, and folks realize that a park and ride in Fredericksburg and 17 that is not easy to get in and out of is problematic, you all have migrated to 610. We Stafford riders have not asked for our county to tax out of county stickers, or asked you for a "tip" for driving from Fredericksburg to pick us up. But you have asked us to do the same. Us regulars can look at fellow sluggers and remember freezing together, not because we enjoyed the experience but because we did not.

My point is that it is ez for KS to organize a "strike" when he has no investment in it. It is ez for 122582 to say I should pay him 10.00 round trip to Fredericksburg, when his actual cost of gas has only risen 2.00 a day, at least at this point. No SB can be mean even though he says he slugs because he cares because he had a bad vacation and did not move closer to DC as he anticipated. These personal problems are personal problems. I sympathize with them. Radco ridershare might be the alternative for 122582. No SB is really cool most of the time, and would be an excellent person to carpool with if you didn't have a problem with meeting at an exact point and time each day (the problem is we carpool or slug because we don't wanna do that) and no offesnse, but KS, don't think you and I should ever get in a car together...
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:25am
Go to the home page of this site. Compute your commuting costs if you were not a full time slug. It says that my commute from Spotsy every day cost me $27,000 per year. I and other drivers are then saving each of the two slugs we pick up daily $27K per year.

Somone said their company pays them to ride the bus, but they prefer to pocket that and slug.

And you can't afford a tip? And you wonder why I use the term bottom-feeder?

I'm all for a strike, and am willing to carpool with other like minded drivers from Gordon Rd to the Pentagon during the strike, as well as passing out leaflets announcing the strike dates.

Any takers?

carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:59am
"I and other drivers are then saving each of the two slugs we pick up daily $27K per year."
And how much are YOU saving because of the people who ride with you? If picking up "bottom-feeders" is so distasteful for you, why do it? Because you're gaining something. You get to work earlier and quicker.

OK, assuming for the sake of argument that asking for $ is fine. Will the amount vary from driver to driver and location to location? Do we get a zone system like DC? If I pay for a ride with you can I ask you to play/not play a certain radio station? You gonna have change? Are we going to taylor this fee (because a fee is what it is) to gas prices, so it will fluctuate along with them?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:45am
CallmeMrslug,

Thanks! I've been called lots of things, but not ever cool, even in the past tense!

No, I had a GREAT vacation, that's probably what made coming back to the commute the toughest, that combined, not with a move closer to DC (I'm crazy, but not stoopid!), but with a Stafford job opp that didn't come off. Add to that the less than desirable experiences with slugs on Monday and Tuesday and it all made for a very poor combination in my life.

I really do enjoy picking up slugs (it's slugs, not sluggers btw...sluggers swing a mean bat, slugs just ride in cars). I didn't appreciate the self-initiated third on 2 days in a row. No asking, just assuming, hopping in my car like those people EXPECTED a ride. Then a weenie who decided to make 4 phone calls without once acknowledging that the driver might have a say in it. The one incoming phone call that topped it all off was the ringer that was right behind me (one of my non-agreed to thirds) that went off so loud I actually jumped in my seat (might've even swerved on the road--it was THAT loud).

Yeah, all the makings of a not so good first half of the week. Combine that with 12 hour price increases on gas and it makes one think. I've been looking for a carpool. I carpooled for 4.5 years with slugging as a backup (both driver and rider). Carpools are great. Just appears there isn't the demand for folks to ride to my part of town.

The recent increases in new slugs may necessitate the resurrection of the idea to educate folks on the etiquette of slugging. At least now we don't need to recruit slugs like one longtime poster on this site is wont to do!

Again, thanks for the compliment. I need that affirmation! (yeah, I'm a weak vessel and like the adulations). Oh, btw, the last half of the week the slugs have been pretty decent.

NoSb

gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:56am
I was the one who said that my company will pay me back for taking mass transit if I submit a claim to them. I don't get to pocket anything if I don't use it. I like to slug because it is more flexable.

If you want to charge do so if you don't want to pick up us bottom feeders anymore then don't.

I will probably just get into a carpool with my father and husband. Dad has a hybrid and we can all meet up at 610. We all work the same hours usually.

Also dad parks for free at the navy yard. The only problem will be that the two days a week i drive now I won't be picking up slugs anymore. My father the horrible Hybrid driver also picks up at least two slugs every evening too which we won't be doing anymore.

Hmmm this might be great though. If I am sick DH can still ride with dad and they don't have to pick up anyone.

Yep strike if you want to.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:56am

Yea, right. Perhaps you should update this.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:24am
Why all the griping? This is voluntary participation, do it if you want to, don't do it if you don't want to. But don't try to screw it up for those of us who are happily using the system. IF KC WolfPck wants to strike, GOOD LUCK and good riddance, do it on your own time. This site is dedicated to those of us who are happy to drive slug riders and catch a ride with slug drivers. I have done both and will continue as long as it works, happily! That's why everybody loves me!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:42am
mroyal,

Thanks for your suggestion although I don't understand it.

NoSb

KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:05am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br] IF KC WolfPck wants to strike, GOOD LUCK and good riddance, do it on your own time.

Raymond....if you read my other post, you would know that I am in a vanpool. Therefore, you should be able to see why a stike would benefit me. Of course...I wasn't serious that drivers should strike. I do think that they should carpool if their situation allows it. I'm just stirring the pot...that's what I do. Just ignore me like everyone else does. [8D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic