Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRIVERS STRIKE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:07am
Well for the drivers that don't want to drive, that's okay. Slugs can use the bus or the train. We will survive w/ less drivers.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:21am
The whole idea is a farce. Attempting to take something that has worked for a long time and twist it around to suit your needs is very self centered. Take your tips and I'll make sure you file your 1099's. It is taxable income. I rarely slug but I do pick up slugs 2 days a week. I have a large gas guzzling sedan and I fill up twice a week at 50.00 a pop. I could move in closer to the city but I like living in Stafford. So I pay the price. Way it is.
thirdbag View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirdbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:31am
Why don't all those complaining about the cost of gas, just get a job closer to home or break down and get a hybrid, with these new gas prices the payoff is probably down to four years from six before your savings in gas is worth the extra $$$$ for the car. [8D][8D]

thirdbag
SlgDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlgDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by AveMaria
[br]I am departing from Dale City with a destination to Ballston but am willing to Metro to work from Pentagon.

Thanks for the flyer suggestion, btw.

I also slug from Dale City with a final destination to Ballston. I cannot speak to the other's issues but I was forced to use the main lanes for about a year or so due to the location of my son's previous daycare, which was located near Ft. Belvior. Last May we switched him to a location near my office and he and I pick up slugs every day.

I hate to sound like an infomercial or testimonial, but picking up slugs has truly made a difference to me. Since it's me and a 21 month old, I can pick up 1 or 2 slugs. If there are a lot of riders and hardly any cars I take 2. If there's a long line of drivers I take 1 and I'm off. Those getting into the car seem to be very receptive to my little one. They're nice and friendly. My boy dozes off by Lorton and (when there's no back up) I'm at the Pentagon in no time. I can then drop him off and I'm in the office between 8:40 and 9 am. I'm less stressed and actually have time to eat a little breakfast before starting work.

I'll admit I'm not overjoyed with the gas prices, but that's not going to stop me from picking up slugs. I like coming into work relaxed and my days are much less stressful now. I would be open to a car pool but I'm forced to drive.

"I'm Charlotte Taylor Wilson. I'm with the People's Independence Committee".
"Don Diego Vega. I'm with the greedy bloodsuckers." ~Zorro
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 10:55am
Thank you CallMeMrSlug for that great post!! Gas has always gone up through the years and I've never heard of anyone asking for money in the 10+ years that I have been slugging. I've talked to others who I know who have been slugging for 20+ years and they have never heard of such a request either. I believe this is coming from Gen X or Y folks who have been coddled and given their way when anything has gone wrong in their life or has annoyed them. They want instant gradification and feel put-out if their demands are not met. They probably contribute to the road rage that has started in the last 10 or so years, also. ME FIRST, ME FIRST!!! WAAAA, WAAA!

Wolfpack - you can go run in the woods now with all of the other like-minded wolves.
Rosebud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosebud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 11:08am
With all the emotion surrounding this issue and the fact that you can reply anonymously makes this topic very amuzing. Are we missing the most basic point in all of this? The slug system has existed successfully for a long time and its based on a very simple principal. Supply and demand. There is an equilibrium that exists. That equilibrium may be altered for the worse if gas prices don't come down soon. Gas has doubled in the last week. Who knows how much more it will go up. Many of us who drive out of convenience can no longer drive because of the cost. With the wear and tear on my vehicle, I estimate it now would cost me $35/day to drive. I could take a bus for $10/day and get $200 a month to help pay for it or I could slug like most and pay nothing with the exception of a few hours of my time per week.

Its not so much that you should be worried about a strike, it should be the fear that one of the most successful grass roots system ever conceived by the metro DC area workers could be in jeopardy.
tangelo53 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tangelo53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 12:15pm
I think what you guys are forgetting is that this system is a 2-way street. The drivers benefit from the slugs and vice versa. I normally drive, and yes, gas prices SUCK....but, if drivers did not pick up slugs, they would have to drive the main lanes....so, multiply that gas price you are paying (with slugs) by atleast 2 for the week! This system is great...thank goodness for slugs!! keep slugging and drivers keep picking 'em up! [:)]
ciaogiordano View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ciaogiordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 2:16pm
the cost differential in carpooling versus slugging is the price paid for flexibility and guarantee that you are the one driving your car when you need to. the system is elastic enough to support as many or as few riders as is physically possible given space constraints in automobiles. yes all the slugs one day could decide to take the bus and screw all the drivers, but everybody gets to work slower, is unhappy etc... and yes, one day all the drivers could set up carpools with each other and drop the slugs like a bad habit, but lets be honest neither of those two things is going to happen. the only thing that will happen if a norm of tipping/fee develops is the guarantee that many slugs will take the bus and ultimately decrease supply of riders, which decreases number of HOV rides possible, which in turn screws drivers. nobody wins.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 3:42pm
Slg Driver are you willing to carpool with me?
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 4:21pm
So if I read you correctly, Rosebud, you are pro-tipping? What do you look like? I'll keep an eye out if you're from Rt 3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic