Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can fix 610 Mine Road.....on Mon 12 Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jmv View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 3:58pm
Wade,

I've been slugging at Mine Road for a year and a half. There had been attempts to reverse the line (as it is at most other slug sites - the line points in the same direction as the vehicle flow). THnx for all the hard work you did. I think (and yes, it's only been one day) it's working out well. I think the two line setup is better. At least you don't have all the slugs bunched up at the SOUTH end of the median w/the cars curving BACK into traffic.

Thnx,
Jesse
AF Engineer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 10:05pm
TJR, I wanted to respond to your post since you took the time (thanks for doing so, sorry I couldn't respond earlier.)

Much of what you wrote about the effectiveness of the 2 proposals has already been covered/addressed in this thread (please take a look back), so I won't repeat it here. But I wanted to make sure you knew how this "decision process" came about.

1. Several riders/drivers over the past several months suggested we change line direction and split into 2 lines. I thought they were good ideas, and I still do (I can't take credit for them). So I decided last week to try and step up to see what support there was for these 2 changes.

3. Tuesday I spent about 1.5 hours (0545-0715) loudly announcing the 2 proposals to probably over 200 folks (you had to have seen me if you were there when you said you were)...and I was careful to suggest these were only ideas at this point, and that I was looking for feedback either personally while I was there, or on Slug-Lines.com. At the lot, 2 people gave me negative feedback (1 said line direction was fine, 1 said we can't interfere with bus lane). Probably a dozen or so verbally said things like "good ideas" or "about time", and lots of folks nodding their heads (fewer shaking their heads). I felt that speaking to this many people and allowing them verbal feedback (as well as watching non-verbal clues) would provide a good representative sample of all sluggers who use the lot (there's no way to get 100% feeback). Overall, a lopsided positive response on Tuesday.

4. Wednesday I put out a big ugly green sign with more details about the proposed changes, which asked folks to go to Slug-Lines.com to see more details and provide input. The response on the website was pretty limited, with the "yeahs" and "nays" pretty evenly split. The "nay's" were focused primarily on the 2-line concept (it's nearly unanimous the line direction needs to be reversed). The "yeahs" suggested we at least try the 2-line proposal, and then go back to 1 line if it doesn't work. Since the majority of the overall responses from these 2 days was positive, the next step was to move from the "proposal" stage to the "plan" stage. KEY POINT: I didn't make a unilateral decision, but relied on the direct feedback I was given. I'm aware there were likely folks who kept quiet who disagreed with the proposals, but there were also likely folks who thought it was a good idea but didn't say so. At any rate, the available data after all this effort was still overwhelmingly positive.

5. Thursday I handed out 250 maps between 0530-0700, announcing the changes effective on Monday. Of the folks who told me it was either a "good idea" or "bad idea" (around 20 people), the "good ideas" were about a 3-to-1 majority. Most of the "bad idea" folks were against the 2-line change, with about half of them commenting that they're willing to go ahead and give it a try for a while and switch back to 1 line if it's not working. Feedback on the website was still limited, with the "good ideas" slightly outnumbering the "bad ideas". I had been prepared to pull the plug on the 2-line proposal if I had received a bunch of negative input that day, but it didn't happen.

6. Friday I put out another stack of about 150 maps, to ensure anyone who didn't receive one Thursday got one. There are probably about 30 of them that were not picked up.

Those are the facts of the process. In hindsight, I would have done a few things slightly different, but the good Lord knows I sure ain't perfect. I'm no authority figure or decision-maker, I'm just trying carry forward what a lot folks (the majority I've heard from) think are good proposals, and I'll take the heat for whatever goes wrong. I understand lines may be "temporairly" long due to gas prices or VRE problems, but we need to keep a long-term focus....Stafford is growing like crazy and our slug line will only get busier. Change will be easier now than later.

Monday may be a bit bumpy, but then let's see how it goes for a while, and then reevaluate. What have we got to lose?

Again, thanks for all the input received, sorry for the long post.

Wade

JDivine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 4:40pm
I LOVE the idea of having the sluggers face the other direction and forcing drivers to go to the far end of the island. It's dangerous for the cars to be forced to line up to and beyond the traffic signal on Mine Rd. and the sluggers must walk in the driving lane to find out where the drivers are headed!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 3:56pm
TJR,

Are you a driver?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 3:24pm
Well add me to the list of supporters of the change. I too have been slugging from both lots for the past couple of years. First and foremost, the old lot has had the VA and DC lines seperated for a while now and it works great. Granted there are some bumps with the VA line, but not that many that I need to worry about.

Reversing the line just makes sense because there are times when cars will stack up. Stacking the cars out to Mine Rd. is not only unsafe but also blocks access into the lot as well as blocking parking spaces on the far side. I have seen this happen several times (especially on Fridays). Besides who here enjoys being the first person in line having to walk out to all the awaiting cars and yell destinations to the rest who wait.

Thanks Wade for stepping up to the plate. Look forward to the change.
TJR View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 12:03pm
I've been slugging since we originally formed the slug line at the Old 610 Lot and have been using the Mine Road Lot for nearly 2 years. I really don't see the problems you are attempting to address and are opposed to the changes you are about to make.

The direction of the line makes much more sense and generally works quite. Once in awhile people at the front of the line will walk the cars as they pull up and announce destinations, and this will muck up the system. It really is quite simple; the cars enter at the front of the line and continue toward the end of the line until they find riders. If they don't find any riders, they can wait at the end of the line until they find a rider. It is time consuming and creates confusion to make drivers drive from the back to the front of the line and call out their destination. Often the riders will need to walk up to the car from the middle or back of the line, and at the Old 610 lot, riders would jump into the car from the back or middle of the line leaving those who have waited longer at the front of the line frustrated.

The line at Mine Road has rarely been very long until recently, when VRE began experiencing delays due to CSX with track issues, and the most recent price gouging at the gas pumps. I have been “slugging” around 10 years in Stafford, and a number of years before that when I lived in Dale City. I have watched as the price of gas goes up, or there are issues with other forms of commuting, the lines will temporarily grow longer then eventually as riders return to driving or other methods of commuting the lines will return to their previous lengths.

I resent when someone decides for the rest of us that he should make major changes to the slug lines claiming to have surveyed the lines when I am there every day between 6-6:30am and was never asked. I also note there are only a few people responding on the message board - I did not realize that a requirement for input on decisions on how I slugged required I participate in this web site. It took me a while to find this topic, and only found it because I was diligent in searching for it. The first I heard of the changes was a sign followed by the handouts announcing that it was going to happen. As flyers were handed out, most of the people quietly received the flyers without comment and this does not necessarily define a positive response. Many folks may not have had time to digest the information determine what it means.

That’s about all I have to say on the subject right now, because I have to get back to work.

AF Engineer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 10:47am
OK, here's the feedback I received this morning while I handed out 250 maps (I ran out at around 0700). Of the folks who told me it was either a "good idea" or "bad idea" (around 20 people), the "good ideas" were about a 3-to-1 majority. Most of the "bad idea" folks were against the 2-line change, with about half of them commenting that they're willing to go ahead and give it a try for a while and switch back to 1 line if it's not working.

A couple of quick points:
1. Neither of these changes were "my ideas"...these were suggestions made by both riders and drivers that I happen to agree with. I just decided to try and move the process forward, even if it means taking some criticism.

2. These changes were initially thrown out as proposals. Of the feedback received, the vast majority was positive. Now that they're "plans", the majority of the feedback is still positive. I'm certainly not bent on getting "my way", but acting on what info I've got to go on. Had the majority of the feedback been negative, I would have ceased and desisted.

I hope folks are willing to give both ideas a shot. It might be a little rough the first day or two, but I (and many others) think this has a lot of benefit. Thanks to those who provided feedback (both positive and negative).

Wade p.s. I will make sure more maps are available Fri for the 0700-0800 sluggers/riders...
RKx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 9:03am
The map showed a layout not unlike the Pentagon, with 2 lines. 1 for DC and 1 for VA.

If you have slugged from the Pentagon, you have seen incredible amounts of people move thru the line in record times. Granted the driver traffic is high too, but it is incredibly efficient.

I wasn't to keen on the 2 line deal until it was explained in detail.

But I liked what I read on this board last night and the map this morning. I think it will help the situation. And like N or S Bound stated, if it doesn't, we have lost nothing. and we can change it back. But at least give it a try.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 8:51am
Ok, we've got someone who has pulled in inputs from a group of people and believes the plan that's come together is a plausible solution. Let's see what comes from it. Nothing demands that things stay the same once these changes are tried. Slugging is all about FLEXIBILITY.

Flounder, welcome to the forum. A quick read through the etiquette (if you've not yet) will show it IS driver's perogative to pick up people they know from the back of the line if they so choose. I drive almost exclusively now for the foreseeable future and I do pick up friends I've not talked to in awhile. If it weren't permitted, I probably wouldn't (had to leave myself an "out" there). Mine Road does not work as smoothly as other slug lines where the cars approach from the rear of the line. Drivers realize this who have been doing this for any amount of time with multiple lines (I have). Turning this sucker around will be more efficient for all concerned.

No comments on the 1 vs 2 line comments. Doesn't impact me too much, but the old 610 lot example works well (e.g. flow thru the "DC line" to the "Pentagon line" as a driver). Seems a good answer, not sure what the map showed this morning.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Flounder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2005 at 8:25am
I've been using that lot for 13 months straight now, and haven't seen a problem. Count me among those opposed to both changes and I'll state my reasons.

Why NOT to change the line direction? Because cars will stop short of the head of the line to pick up folks they know/recognize, therefore causing the folks who have been in line longer to wait longer for a ride. Don't say it won't happen because it did happen at the other 610 lot. Tempers among the riders will start flaring up and we won't have the quiet civilized line that Mine road has enjoyed up this point.

Why NOT make TWO separate lines? Because before 6:30 there is not enough Downtown traffic to establish a downtown line. Currently, the downtown folks can wait in the one line with everyone else, and if by exception a DC car comes along they can step out of the line and get in that car. Otherwise, they get a ride to the Pentagon when their turn comes up. It has worked just fine. Since the predominance of traffic later in the morning goes downtown, then there should still be no problem with just one line. It simply means that the folks in the line need to cooperate by passing the destination of the driver down the line. THAT has never been a big deal.

[:(!]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic