Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can fix 610 Mine Road.....on Mon 12 Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commuter13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:28am
Wade,

I understand your reply, but respectfully disagree. "Cross-pollination" of riders and drivers occurs at a much higher rate. And it mostly affects the drivers, with the riders at a lower rate. It is, at times, acceptable to a driver to drop off at the Pentagon and then continue travel into DC than to sit for 10 minutes waiting for a rider. Under your method, this would not be an option. So a L'Enfant or 23rd St driver could be sitting across the parking lot with Pentagon riders on the other side, where if there were only one line both rider and driver could be moving toward DC.

I know that you have more than admirable intentions, but one well-formed line will have better result for the system.

RKx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:43am
Agreed, Commuter13.

1 line reversed direction makes more sense.

Thanks
AF Engineer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:58am
I see your point. But let's say there's no D.C. riders for a D.C. driver to pick up. He/She doesn't have to sit there waiting for riders to come along....they can take the 20 seconds it would take to swing around to the Pentagon line and pick up riders there.

I still believe this happens very infrequently, and the overall time saved for the vast majority of the riders/sluggers by having 2 shorter lines is much greater than for these occasional situations you describe.

Here's a thought...on those rare occasions where a D.C. driver does not have D.C. slugs to pick up, they're willing to pick up Virginia slugs (since the Virginia dropoffs are on their way to downtown). However, perhaps the opposite would not hold true, i.e. a D.C. driver would not bother to pick up downtown slugs to drop off, because they would have to backtrack back to Virginia. Is this true?

If true, perhaps it would make more sense to have the D.C. line on the south end of the median (the first line they'd come to). If no slugs are there for them, they simply pull forward and grab some Virginia slugs on the north end of the median.

Thoughts?

Wade
RKx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:06am
Wade,

While what you are proposing, is not unatainable, it is inconvenient for the drivers and the riders.

So far you have had input for 2 other riders and a driver that has given you a direction change for the line as a solution that would make most happy.

This lot is not set up like the old lot on the other side. This would cause a huge problem.

In my opinion.
minerdhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minerdhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:38am
The more I read the posts in this forum and in the other one you have started under General and in talking to the driver and other slug this morning, sounds like most people would prefer to try the one line approach but reversed.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:46pm
Thanks again for the input. While it's true the "nays" outnumber the "yeahs" by a margin of 3 to 2 on the two forums here for splitting into 2 lines, most of the personal feedback I've gotten for both slug line changes has been positive. I stood in the slug line Tuesday a.m. for about 1.5 hours and announced these 2 proposals to probably around 150 folks. I had 2 people give me negative feedback (1 said line direction was fine, 1 said we can't interfere with bus lane). I had probably a dozen or so verbally say things like "good ideas" or "about time", and lots of folks nodding their heads (perhaps I put them to sleep?). I talked to my fellow riders/drivers the last 2 mornings and they thought both proposals were good. I just wanted to let you know the feedback I'm getting, and that's all I have to go on at this point.

Converting to 2 lines may be rough for the first day or two as drivers/sluggers get used to it, but grumbling about any change (even if it's beneficial) is human nature...even when it's something as simple as this is.

I don't think it's been shown that having 2 lines is inconvenient for drivers/sluggers or that it will make things worse (I didn't see a specific response to my last post on that issue, it would be great to get feedback on putting a D.C. lot on south end of median). I think I've answered every argument intelligently (???), and been objective enough to change course when the facts presented themselvs (i.e. scrapping idea of using part of the Bus Pool Lane for slugging).

I'm still open to ideas/input, including how to make the transition go smooth. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Wade
minerdhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minerdhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:33pm
So it sounds like you've made up your mind for the entire lot that it should be 'your' way? I say try the one line (reversed) change and see how it goes...If it works or doesn't work then approach the 'two line' option.
DREWC1966 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREWC1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:50pm
I like the idea. It feels strange waiting to go to DC while everyone behind you passes you up while going to the P-Gon. Great initiative. It can work.

ANDREW COOK JR
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:54pm
Wow, please read my post above again, I think you've missed something. I'm not unilaterally deciding for the entire lot...I threw 2 ideas out there and spent a lot of personal time getting input and suggestions...and the majority of people who cared to respond thought both proposals were good. We're not going to make 100% of the folks happy, but seems if most of the respondees are for it, why not go for it?

I'm certainly no authority figure, but based on the feedback I've seen both here in the forums and in person, I say we try the 2-line way. If it's a flop (which I seriously doubt), we go back to 1 line...

I sure can't take credit for these ideas (though I think they're both good). I've been hearing people talk about them for months now.

Thanks!

Wade
Commuter13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commuter13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
I know you really want this change and you can sell it to just about anyone that either does not care or does not understand, which probably accounts for almost every one.

Personally, I will get to work regardless, but analytically, you are incorrect. I cannot state it any other way. No matter how you frame the idea, decreasing the mix of options is not more efficient. The answer is to be more efficient in the management of one line. I suggest you do some research into Queuing Theory.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic