Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can fix 610 Mine Road.....on Mon 12 Sep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I can fix 610 Mine Road.....on Mon 12 Sep
    Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 8:51pm
610 Mine Road Sluggers & Drivers,

OK, I've seen lots of threads to fix our system - I've even seen threads (and heard 2 drivers personally) that are threatening to quit stopping at the Mine Road lot unless we "get our act together". OK, so that's a little harsh, but I think we can significantly improve the efficiency for both drivers and sluggers - I'll volunteer to step up and help lead the change. I see 2 basic changes needed:

1. Need to have 2 seperate lines: Pentagon, and All Others. The Pentagon line (which will probably be the longest) will remain in the same place. The All Others Line will be on the other side of the median - cars will still approach from the same direction; however, we might need to adust the exact location of this line on the median based on the buses (?)

2. Need to switch line direction so cars approach from rear of line, instead of approaching from the front. Said another way, we need to turn the line around and face the other direction(i.e. cars still come from the same direction they always have).

I need honest, constructive feedback on these ideas - what do you think?

If I get positive (or little) feedback, here's what I propose to do. Starting this Tuesday 6 Sept, I will be at the Mine Road Slug Lot 5:40 a.m. to about 6:30 a.m. and I'll start talking this idea up and getting ideas/input. If the response is positive, I will print up a cheat sheet with a sketch of the parking lot showing the new system, and pass out copies Thurs/Fri (8-9 Sept). We'll rely also on word of mouth (slugs telling drivers & friends) as well as this Message Board.

On Monday 12 Sep I'll be the first one there to get the new system going - I'll make temporary signs helping drivers, and will pass out more cheat sheets for anyone who didn't get the word. It will probably be a little rough the first few days, but I don't think it will take long.

That's my proposal - I'd sure like your constructive feedback...

Thanks!

Wade

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:29am
AF Engineer,

Good, thanks. Last week was gonna be my last trip to Mine Road. I'll give it until next Monday to see if it's fixed. Failing that and afterwards, I'll be at the old 610 lot picking folks up.

Appreciate your efforts. My slugs this morning said "someone" was talking about the changes and they plan to come to this website to "express themselves".

Get the direction changed and I'll still be at Mine Road.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
minerdhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minerdhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 8:26am
First off, thank you for taking on the task. I'm up for the change, as long as it is organized the right way. LOTS of well-marked signs are a MUST! Another suggestion would be that when you say "two lines, Pentagon and then all others" You need to include Rosslyn and Crystal City in the Pentagon line and then have all the 'in-city destinations (i.e. 14th; 18th; Navy Annex, etc.)' in the other line, that way you have Northern VA all in one line and you have all Downtown DC in the other. You can not have ONLY a Pentagon line that would be TOO confusing. My two cents, I hope the changes work...
AF Engineer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 8:41am
Thanks guys,

90% of the feedback this morning was positive, so looks promising....

Minerdhov is correct, the 2 lines will be "Virginia" (Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn, Navy Annex) and "D.C." (Lafonte, 14th, Navy Yard, 18th, 23rd, etc.).

1 other change to the proposed plan below - I think we'll have to keep both lines on the same side of the median. I thought perhaps we could take part of the bus lane, but after talking to late-morning folks and a bus driver, that wouldn't be prudent. There will still be 2 lines: the "Virginia" line will remain where it's at (facing the other direction), and the "D.C." line will be at the other end of that long median. Minimal change to traffic flow, this should work fine, and we really wouldn't even need signs (though I might make temporary ones).

Unless I get mounds of negative feedback, I'll have flyers (w/map) tomorrow morning for the riders to look at and then give to their driver. We should be good to go next Monday a.m.....thanks for the feedback!

Wade
RKx2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKx2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 9:36pm
First off, Thanks for the coordinated effort.

Why is it that the VA line makes a direction change and the DC line gets displaced???

Just a question because I believe there are some folks that will take issue with that one.

I think changing the direction of the line is enough. It will eleviate the bunching up that occurs in the am.

Make this complicated for one group or the other and the cars will leave anyway. If they don't the slugs will and the cars will follow.

Just some thoughts.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 4:50am
There was a question above about why the D.C. line gets displaced. Well, if we split it up, 1 or the other will have to be in a seperate location, correct? There was no ill will or devious design by making the D.C. folks move down to the end....but 1 of the groups has to change spots.

It's only 50 yards...I really hope folks don't make a big deal about that. I don't think this is complicated at all...it's exactly what they're doing at the other Mine Road lot, except their lines are much farther apart.
minerdhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minerdhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:07am
okay now I'm confused! So you will have two lines on the same side of the median, one starting at one end and the other one starting at the other end of that long median and you have the ends of both lines meeting somewhere in the middle? In talking to some fellow downtown slugs yesterday and drivers, seems everyone else feels that having just one line (two lines might be too confusing) and reversing it might be the better solution because sometimes some 'downtowners' like the option of going to Rossyln or Crystal City or even the Pentagon if rides for downtown are slow. They will not have that option if the lines are split.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 8:09am
One line arranged CORRECTLY works well.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Commuter13 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commuter13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:02am
I also commend you on the effort. There are two issues that are being addressed.
First, changing the direction of the rider line. This will not have any effect on the rider, but may help the driver on days when cars are backed up. For this reason, this change will not hurt and may improve the overall system and should be supported.

Second, breaking up the lines, is basically going from one Queue to two Queues. This will have a negative effect on both the rider and the driver. Currently, with one Queue, there are possible mixes of riders and drivers that encompass all possible destinations. Many times both riders and drivers modify their destinations in order to make the best use of their time (moving is better than not moving). By eliminating possible mixes of riders and drivers, you will be increasing the wait time for all within the system. This is basic Queuing and Inventory Management Theory.

Inventory (the amount of riders in line or Queue) = Throughput (Arrival rate of riders) X Cycle time (Time riders wait for a service, or wait for a car)

By moving to two Queuing lines, you are increasing the Variability between the rider mix and the driver mix. Increased Variability will increase the Cycle Time of the entire system. Thereby, increasing the overall amount of time riders waiting for a ride, or increasing the overall wait time within the system.

Recommendation: Change the direction of the Riders Line.
Do not break up the line, Retain one Queue.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AF Engineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 10:04am
Commuter13,

Good input, thanks, though I disagree with you on the 1 vs. 2-line concept. The 2 lines are broken up logically between 2 general areas that are fairly far apart (N. Virginia & downtown D.C.). Drivers will still have plenty of "variability" or options - if Virginia drivers are going to Crystal City but don't have any Crystal City riders, they can still pick up Pentagon or Navy Annex riders. Likewise, if D.C. drivers are going to 18th, they can still pick up L'Enfant or 23rd St riders. Only on extremely rare occasions will drivers have to "cross-pollinate", or pick up riders from one general area (VA or D.C.) if they're going to another general area. Overall, 2 lines will increase driver/rider cycle time (decreasing wait time), since we're not waiting for folks to walk from the middle/back of a long line, which tends to back cars up.

That's why the other 610 slug lot operates this way, and with N. Stafford continuing to grow (Austin Ridge, etc.), our Mine Road traffic will only continue to increase. The majority of the feedback I've gotten is that 2 lines are better than 1, for now and especially in the future.

Hope this makes sense. Again, great feedback and I appreciate your constructive attitude. Thanks!

Wade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic