Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow down and save money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:49am
To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:53am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.

That's what i'm talking about! As soon as they make a hybrid Expedition, i'm gettin it! [:D]
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 11:43am
Lessee, Ford has made the Escape, Explorer, Expedition and Excursion.

I think their next one, had we not hit this "bump in the road" with prices at the pump, would've been called the Excessive.

I'm not anti-SUV as long as it's 4WD capable and used accordingly with a full load of folks onboard. Never did understand having them on the highway solely. A Lexus or Cadillac SUV makes NO sense to me, but then I'm fairly dense when it comes to such things.

I'm from Texas. Our idea of a cadillac was a 4WD Ford F-x50. That was sporty and utilitarian in its usage!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]Another interesting test and comparison.
I did my quarterly maintenance to the wife's 5.9L Durango Monday, and installed some of those premium platinum sparkplugs and used synthetic motor oil.

Taking the car for an on and off highway roadtest, I got an average 19 MPG per the trip computer. Feeling happy with my $80 investment in the plugs and oil, I reset the computer when I got home.

My honey took the car to Walmart (20 mile round trip), and I checked the computer when she got home - a miserable 13 MPG or about what she gets without designer plugs and oil.

Driving style makes a huge difference.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

No wonder you have to charge people, your part of the problem with that 5.9l V8 Hemi Durango....
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 12:57pm
------------------------------------------------------
MSNBC Breaking News
------------------------------------------------------

Ford recalls 3.8 million pickup trucks and SUVs due to engine fire concerns -

That's all the email said folks.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:00pm
DHACIM,
I do not charge people, I accept tips.

Why do you and so many others try so hard to demonstrate your ignorance?

Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:37pm
quote:
Originally posted by 122582
[br]DHACIM,
I do not charge people, I accept tips.

Why do you and so many others try so hard to demonstrate your ignorance?

Accepting tips for a service in which you are already getting paid for with your time, which hopefully is worth more than $3 to you.

Sorry, didn't mean to start an arguement over semantics.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 1:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]To save the most gas, we should all get hybrids and start/stop the whole way in. I think if we kept the speed down around 10mph max, we could use almost no gas.

To save the most gas, best not to travel at all! Of course, that's just as dumb. Or is it?
Thanks again, MDC, for admitting that hybrids are better than conventional cars.
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:07pm
I have tried this too and Really I didn't notice any difference in gas consumption. I set the cruise at 60, 75 and 85 (when on travel)

My gas mileage remained 31 miles per gallon
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 2:31pm
NoSB: Here's the recall notice from the Washington Post:

Ford Recalls 3.8 Million Pickups, SUVs

By Ken Thomas
Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, Sept. 7, 2005; 1:03 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday recalled 3.8 million pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles for a cruise control switch suspected of causing engine fires. It is the fifth largest auto industry recall in U.S. history.

Ford said the recall of 1994-2002 model-year vehicles includes the company's hot-selling F-150 pickup truck, Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Broncos. The company said it would start sending out recall notices to vehicle owners immediately.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the No. 2 U.S.-based automaker have been investigating complaints of engine fires linked to the switch.

NHTSA has received more than 550 complaints of engine fires from the cruise control switch. There have been allegations of three deaths in cases cited in news reports or lawsuits in Iowa, Georgia and Arkansas.

The affected vehicles include: 1994-2002 model F-150s, 1997-2002 Expeditions, 1998-2002 Navigators and 1994-1996 Broncos equipped with factory-installed speed control.

"We have a solution that fixes the problem and we're confident that this is going to be the right remedy," said Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley.

Ford said its inquiry found that brake fluid could leak through the cruise control's deactivation switch into the system's electrical components, leading to potential corrosion. The corrosion could lead to a buildup of electrical current which could cause overheating and a fire.

Dealers will install a fused wiring harness to act as a circuit breaker in the system. The company said the harness would cut off electrical current to the switch if the current increases.

The concerns over the engine fires led to a recall in January of nearly 800,000 vehicles from the 2000 model year.

The Ford F-series truck has been the best-selling full-size pickup for nearly three decades. In July, when the company offered its employee discount to all buyers, Ford's F-series set a record for the highest monthly sales of any vehicle since the 1920s with total sales of 126,905 trucks, or an average 4,880 each day for the 26 sales days that month.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic