Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow down and save money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow down and save money
    Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 10:39am
I had to work Saturday, so I tried two tests. I drove to the Pentagon from Rt 3 with the cruise control set at 65 MPH. My average economy for the trip was 30.9 MPG compared to the 24 I get trying to do 75-80 MPH.

Coming home, I set the cruise control at 55 MPH and got an amazing 39.7 MPG.

And guess what? time for each trip was off by 2 minutes only, and the same as when I road rage.

Sure, there were a lot of folks passing me, but for every single finger I saw, I waved 4 back (for 40 MPG).

I'll be the 55 MPH driving driver from now on.

Support slugging - tip your driver today!
AZ Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 11:10am
Great! Now you won't have to charge your SLUGS anymore :)
msticaries View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msticaries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 7:25pm
that's nice, just stay out of the FAST lane mmmkay??
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2005 at 11:24pm
Nope, the tip jar is staying out!

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
HybridDriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HybridDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2005 at 8:26pm
quote:
Originally posted by msticaries
[br]that's nice, just stay out of the FAST lane mmmkay??

If I high-beam you, please pull over to th shoulder. The phasers do not have a "stun" setting. Wouldn't want you to get hurt!

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:21am
A good point is brought up here....folks are complaining about the high price of gas, but unwilling to change their driving habits. I can only imagine those who "protestest" the most are the ones who are riding bumpers and blasting through the speed limit with only a cursory glance (if that).

I too have modified my driving habits (was already in the process due to a couple speeding tickets in 2003 and a drivers' safety course to reduce my points this year). I am close to the speed limit, rarely exceeding it lately. I've noticed the increase in mpg too. Slower accelerations and more planning before braking are paying off too.

Some folks view the "Speed Limit" signs as being the minimum speed limit. Might wanna go back and reread that in the drivers manual, it is a maximum. There was good reason for reducing the maximum speed limits in America to 55mph back in the 70s; it was because there wasn't going to be ANY gas if folks kept slurping it down like soda pop. This time around there probably won't be a shortage, but what there will be is an impact to the economy as demand does drive price at the pumps. But the impact won't be just at the pumps, it's going to be in the wallet too as the price of everything heads for the North 40. It's all related folks. The same ones who are riding bumpers and have an indentation in the floorboard under their accelerator are also the ones who will whine the most about the increased prices and inflationary times we'll be seeing.

Take it easy. Life is a journey. I find I'm more relaxed by not pushing so hard to get on down the road plus it's good on my mpg!

Another increase to my mileage was achieved by purchasing synthetic oil. I gained another 1.5-2 mpg by switching to synthetic. Can't explain it, it did happen for my vehicle. Was tough paying that extra amount for a quart of oil, but it is paying off at the pump and the oil doesn't need changed as often either.

Just a couple thoughts on a lovely post-three day weekend "Monday".

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:36am
NoSB,
How did you find your commute time impacted? I'm curious to see if others decide that there was no real difference in time between road raging and cruising.

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 7:46am

The only real difference between the 2 methods is the frustration levels. These folks who rush from backup to backup (that's all that's really happening btw) don't notice the "slow poke" who arrives at the exit about the same time they do.

That's been my noticeable item. I've seen so many times when someone blasts past me only to be exiting at about the same time as me. I'm not disciplined enough to watch the clock that closely. I do know though that THROUGHPUT is what matters. If folks did abide by following distances, watched the road ahead (e.g. minimized braking), put their cell phones down, and drive at moderate/considerate speeds, then the flow would be much smoother without the perturbations (e.g. massive backups due to "accidents").

Just a thought.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 6:32pm
Another interesting test and comparison.
I did my quarterly maintenance to the wife's 5.9L Durango Monday, and installed some of those premium platinum sparkplugs and used synthetic motor oil.

Taking the car for an on and off highway roadtest, I got an average 19 MPG per the trip computer. Feeling happy with my $80 investment in the plugs and oil, I reset the computer when I got home.

My honey took the car to Walmart (20 mile round trip), and I checked the computer when she got home - a miserable 13 MPG or about what she gets without designer plugs and oil.

Driving style makes a huge difference.

mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 9:11am
If you trust the trip computer on a Dodge Durango, you are foolish. The only advantage of platinum sparkplugs and synthetic motor oil is the length of time between changes. It will not affect your gas mileage (at least not enough to be noticed).
Perhaps you should invest in magnets for your fuel line or maybe the Tornado Air system.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic