Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhybrids get out of the fast lanes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 6:07pm
I think you guys should just fight it out
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2005 at 1:39pm
Fighting is not necessary, but lively debates are welcome!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. But an opinion that is well-founded on fact and offers practical, workable solution options for those involved in the debate is tough to argue with. That is why so many people argue with NoSUV. NoSUV offers selfish, ego-centric opinions (buses only in HOV, perpetual hybrid exemptions, HOT advocacy, among others), that serve the interests of a few who make specific decisions to follow NoSUVs train of thought. NoSUV's ideas consider a very narrow POV, one that does not advance the issues facing the majority of the commuting public.

There is no "right" or "wrong" in this discussion, only several versions of best compromise solutions. Ultimately, the best solutions should strive to serve the needs of the majority; those that involve small changes in habits for specific gains in the goals of improved traffic management, reduced fuel consumption and polution, and are condusive to changes in fickle individual preferences.

Marketers do not have a dog in this hunt! And that is what hybrids are, a marketing phenomenon designed to appeal to "green wanabees" who commute. As with any other vehicle, anytime a hybrid travels SOV in the HOV lanes it becomes part of the problem.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2005 at 2:45pm
Actually, the problem is that we have not insisted that EVERY vehicle manufactured or imported into the US is a hybrid. Can you imagine how much better the envirionment would be? How much fuel consumption could be lowered, along with gas prices?

How do we get to this better world? We can but hope that it becomes legislated by the federal government, but in the meantime, we can help on the demand side. How do you create a demand when the new product is more expensive than the new product? Either taxpayer subsidies (they are sometimes called tax credits - only a fool would fail to see that that one person's credit is another person's tax), or non-financial incentives. Thank goodness the Virginia government decided to choose the latter incentive. And, as a bonus, it helps with the OVERALL congestion! Keep looking to your right - are you generally passing cars in the regular lanes?

Hybrid exemptions are an overall win for everyone. Haven't found a single delegate against continuing the exemption. Have you?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2006 at 2:34pm
NoSUV, your "better world" may be called "NoSUV Land," where everyone looks, thinks and acts like you, or it could be called "Fantasy Land," where your strange dreams come true, but it will never be called reality. There are too many different people with different tastes, preferences and priorities for a one-size-fits-all solution like hybrids.

How exactly does increased hybrid production and sales lower gas prices? And as long as we sell 15 million new cars each year in North America consumption is headed in only one direction, up.

If it looks and smells like a fish, guess what it is?! Any hybrid "solution" that burns fossil fuel is not a solution! Any vehicle that has less than three people is not HOV. Sorry, I'm with Willie on this one: BioDiesel is the future!
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2006 at 12:39pm
quote:
And, as a bonus, it helps with the OVERALL congestion!

Hybrids are not helping congestion. As long as you remain a single driver, you add to congestion. Carpooling helps congestion, not exemptions.
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 12:11pm
Looking at the big picture, all possible options to move trafic, reduce congestion (on the road and parking) and cut emmisions should be welcomed. I take the train, bike and bus but usually slug 3-4 days per week. Having used every option that I'm aware of, slugging is by far the most efficient. There are times, however, that I must move to and from work outside of the HOV times (another issue). It's those times that the other mentioned options as well as my motorcycle and hybrid are a life saver.

As humans, I think we need incentives to introduce and grow improvements (i.e. hybrids and motorcycles and HOV lanes themselves). Without the incentives, who would really pay that much more for a car - who would bother to stop and pick up strangers?

Bikes do use much less fuel (50mpg+), put out less polution, less lane space (staggerd riding allows 10 bikes in the space of 3 small cars) and take much less parking space. Hybrids do use less fuel (30mpg and 38mpg in stop and go, yes, I keep track - for a family SUV, that's great) and this is just the beginning of what we can achieve, but only if there are buying dollars to push it. Incentives. Improvement.

TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 12:30pm
Bikes are nice, but are you going to bike 25+ everyday to and from work? What about your suit, if you have to wear one, what about the rain, SNOW, and such?
Patriot37 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patriot37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 8:27pm
Well... as stated, I bike, bus, train and slug so of course I couldn't bike my 50+ miles every day. I do wear a suit every day and find it rides quite well or on the hot days, it lays nicely in the back. I don't mess with the snow at all (not since I was 18 anyway) and rairly mess with the rain. On the rain days, I'm happy to help a fellow slugger out of the rain. Oh, have you ever noticed how thin the rider line is on a rainy day? My umbrella works just fine. Happy days. See you on the road.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 12:06pm
The HOV commute stunk this morning and it took me almost 2 hrs to get in. Big part of it was the hybrids. Looked around. My driver and I agreed that on our section of the backup -about 40 percent hybrids. The politicos need to be reminded again and againt that they are going to pay for this.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 12:38pm
Bob, Hybrids had NOTHING to do with your commute this morning. Express lanes were shut down just past the beltway for an accident.

Big part is that you can't seem to focus on where the problems are - instead, blaming everything on hybrids. Won't take long before you are blaming rain, drought, weeds, Redskins scores, and more on hybrids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic