Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhybrids get out of the fast lanes!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 11:34am
July 2006
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 3:41pm
And yet, all delegates seem to agree with governor elect that the hybrid exemption must continue. By the way, are the express lanes still faster than the regular lanes?

Slugs should form a team of 2 - one to keep time and one to count. Figure out how many cars per minute you are passing in the regular lane, and report it with the time of the commute.

I doubt slugs would post an honest answer - the data would clearly show the need for continuing the exemption. Thank goodness the VA government already knows that!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 4:35pm
I think that if you commute from the far southern reaches I could see being frustrated when the traffic backs up before the Pentagon.

Yes, even at a crawl, traffic does move faster than the regular lanes. There are spits and spurts when the regular lanes seem to open up and I guess that can be frustrating.

As for continuing to keep hybrids on the road, I would say "no" if the powers that be plan to keep HOV intact. But since the winds seem to be blowing in the direction of HOT, then hybrids will either pay tolls, carpool, use regular lanes, or use public transportation.

May the campaigning should be at the Federal level. Can the Feds overturn Virginia's plan to turn HOV into HOT?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 7:41pm
Another item of interest. It appears that Governor elect Kaine plans to extend the hybrid extention as part of his transportation plan. Delegates in this region support that. Don't take my word for it - check with your delegate. Sample email:
"Dear Delegate: What is your position on extending the hybrid exemption in the express lanes during peak commuting hours past its expiration in July 2006?"
Response guaranteed to be in favor of extention, along with some double speak about checking for congestion in the express lanes. You could try to bias their answer by putting your own desire into the email, but then you'd be unlikely to find out where they really stand. Once you know exactly where they stand, you can easily then follow up with an email telling them that you don't support their position, and provide facts why they should change.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2005 at 10:19pm
NoSUV,
How much time do drivers and slugs spend parking, and/or waiting in lines? Do you take that into account when you do your traffic analysis? I guarantee that the regular lanes would be faster for some people on some days, and it's only made much worse with the non-HOV hybrids slowing things down.

Why aren't you for reducing the total number of cars on the road instead of your self-serving hypocricy?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 3:03pm
First NoSUV defends the hybrid exemption, then HOT lanes, what's next!? Where exactly do you stand NoSUV?

Only this is for sure, NoSUV is not a slugger. And if this is so, then what is the NoSUV agenda in this forum? I suspect NoSUV is a propiganda spreader; an operative for a politician, a contractor, a lobbyist, a PR perpetrator, or some other deciever intent on influencing the opinions of the commuting public.

Dare we engage NoSUV in debate, lest our arguments become ammo in the political process used against us.

NoSUV, the jig is up!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 10:46am
raymond - please review my past posts and you will see that I quite clearly state why I engage on this discussion board.

Umm, why do you? Have yet to see you post anything remotely intelligent.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 2:22pm
He's right, you know: he has been upfront about being a troll several times.

I can't figure out what for, though. Sometimes he is for high-breds, sometimes he is agin 'em. But the idea that more asphalt is the answer... well, that is a pretty consistent thread in his writings. A persistent, ill-informed thread.

I wish he'd just go away, but he hasn't yet.

Tell me when he's gone. [|)]
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2005 at 2:20pm
So, absent an intelligent argument you resort to character attacks? That's pretty low! But what exactly is a troll? If that is a compliment, thanks Sponge!

I have been open and articulate about my position; I am a driving and riding participant in the slugline/HOV system and I am opposed to all HOV exemptions. I have nothing against hybrids, only hybrids that carry less than three occupants in the HOV lanes. I object to any vehicle that carries less than the optimal number of passengers needed to reduce traffic, smog and fuel consumption.

I also object to anyone who does not participate in the HOV system pontificating about what should and should not be allowed in the HOV lanes. A single occupant hybrid does not qualify as a High Occupancy Vehicle.

I also object to HOT, which amounts to preferential treatment by law enforcement based on financial status. That is discrimination, plain and simple!

I don't support the idea that more asphalt is the answer, only better use of the existing asphalt. For example: what about flex-lanes, such as those you see on major bridges in Philadelphia and New York, that change direction as the traffic flow demands. And what about making better use of the wide sholders in the HOV lanes? Could they be converted into lanes?
Here's something else that belongs in the "Ideas" section: What about changing HOV3 to HOV4? That would take even more commuters off the road.

If some authors in this forum spent more time suggesting ideas that benefit those involved, instead of holing up in ego-centric, self-serving, narrow-minded camps and attacking anyone who disagrees we might come up with some real solutions.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2005 at 2:52pm
raymond: Just to be clear, it is implied by your statement that you are also against motorcycles using express lanes during HOV hours. Is that correct?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic