Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motorcycles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motorcycles
    Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 8:06pm
What is the general opinion about Motorcycles on the HOV? Having one myself I limit riding it on HOV due to my constant fear meeting my maker on 95. Will the motorcycle rule expire with the hybrid rule in July 06??

V/R
ADJGUY
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 7:43am
Opinions...remember this is merely my opinion based on observations...

Funny you should ask, yesterday was a terrible day concerning motorcycles. If I were to base my opinions of all motorcycle riders on yesterday's displays by them, I'd be actively campaigning to have them removed from the HOV.

1. Weaving in and out of traffic with no turn signals and not allowing sufficient space. Now, the responses here can be along the lines of differing stopping distances and acceleration rates for enclosed vehicles vs motorcycles. My stopping distance doesn't care if it's a motorcycle or 18 wheeler that's just cut me off. I'm sure the truck driver has a better chance of survival if I smash into him after he's cut me off though.

2. Passing on the right (even when there's no lane there). Already illegal even with a lane there (I think, could be wrong), but when there is only shoulder there, obey the laws. Worried about blindspots? When I'm in the right lane already, there shouldn't be much in my blindspot on that side. Yesterday there were 2 different instances of motorcycles being there when there was NO LANE to the right of me. Go figure. Want to receive "respectable cushion" around you as a motorbike driver? Obey the laws and I'll gladly comply too.

3. Excessive speed. Yeah, your bike accerates faster than my automobile, way faster (and I don't have a slow car), it gets you to the scene of the accident all the faster too. On a side note: VDOT cleanup crews should probably carry buckets, sponges and spatulas to get the splat spot off the road after the motorcyclist meets their "early demise". One good reason to wear leathers--keeps most of the pieces in one body bag for easy cleanup after the inevitable accident.

Ok, specific to HOV, but related to above:

Motorcycles are SOVs, plain and simple. They should be afforded cushion space equal to a car of equal length (Honda Insight?). They don't always get it, but then more times than not, I see them violating their own following distance and passing rules. They contribute to congestion even though fuel economy and MAYBE environmentally they are better (noise pollution is still pollution of a sort). HOV has one of its goals to reduce congestion, SOVs don't do that, period (I don't care if it's buses, vanpools, carpools, as long as they meet the standard for HOV). Ok, legislators made the decision (foolish though it was) to include motorcycles in the HOV, whatcha gonna do? Vote the bums out, but first tell them how you want it to be.

My understanding (no sources to quote) was that motorcycles were put in the HOV to increase their chances of survivability since the main lanes were "too dangerous" for them. It's the driver, not the environment that determines survivability to the greatest degree. Most important piece of safety gear in any vehicle is the loose nut behind the controls. Tighten that one up and everything will flow smoother.

Motorcycles slow down the HOV as much as a car when there's an accident. Witnessed that a few times in the past 6 months,eh?

Don't see the motorcycle rule expiring without some vocal expressions from the voters. Would like to see it though myself.

Maybe HOV should be all buses and motorcycles? NOT!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 8:53am
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]What is the general opinion about Motorcycles on the HOV? Having one myself I limit riding it on HOV due to my constant fear meeting my maker on 95. Will the motorcycle rule expire with the hybrid rule in July 06??

V/R
ADJGUY

Most of them in HOV are better drivers than the crotch rocket drivers you see on the weekends. At their current levels I don't see them as a big problem. I wish the EPA had better emissions rules for them, but I think that's changing. California has been pushing the emissions levels down. If more people rode motorcycles we'd have smaller parking lots(impervious surfaces) and the amount of runoff would be less resulting in cleaner water, but if that was the case their would be too many in the HOVs and I'd want them out. A catch 22.
When will the first hybrid motorcycle come out? [:)] I know there is a fuel cell motorcylce out there.
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 9:14am
Only motorcycle traffic jam I have been in was at Daytona for Bike Week. Dont see it as a big deal. Just my Opinion
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 10:50am
However, when the hybrid exemption ends, standby for the demise for motorcycles to use HOV lanes. Too many people can draw parallels between SOV hybrids and SOV motorcycles.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 10:51am
I don't believe motorcycles are included in the hybrid expiration next year. Motorcycles have always been allowed as far as I know.
AveMaria View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AveMaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 11:03am
I have no problem with motorcycles in the HOV lanes. Prolly alot safer for them vice the regular lanes.[;)]
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 11:07am
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I don't believe motorcycles are included in the hybrid expiration next year. Motorcycles have always been allowed as far as I know.

Ah, but because there are so few differences between SOV hybrids and motorcycles, be sure that if SOV hybrids are kicked out of the express lanes, motorcycles will too.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 11:40am
NoSUV,

You're too funny. Still looking for allies. I'm sure the motorcycles won't be expunged (expelled) from the HOV. (at least that's what I want them to think!)

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 1:01pm
Cycles won't disappear because of the "safety" issue. Plus there aren't too many on HOV -- consider them flies that go splat when they hit the pavement. Can't say ALL cyclists are irresponsible but it's the young blokes who like the rockets that give the rest a bad name. I ignore them and let them pass -- the irresponsible ones will eventually win a Darwin Award.

It it weren't for the fact I wear a skirt to work, don't like flies in my teeth, and rain in my face, I'd ride one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic