Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

will you take a third rider??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 12:21pm
I tend to agree with Rosebud. As a driver that's his choice. As a slugger I don't care if the driver takes a third or not, like Slugr says, it's driver choice. But why comment about his life sludge? We should try and keep the forum mature
bujee33 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bujee33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 10:13am
I'm with you Rosebud. Sludge, with 425 posts under your belt, I think that you have become alittle over the top with your messages.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 12:30pm
jee,
Huh? Over the top? How?

To me, Bud's post seemed awfully bitchy and petty -- like the entire slugging world owes her something. Not true, it's a two-way street to help each other out. If Bud and others like her have such an entitled attitude, the old friendly slugging system will collapse on itself. Let's be positive and help each other. I think Bud is an OK person and might have just been having a bad day. Don't we all.

Keep on sluggin'!

dicerotops View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicerotops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 5:51pm
I am a driver and a rider. Perhaps its only those (with a few wonderful excpetions) who have stood in the long slug lines that feel the compassion to take a third. Yes, you don't have to, but why not? It doesn't add that much wear and tear to the car, most sluggers are extremely courteous to the rules, and it helps everyone out.

I find no inconvenience in taking a third, and actually feel I benefit because I enjoy helping others out. These lines can get long, and remember drivers as hard as you may have it, you don't have to wait half an hour in line. You don't have to worry about getting in a car with an aggressive driver. You don't have to depend on others to get you from point A to point B and worry about getting home.

Please remember that if everyone took a third, that is several less cars required, and will let those slugs who get in line late home. Charging for the third will just start the slippery slope towards the end of slugging.
MSCUSN View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSCUSN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 6:22am
Diecer, wow!

I am a driver, unfortunately all the time, fortunately I do not have to pick up riders in the morning (and I am sure they would not like riding with me that early either). I do pick up a third, if they are someone I know and travel and are one of the regulars. But I have been verbally insulted (mostly under the breath, but you can hear the comments) if I do not pick up a third. I have no sympathy for riders who wait in line, they can, just like me they can drive. They can pick up riders, who sleep, talk on the phone, smell, try and negotiate door service once you are on the road, and slam your door (not frequent occurrences but even once a month is all too common). If the line is too long, become a driver, don’t gripe because the driver does not take a third. I do agree, charging the third is wrong, and if that were to happen (I wouldn’t) but there are several riders here who would ensure they were never a third, so it would be very unfair.

SOV - Gee, that hybrid is looking better every day.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 1:40pm
Why shouldn't riders ask? Unless the driver specifies only two riders (and most will say so up front), it dosen't hurt to ask. If NO, then the thrid wannabe should back off with a smile and a "thanks anyway." No harm, no foul. Kindness is the key!
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by dicerotops
[br]I am a driver and a rider. Perhaps its only those (with a few wonderful excpetions) who have stood in the long slug lines that feel the compassion to take a third. Yes, you don't have to, but why not? It doesn't add that much wear and tear to the car, most sluggers are extremely courteous to the rules, and it helps everyone out.

I find no inconvenience in taking a third, and actually feel I benefit because I enjoy helping others out. These lines can get long, and remember drivers as hard as you may have it, you don't have to wait half an hour in line. You don't have to worry about getting in a car with an aggressive driver. You don't have to depend on others to get you from point A to point B and worry about getting home.

Please remember that if everyone took a third, that is several less cars required, and will let those slugs who get in line late home. Charging for the third will just start the slippery slope towards the end of slugging.

I agree with you. I am on both sides, so when I do drive I take a third. [:D] Matter of fact, Potomac Mills riders keep a look out tonight because i'm comin'! [:X]
dicerotops View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dicerotops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 6:24pm
MSCUSN, I'd drive more if parking wasn't $16 a day. I'll wait in the lines for that price. I'm very patient. The lines rarely bother me. After getting stuck in D.C. after 6pm (I got in line at the pentagon at 5:15, so it isn't as if I waited until the last minute), I have started taking off at work no later than 4:30.

Still, I am always grateful to those who do choose to take three. Even if I'm not the third, I will thank the person from the slug line because it helps all of us out. I am also very grateful to the fellow who picked me and a couple other stranded slugs up the day 6pm rolled around and we were still in line.

Its impossible to know how the lines will be in the afternoon. If people choose not to take a third, we usually shrug our shoulders and move the two people up in line. But, we are extremely grateful to those who do that good deed for the day!

So a big thanks to all those who do pick up three! We know you don't have to, and really appreciate it when you do! Yay!
slugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 1:32pm
I once fit 9 people in my ford pickup----i have no problem taking more them 5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic