Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Gives at 234?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Gives at 234?
    Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 10:16am
Prior to the August recess (congressional-speak), there were ample rides out of 234. I know parking has been a problem, however, since school started it has been a driver's market at 234. Granted there were two mornings this past week when drivers waited over 30 minutes to get slugs. I am a late slugger, around 8am, and 234 has generally been a good spot for the "kiss and ride" types. Not so anymore. Since school started, I have waited up to 15 minutes for a ride. There have also been occasions when my spouse has waited and taken me to another lot, because no ride came. What gives, are folks giving up on 234?
mariam0673 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariam0673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 12:05pm
I noticed on this site that it says most riders at the 234 lot are going to the Pentagon, but that there are riders going to 14th St., also. Can anyone tell me what the chances are of picking up riders for 14th & NY around 7:30 - 7:45 in the morning?
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 12:30pm
As mentioned on other threads...this is a result of gas prices. More people are jumping to the other side (from driving to slugging) because gas is just too expensive for some. This will continue to be a problem until either (1) slugs get the hint and start tipping the drivers to help defray the more expensive cost of driving, or 2) the price of gas comes back down to earth so people who used to afford to drive can do so again.

So when people laughed at me about saying that supply and demand would take care of this on it's own...it looks like the effects are starting to show.

Maybe slugs will get the hint and realize a tiny little donation to the driver is far better than the alternatives of waiting in long lines, driving around to different lots trying to hitch a ride, or resorting to another form of transportation that actually costs money.

For there to be drivers, they must have incentive to drive and pick-up slugs. The "slugs save me time" incentive is taking a back seat to "can I afford to drive". This was very predictable...at least to an outsider like me (someone with no bias because I don't participate in slugging).
gtivr6ps View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtivr6ps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 12:59pm
Tell them to go to Horner...There is a mile long line of riders there
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 1:34pm
I think that's what he meant by "driver's market"....meaning that it's good for what divers there are left, but not good for the many slugs.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 2:53pm
I have avoided the 234 lot due to it being full very early in the morning. If there are an abundance of riders waiting that are heading to the Pentagon, then I am glad to hear that information! It will save me even more time picking up riders from there a little later, so I won't have to head up to a northern lot...and I won't be expecting a tip!

"No money is exchanged because of the mutual benefit: the car driver needs riders just as much as the slugs need a ride."

If more people decide to start riding and stop driving due to gas prices, then great! There will always be those that have to drive for whatever reasons... and if more SOVs start picking up slugs just think --the volume of people per car increases, getting more people to work faster, which has the potential of decreasing the number of cars using the main lanes too.

It's this slugging/mass transportation "culture" that we need to educate and persuade folks to utilize rather than get forced into a HOT lane situation! This whole notion of introducing "tipping" into the slug system is just preposterous! It's just another form of HOT and the acronym I give it is SHOTT defined: Slugs High Occupancy Tip Toll.

Don't forget everyone-- HOT means Toll 24x7! No more free rides for ANY SOV outside current HOV restriction times. Yes, evenings, middle of the day, and weekends!!!!!

Attend the VDOT Advisory Panel meeting Sept. 21st. It's the only VDOT meeting that was scheduled to include public comments!! Say NO to HOT! Get your opinion heard!
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 5:03pm
It's not big science. The lot gets full early in the morning. Drivers decide to look for slugs somewhere else.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 10:16pm
Actually, HOT makes a whole lot of sense. Even with the rise in gas prices, the congestion on the regular lanes hasn't significantly decreased. That should tell us that gas isn't a variable for those SOV or HOV-2 cars (95/395), and the rise in # slugs comes from drivers who were picking up slugs. To balance the OVERALL congestion, there has to be a "fair" way to get some of those cars in the regular lanes into the Express (HOV) lanes. The 2 ways that come to mind are hybrid exemption (already in use but set to expire) or HOT. Without extending the exemption, HOT becomes the best option.

It's not just about slugs - it's about the total commuting problem.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2005 at 12:40am
How can the term "fair" be used in an argument when suggesting the best 'options' requires readily available money? Money to buy the 'special' vehicle meeting criteria for the exemption, or (God forbid) entrance to a HOT lane... what's "fair" about that??? (Lexus Lane mentality) At least with slugging, all that's needed is a mindset change and no extra cash.

Just like the housing market switches back and forth from a sellers market to a buyers market over time, the same thing is happening with slugging... and the situation will be different from lot to lot, and will fluctuate to an abundance of riders vs. drivers, and the reverse. It happens. It will continue to be that way as folks move in/out of this area. There have been many times I've waited in line for slugs, often more than 15 minutes. Slugging is what it is.

I do agree there is an overall commuting problem. But I believe HOT is not the solution, not now, and not the way currently proposed for the I95/395 corridor.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 9:08am
Don't pay attention to NoSUV on this topic Sheepish. She/he can only say two things; HOT or banning regular cars from HOV lanes. At least, we, slugs and drivers, are doing something to reduce congestion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic