Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked$35 one-way commute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeridgeresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $35 one-way commute
    Posted: 22 Sep 2005 at 10:44am
An employee of the Metro Washington Council of Govnts just gave me the actual breakdown of what tolls ought to cost to inhibit congestion:
For a Lake Ridge resident, it's $35 into the city.
For a Fredericksburg resident, it's $41.21 to the city ONE WAY.

For exact numbers:
From DC to Shirlington Rd at $1.10 per mile = 4.40
From there to the beltway it's about $1 per mile, about $9
From there to Fairfax County Parkway, it's $1.60 per mile = 6.40
From there to PWC parkway, it's .80 per mile = $14.40
From there to Fredericksburg,it's .23 per mile = $6.21

Now, my milage may not be precise, but the price per mile is straight from the analysts.

I don't know about you, but we don't have $17,500 available for commuting. If too many people Slug, then the competing toll companies have mentioned they may have to charge HOVs.

How is this not a Lexus/Limo lane?

Send a letter to the editor of your newspaper. Rollison, the head of the VDOT advisory panel does not care what you think, and your elected officials have no say in the matter. At least when HOT happens, we can say we were not complacent about the decision.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2005 at 10:14am
Rollison was unseated from the 52nd District delegates chair of VA after serving many years. Can he be unseated again? Is his current position appointed? My solution, remove the problem from power.

If he's not elected, who appointed him? If he doesnt care about how we think, I dont beleive he should be head of anything. Rumor has it that Rollison received endorsements from large companies responsible for buidling road projects in Virginia while he was running for delegate, I can see how he cares about us and where his interest lies.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 8:47am
This is an interesting post from about a year ago detailing HOT costs per mile.

Can anyone validate these numbers?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2006 at 10:39am
Raymond, reviving this post may be your best contribution ever to this board. I missed it the first time because I was essentially buried under the debris of Katrina for three months.

I did manage to make the final couple of public meetings in Woodbridge on the Tool Roads. The MWCOG rep did in fact give numbers very much like this in his presentation. Rollison, the useless old has-been, didn't blink an eye because his mind was made up before he was even appointed to the council. The public meetings were a sham. He, of course, does not use I95 to commute, but heads the commission that will determine the road's fate for the next 60 years. Brilliant!

The MWCOG numbers are absolute dead-certain proof of the arguments we've been making for over a year now. How is it that the Fredericksburg paper hasn't written about this? Has anyone ever seen these MWCOG numbers printed anywhere?
lakeridgeresident View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakeridgeresident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2006 at 2:51pm
Validation:
If you would like the government-supplied copy of these numbers, just ask VDOT for a copy of the "September 20, 2005 Regional Traffic Analysis of the Clark/Shirley and Fluor-Transurban I-95-395 HOT Lanes Proposals by the National Captial Region Transportation Planning Board Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments", specifically, Table 1, page 8. The map and prices are there, but the specific areas were given to me via e-mail from a VDOT admin assistant.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 9:14am
Thank you, lakeridgeresident... a year between posts -- probably a record for holding your breath.

Anyway, we owe you a big thanks, just like we owe Rollison and his committee a big kick in the....
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 1:45pm
The title of this thread is just too good to let it languish in this forum.

Can we please all realize that this will be our commute tab soon!

HOT is evil, these Pick-pocket lanes will make us poorer, only the rich-but-foolish will be able to ride in these lanes!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 4:15pm
Not if car pools are free.[;)]
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 8:27pm
How soon Sludge forgets this important quote about where carpoolers stand if the HOT lane gets busy...you WILL pay the toll!

The quote from the May 2004 article in the Metro Section by Stephen Ginsberg

Virginia officials said plans for HOT lanes call for electronic
tolling at set on-and-off points. They said their main challenge is
designing a roadway that doesn't get clogged by carpoolers, as is
starting to happen on HOV lanes, so that there is room for enough
paying customers to finance the road project.

So once the road gets jammed, carpoolers get the shaft, to think otherwise is naive...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2006 at 10:11am
So call me naive .... VDOT's official website says HOV-3+ car pools will NOT pay a toll. Your quote says it will be a challenge to keep it that way, but it does not say carpools will definitely pay. The lanes won't be built for several years, toll technology and lessons-learned will improve over that period, and tolls plus free HOV-3 will give a bigger incentive for more car pools. That will definitely address the hybrid and other SOV exemptions that many complain about, because they will pay the SOV toll. I applaud many of you being suspicious. We need more WatchDogs, but I'm not ready to jump on the doom-&-gloom bandwagon yet. When the Commonwealth says "car pools will pay", I'll then need a seat on your wagon. Just haven't seen any hard evidence from VDOT - just website speculation -- that declares "all HOT users must pay." BTW, What's the envisioned toll from the P'gon to the Va 644 and Va 6900 HOT exits gonna be?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic