Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting HOV Restrictions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting HOV Restrictions
    Posted: 10 Sep 2002 at 3:01pm
Does anyone know who decides on lifting HOV restrictions? Is it VDOT and if it is, who or what position makes this decision.

Whenever there is a bad accident or a bad snow day, someone decides to lift restrictions. This is a relief for the single driver, but slugs usually resort to driving thus adding to the backed up volume of cars. Patient slugs might wait for the bus or train, but I personally find myself driving in alone. I've made the mistake of then driving in the HOV lanes and forgetting that everyone thinks that the HOV lanes must be better, when in actuality the regular lanes are less congested.

I think that the person making this decision should only do so in situations of absolute crisis, and I think that most of the time it is not. Do you think this is a fair gripe and if so who do I write to

gg
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2002 at 10:04am
Go to http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=267 for VDOT contact information.

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 8:43am
Thanks, I did write to VDOT's:

Mr. Loren W. Epton, Jr.
District Traffic Engineer

but I don't think he has anything to do with lifting HOV restrictions. However, I did ask that if he was not the person that made those decisions, if he would refer me to the specific office.

gg
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2002 at 3:27pm
FYI, this is the response I got back:

Thank you for you thoughtful email. VDOT is very cognizant of the impact of lifting the HOV restriction and makes every effort to uphold them when ever possible. However, there are some incidents that leave very few options other than lifting the HOV restriction. In deciding to lift the HOV restriction we consult with the Virginia State Police and Incident Commander at the scene and consider the following:

- Severity, location, time and duration of incident.

- Number of blocked lanes.

- Availability of effective detour routes.

- Traffic Flow conditions.

Please be assured that preserving Virginia’s highway resources to move people and goods safely and efficiently is our mission and goal. For example the HOV restriction has been lifted only seven times during 2001 and only two times since the beginning of 2002. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at (703) 383-2608.

Sincerely,

KamalSuliman

Traffic Operations Director
Northern Virginia District (9)

Virginia Department of Transportation

Tel.: (703) 383-2608 ~ Fax: (703) 383-2620

Kamal.Suliman@VirginiaDot.org

Although the decision is made for the overall good of traffic, HOVs always get the short end of the stick.

gg
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2002 at 8:41am
GG,
Thanks for posting this information. This will help others!

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 10:08am
Question: was the lifting of HOV restrictions yesterday justified? I was not aware of this until I slugged back with a driver who was on his cell phone and he got this info from his wife at about 5:15 PM. Unfortunately, he spoke all the way back to the parking lot and never turned on his radio, so I have no way of judging if the lifting of HOV was prudent. Yes, traffic in the HOV lanes appeared worse than the regular lanes, but keep in mind that VDOT's goal is to "move people and goods safely and efficiently"

gg
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 12:36pm
I was listening to WTOP on the long, arduous trip home and they kept saying that it was a garbage truck overturned. I come upon the scene and see that, in fact, it was a tractor trailer that had overturned. It WAS blocking all three lanes for a while, so at first the lifting of restrictions was justified. But I'm wondering this. I left my office at about 5:15 as well. I was stuck in all that traffic until the accident scene, which was removed from the travel lanes. Traffic immediately sped up to speed limit, so the crawling was, in most part, due to rubber neckers. Why don't they reimpose the restrictions if they've cleared the scene of the accident. If the accident isn't the issue anymore, why let the freeloaders on for any longer than they really should and continue to punish those who took the time to carpool/slug?
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 1:54pm
I agree with you Minrangus, they should have not lifted the HOV for so long, but then again, I've never known of a time that they have lifted it and then placed the restrictions back on. From my understanding the accident was some where around 3:00, so I dont understand why it should have affected us so much. I never saw anything when I got into the Lorton area. I also think that if the HOV is going to be lifted, they should post it on the traffic warning sign at the Pentagon. I didnt see it there last night. Maybe this way people will look for other ways home before 6:00 rolls in.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 3:49pm
It was a tractor-trailer filled with garbage, not your local neighborhood garbage truck. Still called a garbage truck though. [8D]

When I dropped off my riders I said "Now that was fun!" and they laughed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic