Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Careful:  Slugs not covered under your insurance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Careful: Slugs not covered under your insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undisclosed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Careful: Slugs not covered under your insurance
    Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 12:41pm
My co-worker who introduced me to slugging just received an opinion letter from the general counsel of her auto insurance company. According to her insurance company, passengers for hire are not covered under auto insurance.

The letter says that "for hire" includes the transfer of anything of value. Since there is a value to travelling in the HOV lanes, and since the acceptance of a slug into the car permits the driver to obtain that value, the driver/slug relationship is one for hire and excluded unless a commercial auto policy is purchased.

The letter concludes stating that any personal injury or accident claims made by a slug would not be covered under the auto policy.

She has stopped picking up slugs for fear of being personally liable if there is an accident. I don't know what to do!!!
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 12:50pm
Ah Yes, those fabulous insurance companies, THEY REALLY REALLY KNOW HOW TO COVER THEIR BUTTS!!!!!

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 1:12pm
have your passengers sign a waiver.
flatulentsluggerhugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatulentsluggerhugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 1:17pm
Maybe the insurance companies will charge and extra fee for "Slug Coverage". It wouldn't be beyond them to extort more money from us.

VOTE HOT!!!! SO GAS PASSERS LIKE ME WON'T ANNOY YOU!!!

whoever smealt it dealt it!!!!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 2:19pm
Using that, ahem, logic... taking slugs in the regular lanes wouldn't be a problem for the insurance company. Just wait until you can avoid tolls by picking up slugs.

I couln't think of an appropriate euphemism to describe what I think of the veracity of that letter.
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2005 at 3:11pm
I would love to know what insurance company this is. I talked with my agent about this slugging thing and she said they are a passanger just like anyone else. They are totally covered under your insurance policy.

The only issue comes if they aren't buckled and you have a claused in your policy about all passangers must wear seat belts.
go2grl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2grl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2005 at 8:52am
I worked at Geico in the claims department(you can stop laughing now)and this is not true. I'd love to know what that insurance company's standard of value is. Everybody has a job, family or responsibilities of some sort. Are they not of "value"? My friends are valuable to me, but since it's only emotional value, I guess when they ride with me they'll be covered and I won't be charged extra.....

go2grl

SHAKE1T
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2005 at 8:59am
My insurance company (USAA) said passengers are covered. No matter if a "slug" or not. Don't know who the insurer is but I would dump them and advise them of why so they can clear that info up.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2005 at 9:00am
...oh yeah DOWN WITH HOT!!
undisclosed-email View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote undisclosed-email Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2005 at 9:03am
As most of the trash posted, the originator cannot or will not substantiate his claim. That is why he remains undisclosed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic