Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New slug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 1:38pm
I didn't mean just that post per se and I understand your point--and I also understand Kortegel's point. I just meant that it seems like there has been a lot of sniping back and forth recently among several groups, and if I were a new person I might look at it all and go somewhere else.

quote:

I am not trying to argue with Kortegel but I feel that is blatant misinformation that he/she passed along regarding the Route 630 exit ramp onto southbound I-95. I have lived off of Route 630 for 25 years and that information that he/she was attempting to get out is simply not true, there is no difficulty in merging from the ramp onto I-95 south.

Edited by - USA on 15 Oct 2002 13:39:02
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 2:06pm
You may have no problem using the ramps as is, but I honestly have experienced great difficulty at these off ramps. I've been driving for quite a while now in many different places across the country and I feel that the southbound ramp off 630 is a tad shorter than standard. As Tdar20 agreed, it's not easy to get people to let you in. Very rarely do I use every inch of asphalt to make a merge off a ramp, but my experiences using 630 have forced me to do exactly that which is why I avoid it at all costs. Just because my experience differs from yours does not warrant it being categorized as "misinformation". Case in point...whenever I'm northbound on I-95 going past the Rt. 610 exit, I get into the far left lane because that's an nasty accident waiting to happen at any given time of the day...the merge for entering and exiting traffic is very short and there doesn't seem to be a time that I'm going by that I DON'T see two drivers almost bite it.

K.O.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 2:30pm
I have driven on that ramp almost every day for 25 years now and I have never had any troubles there. I actually looked up the specifications at VDOT and the Route 630 ramp is actually longer than the others in the area with the exception of Route 17 northbound ramp. What's also good to note is that Route 630's ramp is not complicated by other traffic trying to merge "in" while you are trying to merge "out" (the cloverleaf effect which is in effect at Routes 3 and 610). There is nothing wrong with any of the ramps at Route 630 and as with any driving situation you just need to be aware of your surroundings and drive defensively.
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 3:02pm
You can blow stats until you're blue in the face. All I know is that it's difficult in my opinion. People just don't want to move over a lane to let you in no matter how long the ramp is. I'll just let others decide if it's difficult or not. I just know my own experience. And while the cloverleaf concept is a good one, the one at 610 would be adequately described as a mini-clover. It is much smaller than usual. Compare the Rt. 7 cloverleaf off of I-495. There is a lot of distance between the spot where cars merge in and the spot where cars merge out. At 610 you get like 50 feet to pass the merge in spot and get on the off ramp. Anyone who has driven past this on a regular basis does exactly what I do -- get to the far left to avoid unnecessary collision because of people jockeying for the middle and right lanes during this exchange. I don't care how long you've lived here...you can't say that this is not the case.

K.O.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 3:14pm
I am in total agreement that the Route 610 "mini-cloverleaf" design is a tricky situation but the Route 630 ramp has never been a problem (the merging lane is a long one according to VDOT). Any merging situation can be dangerous because there are so many people that are not from this area who use the interstate who don't get over to the middle lane to let people merge in safely. I think your description of it as a "death trap" is what was offensive to me and others who are trying to get the lot going there.
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 3:25pm
You are aware that I was talking about 630 SOUTHbound, right? Northbound is fine in fact I just took it yesterday and avoided that nasty accident just south of there in the afternoon. But the southbound ramp, I will continue to attest, is very bad.

Regardless of all that, I wasn't knocking that so much as I was people's attempts to talk Cindi into driving all the way to 630 to pick up and drop off slugs when Route 3 is the most convenient for her, and other than that there is nothing wrong with Route 17. I'm thinking of HER best interests particularly in the afternoon...if she were to pick up 630 slugs, she still has quite a ways to go to Route 3, and that stretch of road is sometimes backed up pretty good. And if she were to go to 630 to park and ride as slug, she would be subject to that possibility without a second option.

While I applaud your attempts to start a new line, and the existence of it makes no difference to me since I slug from Rt. 17, your attempts to get someone from as far away as Route 3 to utilize the 630 slug stop seems a bit self-serving. I tried to revive the afternoon slugline from L'Enfant to Route 17, but I didn't solicit folks who go to 14th street. It would have made no sense for them to do such a thing, but alas, that is the equivalent of what you're doing here...trying to talk someone into using a slug line that is more in the interests of others than her own. Funny how I've mentioned this point in my earlier posts, but the attack has been about the other things I've said instead of the larger issue at hand.

K.O.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2002 at 3:41pm
I have been discussing the Route 630 southbound ramp. It is not any more difficult to negotiate than any of the other merge lane in the area (it's actually longer than most). As for Cyndi using the new Route 630 slug-line rather than Route 3. Maybe she lives on the other side of Route 3 opposite of the commuter lots and doesn't want to sit in the Route 3 traffic going that way, maybe she doesn't like to negotiate the merge area on Route 3 near the Mall/Central Park if she doesn't have to, maybe she gets to the Route 3 commuter lot and there is no one there so she decides to head north and try the Route 630 lot, maybe she wants to avoid the B.O. lady. She asked for info, I provided some to her.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 1:29pm
Just remember it is all about "perspective." And Shelly: believe it or not there are a few bad things about 630. Just depends on your perspective.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 1:44pm
I have never said that the Route 630 lot will work for everyone. However, the information that was posted by kortegel about the southbound ramp was incorrect. The specifications about the length of merge lanes is not my perspective, it's a fact. There is no problem with the merge lanes on Route 630 they are longer than most.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 1:47pm
Amen to that! There have been a lot of postings lately about how "good" or how "bad" particular slug lots are, and some of the people doing the posting seem to feel as though their opinions are unimpeachable, but they're all just that--OPINIONS....

As to this thread--Kortegel feels that merging from 630 is difficult, so who is anyone else to say he's wrong? Maybe he had trouble there. The length of the ramp has nothing to do with it. Shelbybrynn feels that it's not difficult and is proud of the length of the ramp (as she has pointed it out four times), and who's to say that she's wrong either? Maybe she doesn't have trouble. My point is that if the purpose of the thread--which has gotten lost--was to provide suggestions to a new slug, then people should provide their own opinions and not attack others for doing the same, since it seems like that might just turn off the new slug.

quote:

Just remember it is all about "perspective." And Shelly: believe it or not there are a few bad things about 630. Just depends on your perspective.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic