Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWake Up People! HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 7:57am
Letter on main op-ed page of Post today: Great!

Going the Wrong Way

Friday, November 11, 2005; Page A24

The Virginia Department of Transportation is considering a proposal from a private company to abandon the high-occupancy-vehicle lanes on Interstates 95 and 395 in favor of express toll lanes [Metro, Nov. 2].

In recent years, authorities have had little success in improving traffic flow, with one notable exception -- the HOV and bus lanes on I-95 and I-395 in Virginia. They have functioned well for 25 years, moving tens of thousands of people out of their cars and into buses or carpools. These lanes have even created the phenomenon called "slugging," in which drivers pick up passengers in the morning at commuter lots and in the evening around the District to qualify for the three-person requirement of the HOV lanes.

But VDOT would apparently throw this success to the wind by making the high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes so popular that carpoolers would be squeezed out, even if they could use the lanes for free.

That would not be wise. What about reducing air pollution and conserving fuel? What about providing the incentive of speedier commutes through carpools or buses? What about people who can't afford the tolls? Their taxes support these toll lanes, too. Whatever private company builds and operates the toll lanes also will retain the revenue, so the tolls will not be returned to the state for further road improvement.

The Northern Virginia suburbs are affluent, and many residents may be willing to pay as much as $5 to drive alone in a toll lane -- so many, in fact, that the lanes could clog up and be little faster than the free lanes.

VDOT should look for long-term solutions to congestion that further the use of mass transit, buses and carpools. Meanwhile, it should leave the carpool and bus lanes on I-95 and I-395 alone.

scoobydoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2005 at 8:57am
The government always tries to get money out of anything americans do. Always trying to tax something.They have to have the money. BASTARDS!
omaryak View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omaryak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2005 at 6:26pm
My issue with the toll option is that there is no way to ensure carpools will be given free access unless a.) there are actual tollbooths to check carpool status, which will slow the commute, or b.) carpools have to register in advance for a special decal, which would defeat the purpose of informal carpooling.
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2005 at 11:58pm
This is a done deal, they will implement HOT, ask questions later, and accede to the contractor when it says it can't count up to three..., and when you ask your politicians, they will decry, we thought they could count to three...
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2005 at 3:16pm
Welcome to the argument JoanA.

It all seems so logical from this POV, the system is a huge success, so why mes with it, right!? But when you consider the POVs of the money hungry politician (who would rather look for new sources of revenue than become accountable for current excessive spending), or the road construction contractor (who couldn't care less about the success of the free HOV lane system), or the wealthy commuter (who would rather pay a toll than pick up a 'dirty slug' and can afford to pay) HOT lanes make sense. Unfortunately, none of these people gives a rats ass about those who the HOV lanes were built to serve; the everyday, middle class, tax paying commuter. Yes, that's you and I. And we are being left in the dust of the politician, contractor and wealthy commuters.

As I said, welcome to the argument!
frankiestein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 8:37am
We are arguing? I missed it? AHHH!![:(!]
hornerslug1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hornerslug1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 9:48am
Under the HOT system, if you are a driver who picks up slugs, it appears that you would need one transponder indicating that you are HOV-3 and a second transponder when you do not have 3 people in the car. Of course, enforcement would become an even greater problem. The law enforcement "HOT police" couldn't just look for vehicles without 3 in the vehicle because they might just be HOT drivers who are paying their "lexus" tolls. The police would have to target vehicles without transponders or vehicles with HOV transponders without 3 people in the vehicle. Don't ask me how that would be possible. Am I missing something or does this HOT proposal just not make any sense?

hornerslug1
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 10:37am
I'm a tax payer and I still don't like how our Government has control over so much. If we are helping the world..global warming..the enviroment blah blah blah, then why not give the drivers a break and not have to pay the toll? I mean there are still plenty of single drivers that pay the tolls but the carpooling effect is actually helping the enviroment. Is the government just upset that more carpool cars would pass without paying tolls?
GRRR!!!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 11:11am
JoanA: the problem is that there has been tremendous growth in the region over the past several years without a corresponding increase in the ability to transport people. Both the regular lanes and the express lanes have increased in the number of vehicles - but the regular lanes congestion has increased at a greater rate. That's led to complete gridlock in the regular lanes, while the express lanes are still relatively free flowing.

The problem faced by those responsible for transportation policy is how to balance the problem for their constituents - without raising taxes. The best way to do that seems to be to move some of the cars from the regular lanes to the express lanes.

The policy makers did just that with the hybrid exemption. Unfortunately, at the same time, population growth in the region increased exponentially - just compare the population of Stafford County in 2000 with today's (housing prices are another indicator). As a result, the congestion in teh regular lanes did not ease = it increased = and the express lanes also had an increase in congestion.

Yet, the express lanes are still relatively uncongested compared to the regular lanes. The transportation policy makers, to make a quick and tax free fix, rightfully figure that moving more cars from the regular lanes to the express lanes needs to occur. The solution appears to be through a toll.

No one seems to have a better, tax free method for reducing the regular lane congestion. Some have advocated that the congestion should remain - but that costs businesses with lost revenue, pollutes the environment, and needlessly uses up precious fuel. Until or unless we properly fund public transportation, and make it too costly NOT to use it, it's probable that we will have toll roads. The sad part is that slugging delayed the public transportation solution - imagine what the transportation system would look today if slugging had never started. Would we have found a different, and perhaps better, solution?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2005 at 11:27am
Isn't that what city planners get paid for? Growth in communities? Someone is a sleep on the job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic