Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWake Up People! HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 9:44am

Got this from Michele McQuigg re: status of HOT lanes.
Don't look good. Sounds like they basically plan to ignore us. Good timing for the wimps too.. Christmas week.

Bob

I thought you would like to know that VDOT Commissioner Gregory Whilrey
held a press conference this afternoon. Here is information from the
News Release:

"Whirley reached his decision to move forward with the Fluor-Transurban
proposal after an objective review of the PPTA advisory panel's
recommendation and the proposals presented. The panel made its
recommendation in November following a series of meetings and a public
comment period.

Entering into negotiations sets the stage for a possible partnership
between VDOT and the private sector to improve transportation in one of
the most congested areas of the country," said Whirley. "Critical to the
success of this project is that the private sector is willing to share
in the risk of funding the improvement, which otherwise would be
practically impossible if VDOT had to rely on traditional funding sources."

Fluor-Transurban proposed a $913 million project to improve 56 miles of
I-95 from the 14th Street Bridge in the Washington D.C. area to
Massaponax. The key feature includes adding a third lane to the
existing high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on I-95 in Northern
Virginia. These lanes would be HOV and high occupancy toll (HOT)
lanes. The project would extend the HOV/HOT lanes to Massaponax and
provide a seamless connection to the Capital Beltway by way of Phase 8
of the Springfield Interchange.

The project would be financed primarily through tolls. According to the
proposal, a variable toll rate would apply to vehicles carrying fewer
than three people each on HOV/HOT lanes. Carpoolers, buses and other
transit operators would use the lanes for free.

VDOT will first negotiate an interim agreement to require
Fluor-Transurban to complete an in-depth traffic and revenue study. The
study will determine if HOT lanes are economically viable and help to
set a fair and equitable toll structure. The interim agreement also
will require the development of a toll operation and enforcement plan.

Should negotiations be successful and an interim agreement reached, a
comprehensive agreement would follow. The agreement would set the
framework for future project decisions such as design and
construction.

No improvements can be made to the I-95/395 corridor unless they go
through the required state and federal environmental laws and
regulations. Environmental review involves additional public
participation."

Sincerely,
Michele
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2005 at 10:57am
Who's Michelle?
conversantcars View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conversantcars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 9:44am
Spending $1 billion on more toll-HOT lanes requires funding a loan paid back over 30 years with the toll revenue. Say the new lanes are built and generating revenue by 2015. The payback period extends to 2045. If technology causes less drivers to use the toll-HOT lanes, the lender would lose a lot of money. Or citizens will have to repay the loan some other way.

The toll-obsoleting technology is as close as 2015, and certainly by 2025. Check out http://conversantcars.com. If you want to see a quicker test of the proposed technology then e-mail the Gov at http://www.govmail.ca.gov with subject line, "Transportation Challenge for Conversant Cars."
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 11:30am
Great! How do we stop this?
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2005 at 4:49pm
Bob,
Thanks for posting that letter from McQuigg. It's no surprise, so how can we "guarantee" that HOV will be free?

Who are the wimps you're referring to in your preamble?

Goober
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2005 at 2:10pm
JoanA,

Yes, based on my experience, complaining on this board, attending those meetings, or writing seemed to have had little to no effect. Note that most readers go to the general board and not the HOT Lanes Discussion forum. Even if you try to drum up some noise about HOT, most people don't care.

The politicians care because this is a no brainer decision to go with HOT for the masses (people in the regular lanes, to be more specific). As a politician, you can proudly say that you will be improving the traffic mess because you're adding another lane, extending HOV (?) lanes, and generating revenue. We all know better than that, but a politician needs to cater to people that will get him/her re-elected -- the greater percentage of people in the regular lanes. Also, the decision makers need to ensure that he/she sides with those businesses that might potentially help in the future, you know, those back door deals that leave you scratching your head.

So how can we "guarantee" that HOV will be free?

Goober
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2005 at 2:35pm
Goober,

Do you have numbers to compare that more people travel the main lanes than do the express? I heard comparisons years ago and the numbers favored the express lanes. That may not be the case anymore. Would be interested in knowing though.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2005 at 3:05pm
NoSb,

I don't have any numbers as to which set of lanes transport more bodies but it would be interesting to know. My reference to "the greater percentage of people in the regular lanes" is to those that would favor HOT vs. those that would oppose HOT. The only reason I can think of as to why drivers in the regular lanes would oppose HOT is that they can't afford it. So, all the rest should side with those decision makers that favor HOT.

Any thoughts on how to guarantee that HOV will be free forever?

Goober
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2005 at 3:49pm
I put a little thought into this. The best I can come up with would be some kind of resolution by the General Assembly that states something like "We are approving HOT for 95, but realize that in the future there could (likely will) arise a major conflict with HOV because of a large number of HOVs and the HOT operators wanting to charge HOVs. We resolve that should this situation arise, NO solution will be granted that will allow the charging of tolls to HOV3 (or 4). Possible solutions would include in the future no toll vehicles on the 395 portion of this road. Or a state tax to pay off the HOT lanes and make them public HOV again".

Bob
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2005 at 9:27am
I actually think that it would be better for the congestion problem if NO ONE rides for free - except for HOV-40 (for 1/2 price). Essentially, buses pay nothing, and passengers pay 50% of what they would have paid if going through the toll booth. Buses pick up/drop off where the slug lines are now - with no stops in between. Commuters can choose to pay full price and wear and tear on their cars or let the bus take them for 1/2 price. Can't swear to it, but makes sense to me that the overall congestion problem goes away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic