Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWake Up People! HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2006 at 4:06pm
To jump on NoSB's comment, another way to look at it is if the regular lanes moved at the posted speed limit, would they be able to move the same number of people as the express lanes over the same time? If yes, build more capacity. Also, you could provide better public transportation and then make it the only time effective transportation method - sort of like the NYC area. In this area, though, 2 out of 3 people in the express lanes travel for free, so any alternative affects their pocket book. The only short term solution to the mess is to charge everyone who wants to pay for traveling faster, and that means tolls.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2006 at 2:36pm
If HOV is underutilized, it's because the excessive number of SOVs is reducing it's efficiency at moving people.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2006 at 8:08pm
MDC: Actually, express lanes are underutilized because of the lack of vehicle using them. I still have to slow down to get to the speed limit, and numerous times (PM beginning of HOV hours) there are no cars for 1/4 mile!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 6:49am
It must be nice to head home at 3:30. By 4:30PM on most days the traffic is nothing like you describe. You'd have to drive on the shoulder if you wanted to go at or above the speed limit.

Nobody said that the end of morning HOV, or beginning of afternoon HOV is crowded. If you get on HOV anywhere between 5AM and 8AM, you're lucky to go the speed limit anywhere on I-95's HOV. I almost never get above 65, and feel lucky when I do get to 65MPH in the afternoon but it's rarely before I'm almost out of Fairfax county.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2006 at 12:01pm
Karmapolice,
You said, "I leave Horner Road around 7:30 in the morning and have yet to experience any delays in traffic."

Your comment is absurd. Please go away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic