Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Singing Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singing Drivers
    Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 2:15pm
Ever been a captive audience to these folks? One morning a couple winters back, I had my first experience with a woman I later dubbed "The Church Lady." She drove a van and had a stuffed animal wedged in the space between the top of the steering wheel and the horn. She had the heat on full blast and wasn't wearing a coat. She was listening to a tape of a choir singing gospel music. Once on the HOV lanes, she turned up the volume and began singing along. She got so into praising the Lord that she started clapping her hands and dancing in her seat.

In the meantime, sweat had popped out on my forehead and I was nauseous from the heat (the kind that burns your nasal passages). I mistakenly assumed that she'd turn down the heat when her nose started to hurt too -- never happened. I guess I could have unbuckled myself and peeled off my coat... I GUESS I could have asked her to turn down the heat... Of course, I envisioned myself saying, "Would you PLEASE shut up and turn off the heat?! And by the way, put your f'ing HANDS on the steering wheel where they belong!" But noooooooooo! I'm a well-behaved little slug and keep my mouth shut unless spoken to.

This past summer on the way home, a woman sang along to every song on a CD of a man crooning love songs in Spanish. He was good -- she was not. And just two days ago, I rode home with a different version of "The Church Lady." She didn't have a van or a stuffed animal, but the hands left the steering wheel as she lifted them in praise while she sang.

But what's a rider to do? It's the DRIVER's car, right? I guess if I have to endure singing drivers, I'd rather "The Church Lady" type over a wannabe rapper. :)

tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2002 at 2:38pm
Oh I have one that I ride with on occasion, that is very much into the R & B of the 70's, she sing's along with it very loud and oh wait a minute don't let it be a favorite, she hits the repeat button over and over again or she keeps scrolling backwards to replay a certain part of the song, in the summer time she never turns the AC on so you have Barry White blasting in your ear while hot air is blowing your eye lashing in the wind, don't get me wrong I love my old school music just like the rest, but there is a reason why they are the ones singing the song and you're not.

quote:
Originally posted by KatieM
[br]Ever been a captive audience to these folks? One morning a couple winters back, I had my first experience with a woman I later dubbed "The Church Lady." She drove a van and had a stuffed animal wedged in the space between the top of the steering wheel and the horn. She had the heat on full blast and wasn't wearing a coat. She was listening to a tape of a choir singing gospel music. Once on the HOV lanes, she turned up the volume and began singing along. She got so into praising the Lord that she started clapping her hands and dancing in her seat.

In the meantime, sweat had popped out on my forehead and I was nauseous from the heat (the kind that burns your nasal passages). I mistakenly assumed that she'd turn down the heat when her nose started to hurt too -- never happened. I guess I could have unbuckled myself and peeled off my coat... I GUESS I could have asked her to turn down the heat... Of course, I envisioned myself saying, "Would you PLEASE shut up and turn off the heat?! And by the way, put your f'ing HANDS on the steering wheel where they belong!" But noooooooooo! I'm a well-behaved little slug and keep my mouth shut unless spoken to.

This past summer on the way home, a woman sang along to every song on a CD of a man crooning love songs in Spanish. He was good -- she was not. And just two days ago, I rode home with a different version of "The Church Lady." She didn't have a van or a stuffed animal, but the hands left the steering wheel as she lifted them in praise while she sang.

But what's a rider to do? It's the DRIVER's car, right? I guess if I have to endure singing drivers, I'd rather "The Church Lady" type over a wannabe rapper. :)

TBell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic