FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMcQuigg Annouces Oppositon to HOT Lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 3:59pm
I got the same email. Nice to see that someone is paying attention.
MJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2005 at 2:51pm
Believe it or not...Michelle McQuigg has finally announced her position on HOT Lanes. This was emailed to me by Michelle McQuigg's office.

McQuigg Opposes I-95 HOT Lane Proposals
After careful evaluation, Delegate says both plans hurt commuters & taxpayers

OCCOQUAN, VA – Virginia State Delegate Michèle McQuigg announced that she opposes both proposals (the Fluor-Transurban and 95 Express) that would convert existing High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on I-95 into High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes.

The announcement came after the Advisory Panel, which has been reviewing the plan since late April, met for the fourth time last night. The final meeting is scheduled to be on November 1.

McQuigg stated, “Neither proposal is financially viable and either the taxpayers will be required to pay the difference and/or the current users will be forced off of the HOV lanes.” Furthermore, she said that the traffic and revenue projections and the true cost to the taxpayer don’t add up.

McQuigg added, “I am concerned about the assumptions, the cost to maintain the system, the fiscal impact to transit and who will pay among other things.”

McQuigg also said that she is concerned that neither proposal has a realistic enforcement plan and the traffic flow onto the 14th Street Bridge, congestion issues and the actual volume of vehicles have not been adequately addressed.

McQuigg had previously expressed concerns about both plans; however, she wanted to allow the process to work before making a decision.

“I believe I owed it to my constituents to allow the process to work, for the advisory committee to evaluate each proposal, and to maintain a diplomatic position since the final decision is an executive one,” she said. “However, at this point I do not think the proposals are well thought out, and I am concerned about the impact on our HOV/slug system.”

McQuigg has consistently said, “I have a track record of support for our HOV and slug system and will not do anything to impede them.” This support has included securing hundreds of additional commuter parking spaces at Horner Road, Tackett’s Mill and Route 123/Old Bridge.

“I have been working with ‘slugs’ and ‘body snatchers’ since 1992 ensuring that government does not get in their way enabling a truly effective system,” she said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic