Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disadvantages of slugging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:35pm
NoSUV,
100/1=100 cars
100/3=33.3 cars
Same number of people, less wear and tear on the roads, faster speeds because more room to move, less gas burned means more inventory, more inventory means lower prices at the pump, lower prices means more discretionary income, etc, etc, etc.

Hybrid because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, HOV because you want to stockpile fuel inventories and save the roads.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:42pm
HOV could absorb the 20% of the mainlanes if two things were done in concert:

Raise HOV-3 to HOV-4
AND
Allow the hybrid exemption to expire.

Taking the exemption away provides more capacity and makes H3S's math work fabulously!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:59pm
NoSUV,
Check it out:
100/1=100 cars
100/4=25 cars
100/5=20 cars – most cars do have 5 seat belts. It’s cold and dark outside now too. We can all snuggle on the way home.

Hybrid because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, HOV because you want to stockpile fuel inventories and save the roads!

BillyBackSeat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 7:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBackSeat
[br]
Originally posted by Baz
[br]
The problem with a toll road is that we would be building a road for people driving alone. It does not matter if they pay. The bottom line is that cars with three people in them carry three times as many people and if the powers that be had any brains they would be working on ways to get more people to ride together to get traffic moving. The whole idea is to get people to and from work. ... Ban the hybrids out of HOV. Hybrids are just another way of buying your way onto HOV. All of this involves a fraction of the cost of building another lane. Giving some dumbass the right to pay to take as much room as three people in a car is a pathetic approach to moving people. IMHO.

Hug a slug today

Of course, the problem with rants such as this comes down to the basic problem that if all did as BBS suggests, we'd still not have enough infrastructure to carry it out. Currently, the regular lanes are past full, and the express lanes during commuting hours, even with SOV hybrids, are not nearly as crowded. What would happen if 20% of the drivers in the regular lanes decided to go HOV-3? Obviously, the express lanes couldn't handle the increase, and the regular lanes would be nearly the same.
No, a discriminator is needed, and the hybrid exemption is likely the best (should it be a SUV exemption?). Next best option is to go toll.

If you kick the hybrids off, get after the cheaters then the HOV could absorb 20% more with no problem. Cause more than that are in single cars now. And it would pull 20% off the mainline. Rant? Besides the fact you cant count and can't think I'd rather read a real rant than the long winded pompous factless crap you regularly post.

Hug a slug today
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 4:24am
quote:
Originally posted by bribri06
[br]Hi everyone, for my journalism class I have been assigned to research the disadvantages of slugging. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit a tell me what you think.[?]

thnx

What class, which school, and who is the prof?

Looks like undisclosed got a new login.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 1:30pm
Anyone look to the right recently? How many cars do you pass in a minute? THAT'S the number to divide by 3! Now add that same number of cars next to you. Do you really think your commute remained the same?

Just curious - how many cars did you count during that minute?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:51pm
NoCLUV,
It doesn't work that way. Imagine 10,000 less HOV-1 hybrids replaced by 10,000 HOV-3 cars. The traffic would improve in the main lanes, and you'd have nothing to talk about other than the "logical step to bus only lanes"...
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 3:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Anyone look to the right recently? How many cars do you pass in a minute? THAT'S the number to divide by 3! Now add that same number of cars next to you. Do you really think your commute remained the same?

Just curious - how many cars did you count during that minute?

NoSUV,
As MDC said, your logic is flawed. However, I’ll be glad to answer your question. I use to count about 300 cars per minute before the hybrid exemption. Now I count about 10.

Hybrid because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, HOV-3 because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, save the roads, and get to work and home fast![:)]

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 9:10am
Why are you all debating NoSUV? Is there even the slightest, teensiest, eensiest possibility that you are going to change his mind?

Unless you offer him a bribe. He has revealed himself to be all about himself. Offer NoSUV a mirror in which to admire his noble, self-absorbed profile while he putters alone in his pseudo-environmental, makes-me-feel-good high-bred.

I think Defender and Baz are right: the person who started this thread is a troll or, more likely, a regular trying to stir things up.

As if a journalism professor would ask a student to write a paper with a pre-determined negative slant. The assignment would be to write about the pros and the cons of a system.

What do we look like, idiots? (Hey, cut that out!)
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 10:03am
OK, 1 driver so far has claimed that the express lanes during commuting hours only pass about 10 cars in a minute in the regular lanes. Doesn't quite match what I've seen, but I'm sure others have data that will support you.

Or not.

It's not the hybrids - it's the overall congestion. Thank goodness for the tolls so we can buy our way out. As Sponge has noted, tolls likely spell the end for slugs. I wonder if there will be any regrets about damning the exemption then?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic