Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disadvantages of slugging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bribri06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disadvantages of slugging
    Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 9:28am
Hi everyone, for my journalism class I have been assigned to research the disadvantages of slugging. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit a tell me what you think.[?]

thnx
BillyBackSeat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 10:42am
quote:
Originally posted by bribri06
[br]Hi everyone, for my journalism class I have been assigned to research the disadvantages of slugging. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit a tell me what you think.[?]

thnx

I used to ride but mainly now I drive. Lots of disadvantages to riding. It's not worth the bucks, to me anyway, to ride, most days. But there are advantages too. Here we go.

Disadvantages of Riding
1) Lines. Got to wait in line in the rain, heat and cold for a ride.
2) Reliability. If VDOT opens up HOV to all because of an accident then getting a ride could be a problem. Or having to work late means you miss the slug line.
3) Drivers. Some speed or are lousy drivers. Some have small uncomfortable cars or dirty cars. Or have an attitude. According to posts on this board some drivers actually think about getting sex from slugs and since most slugs are men those drivers must be liberal democrat party sodomites. Don't want to ride with sodomites. Its rumored that there are drivers who don't make much and who get paid what they are worth that want tips.
4) Time. Got to get in that slug line when drivers are picking up.

Advantages of Riding
1) It's free and its fast.
2) It's free and its fast.
3) It's free and its fast.

Dumphries to DC and back fast and for free. Worth the disadvantages sometimes. Except for the sodomites. Some are on this board. Watch one call me names for being insensitive and intolerant of perverts.

Hug a slug today
keith770 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2005 at 12:31pm
The main issue I am looking at is the unreliability of a ride home. There is no fast way back to route 17 and I don't even know where the route 17 line leaves From the Pentagon.

I also worry about getting picked up by prissy blasphmous Republican Nazis who are really making a list of where people live so they can use it for some arcane evil purpose.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 7:10am
Looks like we have another intruder here trying to find out just why toll roads are a better option than slugging. Try going to the slug lines for your research and ask the sluggers there if there are disadvantages to the system in place. I believe youll find very few disadvantages compared to the disadvantages of a toll road being put in its place! Be a real journalist and hit the pavement to find information instead of relying on bogus information that is usually posted on message boards!
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 2:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by bribri06
[br]Hi everyone, for my journalism class I have been assigned to research the disadvantages of slugging. I was wondering if you guys could help me out a bit a tell me what you think.[?]

thnx

A major disadvantage of slugging? Can't think of any.

Major disadvantage of journalism majors? They rejoice in slanted news. Rather than writing an article that discloses the pluses and minuses of an issue, the media (jurnalists) slant the news and tell us what to think. Rather than presenting enough information for infromed discussion, journailsts, NSA and the CIA make stuff up.

If the question comes from a student in a public university, I, for one, think it is time for a review of the policy of managed news in our public institutions.

A major reason why we have slugging in the first place? Politicians who have used managed news to create a shortage of dependable, affordable transportation. Politicians that take the easy way out and blame those that are working for a solution. Politicians that travel to Curitaba, Brazil or Portland, Oregon in search of transportation answers, but fail to talk to their counterpart in the neighboring jurisdiciton without pointing a finger of blame. Poiticians that make traffic congestion worse.

For the stalwart readers of Slug-Lines. com, the way to control this type of journalism isn't so much a letter to the editor as it is a letter to the advertisers. Granted this borders on an inroad to free speech, but why should the advertisers pay to have this nonesense forced down our throats? Why should "newspapers" be allowed to bend minds?

For the more intrepid, such as RLD, as you gather up your pitchforks and torches to storm the castle and kill the monster, you might want to practice on the fourth estate before battling the politicians.

Can the requestor identify himself/herself and save us the hassle of searching you out? Do you work for VRE, METRO or one of the myriad local government run bus companies?

Or are you a CIA or NSA operative sent out to identify the subversives? Paranoid? Who, me? Not really, people like this bogus wanna be reporter ARE out to get me.

dickboyd@aol.com
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 2:37pm
Disadvantages? Hmmmmm. Well there's..., no that's not one. But there's..., no that's not one either. Well, I get to park my car and take a nice walk to a slug line, I meet nice people each day, ride in a comfortable car both ways, I save gas, I meet nice people, I get some fresh air, any disadvantages yet? Did I say that I meet nice people? Hmmmmm. The other day I waited about ten minutes for a ride, but then I met some nice people and got a free ride home. Disadvantages, well sometimes it rains and the flowers get a drink, I usually wear a raincoat on those days. Nope, disadvantages, none for me!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 8:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Disadvantages? Hmmmmm. Well there's..., no that's not one. But there's..., no that's not one either. Well, I get to park my car and take a nice walk to a slug line, I meet nice people each day, ride in a comfortable car both ways, I save gas, I meet nice people, I get some fresh air, any disadvantages yet? Did I say that I meet nice people? Hmmmmm. The other day I waited about ten minutes for a ride, but then I met some nice people and got a free ride home. Disadvantages, well sometimes it rains and the flowers get a drink, I usually wear a raincoat on those days. Nope, disadvantages, none for me!

Most days it seems like slugs have the advantage. They ride free. I pay to drive. But.... I've picked up slugs on days where it was raining buckets and those wet slugs didn't look happy until they got inside. I've picked up shivering slugs who are damn near frozen cause it is just too cold outside. I've picked up desperate looking slugs trying to catch a ride home at 5:50 pm and they know it might not happen. I've picked up anxious slugs who told me they had been waiting in line for a long long time cause drivers were scarce that day. Meanwhile, my SUV is nice and dry, automatically temperature controlled, and a guaranteed ride home. And I am in it. Advantage? Me. Disadvantage? Slugs. But like you said, most days it seems slugs have the better deal. If I can get my hours at work stabilized I know I won't be driving on a nice bright sunny day. I'll be in someone's backseat. Hope the car doesn't belong to a godless sodomite America hating baby killing liberal democrat.

Hug a slug today
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2005 at 8:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Looks like we have another intruder here trying to find out just why toll roads are a better option than slugging. Try going to the slug lines for your research and ask the sluggers there if there are disadvantages to the system in place. I believe youll find very few disadvantages compared to the disadvantages of a toll road being put in its place! Be a real journalist and hit the pavement to find information instead of relying on bogus information that is usually posted on message boards!

The problem with a toll road is that we would be building a road for people driving alone. It does not matter if they pay. The bottom line is that cars with three people in them carry three times as many people and if the powers that be had any brains they would be working on ways to get more people to ride together to get traffic moving. The whole idea is to get people to and from work. Slugging works. Instead of giving away a publicly funded highway, the government ought to squeeze out some money to build slugging lots. Put up shelters for the slugs. Organize the lots with signs. Put in benches for old slugs. Spend a little money fix the parking lots so that drivers can pick up, drop off, leave faster. Advertise the heck out of slugging. Most people don't even know about it. Or are scared to try. Ban the hybrids out of HOV. Hybrids are just another way of buying your way onto HOV. All of this involves a fraction of the cost of building another lane. Giving some dumbass the right to pay to take as much room as three people in a car is a pathetic approach to moving people. IMHO.

Hug a slug today
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 11:49am
I'm an "all weather" slug (rider), so I would think the only disadvantage would be the weather. Sometimes it is horrible out there, but we just "keep slugging".
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBackSeat
[br]
Originally posted by Baz
[br]
The problem with a toll road is that we would be building a road for people driving alone. It does not matter if they pay. The bottom line is that cars with three people in them carry three times as many people and if the powers that be had any brains they would be working on ways to get more people to ride together to get traffic moving. The whole idea is to get people to and from work. ... Ban the hybrids out of HOV. Hybrids are just another way of buying your way onto HOV. All of this involves a fraction of the cost of building another lane. Giving some dumbass the right to pay to take as much room as three people in a car is a pathetic approach to moving people. IMHO.

Hug a slug today

Of course, the problem with rants such as this comes down to the basic problem that if all did as BBS suggests, we'd still not have enough infrastructure to carry it out. Currently, the regular lanes are past full, and the express lanes during commuting hours, even with SOV hybrids, are not nearly as crowded. What would happen if 20% of the drivers in the regular lanes decided to go HOV-3? Obviously, the express lanes couldn't handle the increase, and the regular lanes would be nearly the same.
No, a discriminator is needed, and the hybrid exemption is likely the best (should it be a SUV exemption?). Next best option is to go toll.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic