Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJeff Frederick on Hypbrid Exemption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PopQuiz800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff Frederick on Hypbrid Exemption
    Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 10:07am
I was attending the Newport Estates Homeowners Association meeting last Wednesday, when the topic of the hybrid exemption came up.

Both candidates for the 52nd District House of Delegates were there. In response to a question about repealing the hybrid exemption was raised. Jeff Frederick, the current delegate, responded by saying "I will not support any outright repeal of the hybrid exemption," and then saying he would look at grandfathering in the current hybrids.

Interesting.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:33pm
Sort of matches what I've found from the 6 candidates I've emailed and interviewes. All say they support the hybrid exemption - I've yet to find any candidate against it. Anyone know of one?
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:48pm
I thought the exemption just goes away in July, regardless of who supports it. Is new legislation required to keep the exemption?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 3:50pm
No one who will state publicly what the real intent will be for the hybrid exemption.

They're trying to fund a campaign right now. Why in the world would they want to cut off their funding stream?

Those who are on the receiving end are at least smart enough to get elected first before doing anything to harm their campaign financially.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2005 at 5:18pm
Luddite,

On numerous occasions last year, various members of the General Assembly attempted to put through extensions of the exemption, including efforts to make it "all time." All of these failed and were tabled, leaving the current 2006 expiration in place. So most of us slugs are keeping our fingers crossed that logic will prevail and they will unceremoniously boot them out. One way or the other, their little boondoggle will END.
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 10:10am
Hybrid because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, HOV because you want to stockpile fuel inventories, save the roads, and get to work and home faster!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:02pm
I'm willing to bet the exemption is extended, particularly if the toll roads are still going forward. Why not extend the high-bred exemption a couple of years until the toll gantries are in place? Why piss off a group that, demographically speaking, is middle class?

Car dealers are some of the very biggest donors to local political campaigns, and the manufacturers are all introducing new hybrid models, and who wants to vote down a pseudo-environmental option?

I just can't see the Va legislature doing the anyhing else.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2005 at 2:39pm
SpongeBob,
You know what's going to happen if it's extended. We've had ridiculous morning traffic this week so far, and only because the gas price went down. Imagine with tens of thousands more hybrids will do over the next couple of years.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 8:47am
Oh, MDC, I know, I know. But the legislature doesn't care. Why should they? And remember, the rule has boosted high-bred sales in NoVa AND in Tidewater, too. The exemption might be creating congestion on I95, but is it having the same effect on I64, or I66? From Richmond's perspective, is the exemption 100% bad?

I don't know.

Politicians don't like to remove or allow to lapse a special privilege: constituents just HATE that [V].
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2005 at 12:03pm
Hybrid exemption will die. I has got to. There are to many car models coming out with Hybrid technology that will kill this exemption. Otherwise it will be the regular lines all over again. It is only a matter of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic