Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extension of HOV to 6:30pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extension of HOV to 6:30pm
    Posted: 24 Sep 2002 at 12:16pm
This is a letter I received in response to an email that I sent to VDOT. It looks as if they are not even going to consider the possiblity of extending the time. The next best thing to do is to send letters or emails to the Governor of Virginia and the Lt. Governor, because they are this person's boss. I was truly disappointed with their decision on this matter. We must do something as a large group. Perhaps a petition is in order.

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
1401 EAST BROAD STREET
RICHMOND, 23219
PHILIP A. SHUCET K. E. LANTZ, JR.
COMMISSIONER TRANSPORTATION PLANNING ENGINEER

September 24, 2002

Ms. Linda A. Mura
lmura@bdbc.com

Dear Ms. Mura:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the HOV lanes on I-95/I-395 in Northern Virginia.

The PM restricted period for the HOV lanes has been 3:30 to 6:00 since they were opened to carpoolers in 1971, with the exception of a one-month period in 1987 when the hours were extended to 6:30. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has since looked into the potential impacts of extending the hours and determined that person movement on the HOV lanes during that one-half hour would decrease and congestion in the general-purpose lanes would increase. While the study did show that the extended hours could cause some commuters to switch to transit, there was no indication that they would switch from driving alone to carpooling in order to enjoy the travel time savings.

VDOT continually conducts vehicle counts to determine the usage on the HOV lanes and their effectiveness in reducing congestion. VDOT uses this information to adjust operating conditions when deemed prudent. Changes to the operations must be seriously considered only when there’s evidence the change will help conditions. We are very aware that if operating conditions do not meet the needs of commuters, they will not use the facility.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us. We strongly believe that the I-95/I-395 HOV facility is one of the most successful in the country and we would like to keep it that way. We will continue to monitor the facility and modify operations as warranted.

Sincerely,

K. E. Lantz, Jr., P. E.
Transportation Planning Engineer

cc: Mr. T. A. Farley

thadzer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thadzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2002 at 5:13pm
not everyone agrees that the hours should be extended.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2002 at 7:43am
I really dont think that the hours need to be extended. However, enforcing the current hours will fit the problem of congestion. People feel that if they get on the HOV lanes before the 6 am deadline they are fine to continue all the way to DC. Same thing holds for going south opn 95. People get on up to 20 minutes before the 6 pm deadline and there never seems to be highway partol cars available to enforce the law. Think of all the $'s lost in that one that could be applied to extending the HOV lanes.

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2002 at 7:58am
quote:

I really dont think that the hours need to be extended. However, enforcing the current hours will fit the problem of congestion. People feel that if they get on the HOV lanes before the 6 am deadline they are fine to continue all the way to DC. Same thing holds for going south opn 95. People get on up to 20 minutes before the 6 pm deadline and there never seems to be highway partol cars available to enforce the law. Think of all the $'s lost in that one that could be applied to extending the HOV lanes.

...of course, depending on where they get on, they may not be able to get off until the Pentagon--the law is that if you are non-HOV and don't have an exemption (e.g., a CF license plate), you have to get off at the next exit. If someone times it so as to pass Springfield before 6:00, he gets a free pass to the Pentagon--it's illegal to ticket him because he was in there legally and there was nowhere to exit.

lmura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 4:23pm
quote:

lmura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 4:28pm
quote:

Apparently you get off work at 4pm or something great like that! But for people who actually work downtown Washington, and have to drive everyday from Fredericksburg(boy I love that), and have to fight city traffic, not to mention inclement weather (when it occurs) to boot, can not make it to the Pentagon or other slug pickup spots in a reasonable amount of time to even take advantage of the HOV. You are thinking selfishly. You probably don't even have to worry about people getting on the HOV at 5:50pm, because you're already home. And further more, who's everyone? Like I said before, the ones who get to leave their jobs by 4 or 4:30pm.

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 12:29pm
Thanks for posting the VDOT response.

However, I think it should be pointed out that this study was conducted in 1998, making it relatively outdated given the rapid population growth rates during the same time period. For example, according to Census data, Prince William's population grew almost 14 percent from 7/98 to 7/01, while Stafford's population grew over 15 percent during the same period.

The data convincingly show that people are moving further and further away from where they work, thereby increasing commuting times. It only makes sense that an updated HOV schedule be implemented to keep up with population shifts and changes. Mr. K. E. Lantz, Jr. (from VOT) himself pointed out that the HOV system has remained unchanged since 1971!

Maybe a petition is in order, as lmura pointed out.

Edited by - tlschau on 30 Sep 2002 12:30:14

Edited by - tlschau on 30 Sep 2002 12:31:22
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 1:33pm

I posted this message on September 12. To tell you the truth, I was kind of dissapointed about the response he gave me. As you guys recently mentioned, a peticion would be in order. However, I would not like to think this will reach deaf ears.

"I lodged my complaint with Mr. Epton too. He addressed to K. E. Lantz, Jr., P. E. Transportation Planning Engineer, and this is what I got today by email:

" Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the HOV lanes on I-95 in Northern Virginia.

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) conducted a study that looked at the potential impacts of changing the HOV hours of operation, including extending the PM restricted period from 6:00 to 6:30. The study determined that anticipated volumes on the HOV lanes during that half hour would decrease significantly. While the study did show that the extended hours could cause some commuters to switch to transit, there was no indication that they would switch from driving alone to carpooling in order to enjoy the travel time savings.

Changes to the HOV operations must be seriously considered and done so only when proven to help conditions. VDOT continues to monitor the HOV facility to determine its effectiveness in reducing congestion and meeting commuters’ needs.

We are aware of concerns involving violators on the HOV lanes. The State Police provide roving patrols as well as stationary enforcement on the ramps. Given available resources, the HOV facilities are well patrolled, but unfortunately, growing demands on the State Police have reduced the number of officers that can be dedicated to HOV enforcement. I will forward your e-mail to Colonel W. Gerald Massengill, Virginia State Police Superintendent, so that he will also be aware of your concerns.

Thank you again for taking time to share your ideas and concerns with us.

Sincerely,

K. E. Lantz, Jr., P. E.
Transportation Planning Engineer"

emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 1:53pm
Another thing, are we ready to start a petition? and, how many of us will support this?

tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2002 at 4:01pm
I think there will be many supporters. I think it would be a good idea if we could get the Webmaster to post something regarding this topic on the main page to increase visibility.

Any other ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic