Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legal question re Towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 1:13pm
In response to the state police versus stafford monitoring--

Stafford ticketed my car, not the state police.
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 1:39pm
park legally?

That isn't always easy, especially when the 610 lot is sometimes filled as early as 7:30am and you still have to get to work but can't drive in. Especially when there's probably 50-100 other cars parked illegally all over the lot.

When I was towed it was for the reason listed "roadway hazard". All the spaces were full, and there's an area on 610 where about 20-25 cars can fit off the road on the grass. I was on the OTHER side of a tree, about 12ft from the curb on the grass and got cited as a roadway hazard or obstruction. If they want to tow you, they will find a reason to do it.
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 1:49pm
I didn't park on the curb. I tried parking up on the grass and, uh, cracked my oil pan. duh. The lot is packed by 7:00.

It's really strange because before this happened, I saw a tow truck hauling away a BMW and it was on one of those days where there were empty spaces. The only thing I could think of was the car was being repossessed.

Until this happened to me. I have learned since that there is such a thing as "predatory towing" and that it is my word against theirs. Since the stafford police corroborate the illegal parking--and I don't know how they could because like I say, the driver handed me the ticket when I met him after work--he was in possession of it and said the cop told him to give it to me--which means to me, but not necessarily, the driver pulled the car and the cop wrote the ticket later.

Stafford says because it was public property, the driver is not restricted by State laws governing towing...so he can charge whatever he likes.

I am not sure this is true and it seems like since Stafford benefits from this --$200 ticket--there is a major conflict of interest. But we are living in a sleaze bag state and Stafford is, shall we say, the orifice of that bag, and they have a specious interpretation of the law, so like the only thing one can do is avoid Stafford.

salsita View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2005 at 1:33pm
There is the option of parking at the other lot and using the bus to get over. Just thought I would throw that out there....
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 1:10am
Could you please provide me with names, dates, and more specifics? I have 2 friends who are lawyers and a couple others who know judges. I'd like to run this to ground and minimally ascertain just what practices are permitted concerning the events you are suggesting took place.

Maybe we can get some of this overturned (under the best of circumstances).

I suggest joining one of the many hunting clubs in Stafford so you can befriend a judge, deputy sheriff, and/or tow truck driver or two.

Sorry to hear about these events transpiring. I've never had my car towed and will do all I am able to assist others who have fallen victim to these practices.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 8:55am
I can't help but feel your message is glib rather than serious[:)]

I have connects too. I will find my way. I just wanted to warn people. You could be totally parked legally and get hit. The rumor is they target certain cars for certain reasons.
frankiestein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 11:11am
I parked on the grass and in front of a fire hydrant and a firetruck came and rammed my car. I got in the car to move it, next thing I know, the bloody tow truck man was towing my car with me in it. I had to sit in the tow lot until someone
frankiestein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankiestein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 11:13am
sorry, i lost my train of thought. Anyway goahead and park illegally, it's fun. Just pull off the side of the freeway and leave your car there. No one will bother it.
we are always waiting on the freeway for slugs to come along. some lines are long and some are short but at least we get to work.
even if we have to park illegally
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 11:14am
They are not allowed to tow you if you are there.

That is also per the code. I am going to review the code again. If the code does not refer to private property, then the towing companies are in violation.

They have to post prices

and cannot tow once you are there.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2005 at 11:23am
eho,

I'm rarely glib especially when injustice is involved and definitely wasn't this time. I look forward to hearing what resolution you are able to achieve regarding this.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic