Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legal question re Towing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legal question re Towing
    Posted: 02 Dec 2005 at 12:22pm
I wrote this morning that according to the Virginia code, it's unlawful for a tow truck driver to charge in excess of 85.00 per week day for towing fees.

According to Stafford, they can charge whatever they want because it's a VDOT lot.

Can someone please tell me if this is true?
scoobydoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2005 at 4:37pm
Not sure what exactly you are referring to but here is a web site from Arlington, I didn't find much on Stafford.
I know if it's a private company, they can charge pretty much what they want. But if it's a commercial company, they have to abide by the city codes.
http://www.co.arlington.va.us/departments/Police/pro/PoliceProTowed.aspx
scoobydoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoobydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2005 at 4:44pm
look at page four

http://www.vml.org/UP/PDFUPs/UP05/Jun1705UP.pdf
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2005 at 4:53pm
If it's a private company, the law says $85.00 max. Stafford is saying that because it's VDOT and not private, the law does not apply.

They charged me $245 yesterday to tow my car. I have seen the towing companies haul cars out of legitimate spots. Because it's a public lot, they can break all the laws governing private spots, according to the Stafford Sheriff.
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 8:14am
Mine was $380 I think.

They charged something like $125 for the tow, $85/day for storage, which ended up being 2 days since I picked it up first thing in the morning. And it was I think $75 for a gate unlocking fee.
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 8:34am
I am not sure this is lawful. Virginia has specific laws about towing, but the Stafford claims those only pertain to private property.

However, the law does say that the towing company must publish its prices and no language in that section refers to private property.

So . . .I will work on it

which company towed you?
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 8:34am
I am not sure this is lawful. Virginia has specific laws about towing, but the Stafford claims those only pertain to private property.

However, the law does say that the towing company must publish its prices and no language in that section refers to private property.

So . . .I will work on it

which company towed you?
fryed_1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fryed_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 10:57am
highway garage tows for the stafford lots, which are monitored by state police for violations and not stafford county. If you try to call stafford county if you think your car was towed, they will refer you to state police. Make sure to let the phone ring a LONG time when calling state police. They don't answer until about the 50th ring...
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 12:26pm
There's an easy way to avoid being towed .... park LEGALLY! [:p]
ehoberg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehoberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2005 at 1:02pm
I didn't say I was parked illegally. Predatory tow companies pull cars. Period. I have personally been standing in line waiting for a ride and have seen a towing company hauling out of the parking lot with a BMW that had no ticket on the windshield.

The circumstances of my tow were that the tow truck driver handed me the ticket stating that the cop told him "to give the ticket to me." This indicates that the driver pulled the car and the cop came by, based on the driver's say so, issued me a ticket. This indicates at the very least that the cop and the driver were on the same scene at the same time.

There is something specious about the fact that the cop enlisted the driver to issue the ticket to me.

but thanks for the advice. Park legally. hm...park legally. Thanks. I will remember that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic