Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug mentality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 4:01pm
Actually, I am one Hybrid driver that bought the car to be environmentally conscious. I actually enjoy the Toyota Prius that I have and its my sole means of transportation. It's not just my expensive commuter car. But, I don't drive by myself. I am in a carpool with 3 other people who are wonderful. And, I like having the option of going alone or with just two of us if someone is absent that day. However, I can understand why drivers get fed up with dealing with slugs. Bad experiences, having to wait forever and a day for someone going your way.....you get tired of it, you know? It's easy to be "selfish" for those reasons. I am sure that none of the slugs will understand - I am a selfish Hybrid driver (to them) and nothing is going to change that, but what can you do?

mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:40pm
If I had a Prius and a place to park I might do the same thing. I've had my fair share of waiting a day and a half for drivers myself, and not in the luxury of a climate controlled automobile, so its not like the drivers are the only ones. No real bad experiences though, but enough not good experiences to make it tiring too.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 12:50pm
Commuting the times/distances we are is just plain tiring. Having someone else drive makes it a bit more relaxing...I drove for the past 3.5 years and just returned to slugging last month.

More naps now....

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Commuting the times/distances we are is just plain tiring. Having someone else drive makes it a bit more relaxing...I drove for the past 3.5 years and just returned to slugging last month.

More naps now....

NoSb

Do you walk to/from the commuter lot? Run all of your errands with others in the neighborhood? When you are not leeching off of others, how are you making the environment better?
Buy the hybrid - quit waiting to be better.
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:46pm
WOW NoSUV, Do you run/walk to the lot? or do those other things? Or do you only own a Hybrid and think your the president of Greenpeace now? That's just what I wanna do at 5 AM, walk an hour to the commuter lot in 20 degree weather to wait 45 minutes to get a ride. Running errands with others in neighborhood...sounds nice. Anyone do that?
Jerry Seinfeld View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Seinfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 9:00am
What's the deal with these new hybrid SUV's?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 9:47am
Probably time for the moderator to remove all the unofficial advertising and promotion to buy a hybrid. Some folks may have the $$ to throw away a car every 3-5 years. I don't. Even if I did, I doubt I'd get rid of my car then. Do you realize hybrids will wear out quicker than other cars....how's that for environmentally friendly?

More nimh batteries plus all the fluids ending up in the junkyards as they build cars that wear out faster....nice look at the end-to-end lifecycle of a product.

NoSb

TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 11:03am
How will they wear out quicker? Just asking, not trying to be stupid.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 12:43pm
From an article about hybrids in Australia:

Toyota's manager of alternative fuels and specialized vehicles, Vic Johnstone, concedes the batteries, like the car itself, are built to last less than a decade. "The life of the car and the battery are supposed to be the same... around 8 to 10 years," he said. "We're not expecting to replace them [the batteries]. In fact we only hold one [replacement] battery in stock nationally."

NoSb

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 2:30pm
Soon we will start seeing all those first hybrids come in for battery replacement/repairs, and we will start hearing horror stories about thousand dollar repairs and land-fill destined batteries from those early adopters who thought they were doing something green but realized too late that they were being snowed. The truth will set them free! Soilent Green is people! Hybrids are a farse!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic