Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 9:50am
Seems to me that there are at least 4-1 hybrids to regualr vehicles these days. So if you did the math it would seem that there would be fewer vehicles by about 35% - which I would estimate would cut down on congestion. Don't get me wrong - accidents still happens, people still drive like rain is mudd, and rubber-necking runs rampant, I even still see folk pounding the brake when a trooper has a car pulled over on the opposite shoulder like it's Dukes of Hazzard and ole Sheriff Roscoe is gonna toss his ticket in the air to chase the Duke boys to Rosslyn!

Either way - there are a few easy answers: Require Hybrids to pickup, remove the hybrids altogether and return HOV3 to HOV3, extend the metro south to at least Quantico or Stafford...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO we get the famed "mixing bowl"...nothing like left hand merges and single lanes of traffic. HOORAH!!!

Just makin my way the only way I know how (cue cue cue!!)

LOL!
jojobean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jojobean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 1:32pm
Let ask this question. Regardless of what speed we achieve or don't achieve in the HOV....why wouldn't we want Hybrids to pick up people? The hybrids they produce now are certainly large enough to carry additional people, so why not require them to pick up slugs? They can still help the enviornment, still save gas, get a tax break and also reduce traffic thereby allowing us all to get to work even faster regardless of the weather, and accidents.
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 3:44pm
So, let's get back to the logic....I'm not talking car types here. I'm wondering WHY in the afternoon, the HOV's are rarely congested, as opposed to the morning commute? What's the difference? The HOV open times are both 3 hour blocks. People normally commute during those same hours, just how come the ride HOME is so much more pleasant?
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 4:15pm
The afternoon is always worse for me. I always get stuck in the mess south of Quantico. The mornings aren't as bad as that is
CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 4:26pm
I don't know the exact answer to your question but I would just offer that a certain percentage of the DC workforce may work four day, 10 hour a day, work weeks and therefore leave work near or after the HOV hours are closed for the evening. This theory also explains why Fridays are generally less busy than Monday through Thursdays. Just a thought...
SillyBilly View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SillyBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 4:48pm
One time i was waiting in a line and no one would get into the hybrid, guess they thought they had some weird car phobea of motorcycles.
coulbc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coulbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 8:30am
One of the reasons for heavier congestion is the fact it's dark outside. It makes it harder to spot violators.
Especially those with tinted windows.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SillyBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 1:11pm
I rode in a car that had all the windows tinted, we packed in like twenty slugs and never got pulled over, although it was hard to see out the windshield, it was covered in tint also.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 1:16pm
I anticipate the southbound leg more than the northbound. Maybe it's a perspective thing?

Agree on the mornings. Was staring at a driver on the way in yesterday. It was 6:10am and he was driving SOV. I usually flash a total of 3 fingers at drivers like that--yes, simultaneously.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SillyBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 2:33pm
I usually flash a badge or a sign that reads get outta the lane, nimrod!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic