Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 1:16pm
My commute both in the mornings and the evenings take 50 minutes each. That's leaving at 7 in the morning and leaving at 4:40 in the afternoon. And, thats with the momentary slowdown by Edsall Rd and the merge off of the HOV lanes and through Quantico.

It is irritating when we have more of a back up than usual because of rubbernecking at someone getting a ticket or because of an accident - I thought I read somewhere that they were thinking about putting up "blinders" of some sort so we couldn't rubberneck? I dunno. And then summertime Friday evening traffic sucks but you have to lay the blame on the folks traveling. I think this summer, I am going to punch in the GPS that I want all back roads home -- better than sitting on the HOV's in a 2 mile back up (30 min. wasted) every Friday. Might even be scenic...... ;)
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 2:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by Freud
I think this summer, I am going to punch in the GPS that I want all back roads home -- better than sitting on the HOV's in a 2 mile back up (30 min. wasted) every Friday. Might even be scenic...... ;)

Don't be so sure the back roads will be moving any better.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 2:44pm
Freud,
All that rubbernecking is a real pain. Especially in the morning when it's 4 of 5 days even when there's no accident or incident to look at.
Freud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Freud
I think this summer, I am going to punch in the GPS that I want all back roads home -- better than sitting on the HOV's in a 2 mile back up (30 min. wasted) every Friday. Might even be scenic...... ;)

Don't be so sure the back roads will be moving any better.

I was thinking more along the lines of back roads other than Route 1 - when you start hearing the music from Deliverance being played.
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2006 at 3:36pm
The back roads are just as bad. There was a time when only locals knew about them, but that time has passed. If you think NOVA backroads are Deliverance territory, you gotta get out more
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 8:42am
One time I bailed off I-95 to take the back roads to Stafford. I went up 234 to Aden Rd with the intention of taking Fleetwood down to 610 (Garrisonville Rd). I was backed up a couple of miles trying to clear the stop sign at Aden and Fleetwood. It took 45 minutes just to get through this 4-way stop sign at the intersection of two 2-lane roads in horse country. There are no viable alternatives.

To change this intolerable situation we must all refuse to vote for any politician who does not address this issue with a plan that has more substance than simply charging a toll to use the existing roads.
SillyBilly View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SillyBilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2006 at 8:58am
One time we ( myself and three other slugs) were desperate for a ride so we hopped into the back of a pick up truck. The guy was a maniac! Hopping speed bumps at 35-40 mph, taking sharp turns. then when we got onto the freeway he was speeding and zigzagging all over the freeway.
When we finally stopped ( after yelling at him ) we were all scared, he just took off and was either laughing or yelling out the window. What a nut ! this happened around thanksgiving.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic