Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions Solicited...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 8:56am
RCA, You took a job in Rosslyn but because of the cost of housing, quality of life, etc. you live in Fredricksburg ... and it's your bosses fault for wanting you to be a work on time?

As a supervisor I can tell you that getting people to work the hours they are paid to work is a great challenge. Let one employee get away with coming in late and pretty soon the entire workforce is on their own schedule. I also know having worked in a factory during my college days that the boss didn't care what the roads were like he wanted us there at 6 a.m. Actually, I would love it if the federal government went to a time card like they do in many civilian jobs.

Not only do you complain about the fact that your occassionally late, your boss has already made special allowances for your hours of work. I think your indignation is a little bit misplaced. I recommend you make a greater effort to be to work on time or move to a place where the traffic is not such an issue.

If you are working late, make sure your boss knows it and approves it so you do get comp time.

BTW, why are both of us posting messages during work hours?????
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:02pm
If you had read what I wrote, I commented on being just a few minutes late, versus the brunch time arrival.

:'}
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:16pm
There are plenty of government agencies that deal with roads. VDOT sound familiar? Who knows how many on the federal side. As far as I'm aware, the government has made no attemps to facilitate any type of ride sharing. I just got a commuter benefit option finally, and only because Bush made it a law. Of course congress did't give us money for it, but it's there. Some of the companies like 3m, sound like they're in a different situation than downtown DC. 3M can build a parking lot pretty easy. I gotta work 10 more years to think about getting a parking pass. And for someone that's on company time with the nose to the grindstone and the shoulder on the wheel, you post so much on here I did't think you had a job. But I do agree with you somewhat. Our Local, State and Federal governments have let us down with transportation issues. It seems they wait until problems become huge, then spend an enormous amount of money on them , only to be in a similar situation a short time later. Instead of lowest bid contracts, why not spend more on better quality materials to reduce maintenance costs in the long run? Then the savings could build more useful things than filling potholes. I think there's a lack of planning for the future, but I don't build the roads, so I don't know what challenges they have
TROLL View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TROLL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2006 at 3:34pm
Wow! What crawled up Miksters butt today?![xx(]
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 8:27am
Ahhhhhh....got to work 5 minutes EARLY today!!! WOOO HOOO!!

:'}
RCA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2006 at 1:25pm
Oosik,

I think you misunderstand the post. Yes, I took a jobin Rosslyn, but on the other hand I was hired living in Fredericksburg. I'm not saying it's my supervisor's fault or anything of the kind, what I'm saying is I can't be held to a timeline when events beyond my control occur. It's not my concern about "getting the workforce to work their hours"...I can only be accountable for me. When I work overtime there is no reward - that is why we work - the reward. If I walk in 15 minutes late but I bust humps to get ahead of the curb and receive above the line appraisals...I think that you should not micromanage my day. I leave early enough to get to work, most days I arrive with no issues, but some days (as we all know) you simply can't. I know there are no easy answers, but sheesh....a little understanding would go a long way.

Thanks for the inputs people - I appreciate it. I'll just leave really early and hope it pays off down the line. [^]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic