Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDelegegates Betray Us - Extend Hybrids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 9:16am
Anyone know how our delegates voted? Specifically McQuigg.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 9:22am
The big vote for this is tomorrow. McQuigg has not yet taken a stand and will be sending a mass email today to constituents to get feedback. Really the time to call is today.
Quagmire View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quagmire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2006 at 5:22pm
I vote we have volunteer drivers drive into a wall. Giggity!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 8:21am
from Freelance Star Feb 23 2006:

Extending HOV privileges for hybrid cars hurts slugs
February 23, 2006 12:50 am

Thank you for the coverage of the House of Delegates' vote to extend hybrid vehicle privileges on the I-95/395 HOV lanes [Hybrids still OK in HOV--for now, Feb. 15]. This and the earlier Senate vote demonstrate that improving regional transit is not a priority for our legislators.

The slug system is the most efficient transit program on the I-95/395 corridor. It transports 12,000-15,000 commuters at no cost and saves participants at least 40-60 minutes each way.

The slug system is faster and more reliable and carries more than twice the volume of the VRE Fredericksburg line.

These 15,000 commuters use the HOV to its greatest capacity. No governmental involvement, no commissions, no special licenses.

They don't buy tickets; they don't get a tax break or a voucher. An offer, a smile and a mutual destination, and all do well by doing good.

The slug movement is the most successful grass-roots action in Virginia's recent history.

Since 2001, the commute for slugs has slowed. This has been due to the addition of single-rider hybrids in the HOV lanes.

Slug riders and drivers have accepted this with the certainty that July 2006 would be the end of hybrid exceptions.

However, at the urging of the Virginia Auto Dealers Association, delegates and senators will extend the exception and allow these losses to worsen.

Affluent hybrid owners pay (and are repaid through tax credits) to avoid doing the right thing.

With the exception of Mark Cole, no delegate or senator is interested in moving people.

Money talks. Freight and cars have priority over people and will continue to do so unless we do something about it. The HOT lanes will be the next step in crushing the slug movement.

I urge all of us who benefit from slugs to contact our representatives and tell them the July 2006 date is what they promised. They should keep their word.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 1:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]from Freelance Star Feb 23 2006:

Extending HOV privileges for hybrid cars hurts slugs
February 23, 2006 12:50 am

These 15,000 commuters use the HOV to its greatest capacity. No governmental involvement, no commissions, no special licenses.

Since 2001, the commute for slugs has slowed. This has been due to the addition of single-rider hybrids in the HOV lanes.

However, at the urging of the Virginia Auto Dealers Association, delegates and senators will extend the exception and allow these losses to worsen.

Affluent hybrid owners pay (and are repaid through tax credits) to avoid doing the right thing.

Money talks. Freight and cars have priority over people and will continue to do so unless we do something about it. The HOT lanes will be the next step in crushing the slug movement.

My goodness - so many errors of fact in one place!

There most certainly IS government involvement! Is it HOV-2, 3, or 4? Is it HOV at all? It used to be only for buses. Yes, there is government involvement.

The commute has slowed not just for slugs, but for everyone in the region. This is due to the population growth. How many roads have been added in the last 5 years to accommodate the population increase of 1/4 million people? Zero!

Hybrid owners do not receive financial compensation equal to the increase in cost of the vehicle. If that were true, no one with any sense (including slugs) would buy anything else. More than anyone who buys a non-hybrid vehicle, hybrid owners are doing the right thing.

Um, what do people think freight and cars are for? Horses? Of course they are for people. It is fairly ignorant to say that freight and cars have priority over people.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 1:52pm
Look. People who buy hybrids in this area buy them only to ride HOV lanes without having two additional riders. Everyone knows this. Why cant hybrid owners just admit it? SOV Hybrids and violators will always be reviled by those of us who travel HOV3. Enough already with the phoney justifications.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 3:16pm
Ludd,

Disagree ... two of my neigbors have bought hybrids in the past year or two and neither of them goes near the HOV lanes each day on their way to and from work. One goes from Burke to the Tysons Corner area via Braddock Rd and the Beltway, and the other drives from Burke on the Fairfax County Parkway to their workplace near Dulles Airport. I'm sure there are many other commuters who bought hybrids for gas mileage reasons and they never or seldom go near an HOV lane when they commute.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2006 at 11:20pm
sluDgE,
How do you explain why the 10th most populous state in the country has the second most amount of hybrids? All of the environmentalists here? California is the only state ahead of Virginia in number of hybrids on the road and it has five times our population.

Of course there are people that buy hybrids for reasons other than HOV, but don't disagree with someone stating an obvious truth for 95%+ of the hybrid buyers. It makes you look silly.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 10:25am
Thanks MDC for understanding this absurd hypocracy. However, try 97-98%.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 4:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Bottom line is that ANY single occupant, fossil fuel vehicle is part of the problem, not part of the solution. ... Until then, hybrids are a scam, and SOV hybrids do not belong in the HOV lanes.

Why isn't the bottom line that ANY non-public transportation solution for commuting is part of the problem? Why do you stop short? The scam is the selfish slug community, unwilling to use public transportation in favor of a free ride.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm a former slugger, public transportation user and a current hybrid owner; the only reason I do not pick up slugs is because I commute from Arlington to Silver Spring--I have gone through Commuter Connections for three years straight with no success in finding people to pick up or to ride with. Stopping to drop people off in DC will not work for me; I take the Beltway in to Montgomery County, and would be late for work. There is no established pick up point in Arlington that I know of, for that matter. To avoid causing congestion in the HOV lanes, I go into work on a later schedule, which means that HOV is over by the time I hit 395 to return home.

No one here seems to be considering the needs of those with suburb-to-suburb commutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic