Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGo Yellow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go Yellow
    Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 6:30am
Saw an ad on TV for the first time for GM's push for E85 vehicles as a sensible approach to alternative, renewable, clean fuel vehicles.

Their campaign is called "Go Yellow". You can read about it at http://www.gm.com/company/onlygm/

Good to see at least one vehicle manufacturer taking a lead in driving towards a real solution to alternative fuels.

Haven't researched it enough yet to know if they're looking to influence the fuel distribution end of the equation too or not. That would be a HUGE success for TRUE alternative fuels.

Not personally too thrilled with GM cars, but maybe...

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 7:45am
NoSB: how is your alternative fuel vehicle working out for you?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 7:53am
Great! I get to ride the HOV by myself since VDOT built the HOV for it to be travelled SOV.

I love going past all those pollution-spewing singletons in the main lanes, snubbing my nose at them as I go.

It gives me such a feeling of fulfillment in life to live for me and me alone. Don't have to pick up slugs anymore.

All the while getting less mpg than what they claim the thing is supposed to get and I've paid a premium on my vehicle that I didn't pay by buying an SUV

NoSUV, thanks for selling me a brand new hybrid. I now understand YOUR vested interest in this technology. When you putting in that swimming pool we talked about?

NoSb

122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2006 at 8:33am
I'm thinking about that hybrid pickup. Anyone know if it qualifies for the HOV exemption?

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 6:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]Great! I get to ride the HOV by myself since VDOT built the HOV for it to be travelled SOV.

I love going past all those pollution-spewing singletons in the main lanes, snubbing my nose at them as I go.

It gives me such a feeling of fulfillment in life to live for me and me alone. Don't have to pick up slugs anymore.

All the while getting less mpg than what they claim the thing is supposed to get and I've paid a premium on my vehicle that I didn't pay by buying an SUV

NoSUV, thanks for selling me a brand new hybrid. I now understand YOUR vested interest in this technology. When you putting in that swimming pool we talked about?

NoSb

Excuse me. If this is the case, why did GM kill off the electric vehicles that folks were test-driving in California. Wouldn't let the people keep them. Let me guess--they landed in a landfill.

Don't you think your interests would be better served if you WORKED with hybrid drivers? With this kind of split going on, no wonder HOT lanes are inevitable. See how much you like slugging then.

And before you jump all over me, let me tell you that I'm a former slugger, present hybrid driver who held off driving SOV for two years until the commute got too bad in the regular lanes.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 6:34pm
For your reading pleasure:

From: http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/hybrid-daze/greenisblackisyellow

Of course, if you are one of the people trying to ruin GM, then you would come up with the idea of pushing yellow (for corn) instead of green.

The company recently launched an ad campaign based on the tag line, "Live Green, Go Yellow" in the hopes of tapping into the E85 (ethanol) hype. They even made an online game that allows you to drive through the subsidized cornfields of Iowa. (try not to kill the chickens in the field or Pam Anderson'll come after you)

One wonders if the folks at GM know that there are only 600 E85 fueling stations in the US and almost 200 of them are Minnesota.

This whole green is yellow and E85 is our opportunity is emblematic of the utter hell that GM is locked into (see Fortune's recent piece, "The Tragedy of General Motors,") and underscores the need for the company to accept reality and go bankrupt.

From Fortune Magazine: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/20/8369111/index.htm

One Wall Streeter deeply familiar with the company recently stated the challenge starkly: "I would say that turning GM around is a harder logistical and managerial task than the invasion of Iraq."

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 8:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
[br]For your reading pleasure:

<>

From Fortune Magazine: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/20/8369111/index.htm

One Wall Streeter deeply familiar with the company recently stated the challenge starkly: "I would say that turning GM around is a harder logistical and managerial task than the invasion of Iraq."

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/02/20/8369111/index.htm

http://tinyurl.com/pfycb

The Tragedy of General Motors

The Detroit giant is a weird, scarred combination: a car maker doing poorly, and an insurance company engulfed by its obligations. It's heading for a wreck -- which is why CEO Rick Wagoner has the toughest job in business.

By Carol Loomis Feb 2006

RJB comments: This is a lengthy article. Of note is that the equity held by retirees is greater than the equity held by stockholders. Perhaps the financial solution is to buy back the publicly held equity. The sales or engineering solutions pale in comparison to the funding structure.

The motivation for the players to become prosperous is more pressing when they are more involved.

For breakfast, the chicken is involved, the pig is committed. Stockholders play a part, but not to the extent of workers. Stockholders may be a thing of the past for GM.

Of the recent articles, none have gone back in history of the negotiations for the choice for supplemental unemployment benefits vice a guaranteed annual wage. Nor have any of the articles commented on the part government should play in deferred compensation. Compensation which, when called "fringe benefits" becomes subject to exploitation by the greedy.

Note fringe benefits are not to be confused with "french benefits". French benefits were fried long ago, hence the term french fries.
[:D]

dickboyd@aol.com
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 1:33pm
Say what you will about ethanol. It's eliminating Brazils dependencies in foreign oil and building their economy in sugar production. Plus, ethanol is a renewable energy source - dinosaur goo is not.
I applaud GM's production of flexible fuel vehicles for U.S. It, at least provides us a choice and possible path to renewable energy.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6817

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 4:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]Say what you will about ethanol. It's eliminating Brazils dependencies in foreign oil and building their economy in sugar production. Plus, ethanol is a renewable energy source - dinosaur goo is not.
I applaud GM's production of flexible fuel vehicles for U.S. It, at least provides us a choice and possible path to renewable energy.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=6817

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Can't wait until it goes mainstream. I personally know of no one who owns such a vehicle, and I really don't know where the nearest (well, make that any) refueling station is. On the other hand, I know a couple of hybrid owners and where to get gas.

Don't wait forever - buy a hybrid now, then buy an ethanol vehicle when more readily available. Just quit driving conventional cars UNLESS you have 3 people in them AT ALL TIMES!
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[brCan't wait until it goes mainstream. I personally know of no one who owns such a vehicle, and I really don't know where the nearest (well, make that any) refueling station is. On the other hand, I know a couple of hybrid owners and where to get gas.

Don't wait forever - buy a hybrid now, then buy an ethanol vehicle when more readily available. Just quit driving conventional cars UNLESS you have 3 people in them AT ALL TIMES!

There are more ethanol ready vehicles on the road than hybrids. Probably twice as many. E85 is available at the Pentagon Citgo.

Once again, all hybrids are not cleaner than conventional cars. There are conventional cars sold in California that are cleaner than hybrids. The 2005 Insight isn't even eligible to get into the HOV lanes in California because it is too dirty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic