Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGo Yellow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 9:14am
raymond, once again, let's try using facts. When you go to the websitses of auto manufacturers who have both hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles, you can see the independent agency's mpg rating, as well as the MSRP. I did it just for the Accord, but I'm sure someone like you in an effort to disprove the facts can do it for other vehicles. Simple facts from independent agencies, raymond - not theories and emotion on dubious improvements or questionable statements on MPG/ULEV.

Again, on your non-hybrid vehicle, quite a bit of energy is wasted. Less is wasted on my hybrid. Does that make the hybrid "better?" Why, yes, it does! Is it as good as it will be in 50 years? Why, I don't know, but I hope things will get better! I also hold out hope for improvements in 5 years. I don't have much faith that a breakthrough is going to hit the streets in the next hour or so - do you, raymond?

So, there is a huge difference in plugging in a car (using energy specifically for that purpose) and using energy that is normally wasted (from the internal combustion engine and its primary purpose as the prime mover for moving a vehicle) to charge a battery which in turn assists with the electric motor (you knew that the hybrid uses an electric motor as the prime mover, didn't you?)
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2006 at 9:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]raymond, once again, let's try using facts. When you go to the websitses of auto manufacturers who have both hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles, you can see the independent agency's mpg rating, as well as the MSRP.

(you knew that the hybrid uses an electric motor as the prime mover, didn't you?)

The electric motor is not the prime mover of a hybrid. You need to look up the definition. The EPA has admitted that its testing method for MPG is flawed so it isn't much help as an "independant agency".
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 8:09am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

The EPA has admitted that its testing method for MPG is flawed so it isn't much help as an "independant agency".

But it is consistent in its flaw. It's like a watch that's always 5 min slow - you can say it doesn't give accurate time, but it is consistent on how far off it is. Same when comparing EPA estimates between vehicles.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2006 at 10:52am
So NoSUV, you would use the "even a broken watch is correct twice a day" theory in your reasoning? Not very compelling!

While I agree that hybrids use more of the potential stored energy in a gallon of gas by charging a battery with energy for later use, the increase in effeciency is negligable and cannot be accurately mesured by MPG alone. Hybrids are much more complex and expensive to build, and to buy (incentives and tax credits are bait). What we don't know is how long hybrids will last, how expensive the maintainence and repairs will be (to you pocketbook and to the environment), and what the long term effects will be of thousands of those huge batteries in our landfills. Of course you won't have to worry about that, but your grandchildren will!

At best, hybrids offer baby steps forward from the standard set by the most effecient internal combustion engines. And of course the ultimate goal should be to convert to renewable fuel, like ethanol or biodiesel. Focusing on increasing the fuel effeciency of gas burning engines distracts from the real issues; our insane dependency on foriegn produced, non-renewable, highly-polluting fossil fuels. And don't forget, your hybrid burns the same gas that my car does. Even if your car gets 30MPG to my 20, or 40, or even 50MPG for that matter, that is still very, very ineffecient! And despite your sense of superiority and nobility, it does nothing to solve our problems.

Hybrids are a distraction, a ruse, marketing hype, a boondoggle, just another product to sell, an attempt to perpetuate a fossil fuel culture that is profitable to marekters, a way to appeal to people who want to do the right thing, but don't know how. Hybrid buyers have been duped into thinking that they can buy something that will help the problem, when in fact they are perpetuating the problem.

Sorry, the watch is still broken. Let's keep our eyes on the ball. Alternative, renewable fuels are the answer.
twothreefour View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twothreefour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 9:28am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Hybrids are a distraction, a ruse, marketing hype, a boondoggle, just another product to sell, an attempt to perpetuate a fossil fuel culture that is profitable to marekters, a way to appeal to people who want to do the right thing, but don't know how. Hybrid buyers have been duped into thinking that they can buy something that will help the problem, when in fact they are perpetuating the problem.

so raymond, if you have not been duped by the marekters, are you in the category of people who do not want to do the right thing, or that of those who know how? I say baby steps are better than no steps, and certainly better than steps backward.
dilbertian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilbertian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 10:22am
quote:

so raymond, if you have not been duped by the marekters, are you in the category of people who do not want to do the right thing, or that of those who know how? I say baby steps are better than no steps, and certainly better than steps backward.

Twothreefour, I agree with you that current Hybrids are a definite step in the right direction. I believe that one of the key reasons the Electric cars failed was due to lack of low-cost, high-efficiency battery technology. EVs were definitely a step forward in concept but the technology wasn't mature enough given the target consumer price-point so they were dropped. The manufacturers said well...okay given today's battery technology, what can we do that is somewhat viable and won't leave motorists stranded in the middle of the road should their EV run out of juice? I understand how some people see the Hybrid as a step back from the EV, a signal of defeat but I see it as a big step forward proving that multiple drive systems can be fused into a single system. The complexities of a Hybrid are many more times sophisticated then the original EVs.

I think the Hybrid is about to evolve again as shown by a product this website is marketting called a Prius+: http://www.calcars.org/priusplus.html

The concept is awesome and thanks to improvements in Lithium Ion battery technology, we should see plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) becoming the norm very soon.

With this Prius+ modification you will spend approximately 9-hours charging the batteries at a cost of about $1.00 (based on todays electric prices) On that 9-hour charge you can drive over 50 miles at speeds up to 35mph without ever firing up your gasoline engine. If you decide to enter the HOV lanes and drive at 65+mph, the electrical system will provide assistance which will help you acheive over 100mpg if not 150-200mpg depending on your speeds, traffic, etc. The replacement Li-Ion batteries are approximately 10x more powerful then the stock Prius batteries.

Assuming best case, that your office was 50 miles from your home on 35mph roads the whole way, and on weekends you also did approximately 50 miles <=35mph of driving for Saturday and Sunday, and you spent $1.00/day to charge it, I come up with a yearly operating cost of $365/year. Compare that to the same scenario with a similar sized vehicle that gets 30mpg at a gas price of $3/gallon and we get $1825.00/year. A net savings of $1460. Now given the cost of the Prius+ of 12k, it would take approximately 8 years and 3 months to break even. However, if gasoline prices continue their current trend, you would probably break even in 4-6 years.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 1:00pm
Not exactly 234, I know what the "right thing" is and it is not overpaying for another version of a gas burning car.

Sorry folks, I'm a hold out. When they turn on the bio-diesel or ethanol pumps, I'll be the first in line to buy a car that runs on these fuels. But until then I will not continue to fund a flawed system by buying another version of what I've already got. Why should I buy a hybrid and commit to 5 - 10 years of owning a vehicle that perpetuates the status quo? Our current (gas and hybrid) technologies are perpetuating the myth that its ok to burn fossil fuels. I don't care what your MPG is, it is not ok to continue to burn fossil fuel! Hybrid marketers present their product as a "solution" and distract people from the reality that gas is the wrong fuel.

My next investment will be in an alternative fuel vehicle. This technology is right around the corner! When it hits, all gas burning cars (including hybrids) will be obsolete before you know it. And hybrids will soon be just a quirky display in a museum next to the "house of tomorrow!" Hybrid owners are driving the 8-tracks of tomorrow!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2006 at 5:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br] I don't care what your MPG is, it is not ok to continue to burn fossil fuel!

Great stand, raymond! I would expect you to live by your words and NOT use fossil fuel - even to get to the slug line.

Oh - did I take what you wrote out of context? Try taking those baby steps. Don't be one of those people always waiting for the next best thing. I'm surprised you don't use 8-tracks waiting for the next generation Ipod.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 6:52am
Ok, to use the successful marketing logo of Ipod instead of the generic term mp3 player tells quite a bit about a person.

Why do folks buy ipods? Simply because marketeers told them they were "the way" to go when wanting to listen to digital sound.

More discerning people buy mp3 players which cost roughly 30% of what ipods sell for at a given capacity.

Sorry to take this to that level, but the same thought process applies to gas/elec cars. Folks buy them because marketeers have been successful at convincing folks they are cool, energy efficient and a solution to any number of current challenges on the table.

Think for yourself. If you can do the research and still decide to buy based on objective criteria, do so. Otherwise, admit it is about buying into an "image" instead of providing effective solutions to the current bag of challenges we face--one of those being congestion. SOVs don't reduce congestion.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2006 at 7:00am
NoSB: So, which is better - an 8-track or an Ipod? Let's face it - the FACT is that hybrids as SOV pollute less than conventional cars as SOV in the same class. The commuter lot SHOULD be full of hybrids, as well as the roads. Unless we sit on our...hands...and wait for the next best thing. How long do we wait? And how's that 8-track?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic