Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hybrid Owners  You took Over HOV now out web site?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Owners You took Over HOV now out web site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drive3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:13pm
Looks like the local media, "Potomac News," is backing the hybrid exemption in HOV for another year. Article is poorly written with no real data, just their opinion. Obviously, they don't drive on 95 or 66, among the SOV hybrids slowing everyone down: http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN/MGArticle/WPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354265283

Don't get your hopes up HOV'ers. I have a bad feeling that the hybrids will be with us until the HOT lanes are implemented. I just wish those hybrid drivers who claim to care about the environment will take 2 more cars off the road by picking up slugs or setting up their own carpools. Nuff said!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 4:54pm
Jody,
The POS Potomac News got a fundamental fact wrong (about the exemption) Shocking! No correction so far. Few know this, but the Potomac News is published by students at a little known community college.
TheYeti View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheYeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 3:00pm
One of my favorite bumper stickers.

"My Jeep is using what your Hybrid is saving."
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 10:35am
quote:
Originally posted by TWO
[br]Funny how the law was originally written "alternative fuel" vehicles can use HOV, which specifically excluded gasoline. Where does diesel fit into that? That's much more efficient than gas.

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

I think Bob is going to stop deleting my posts, so I'll try this again. The law to allow hybrids was NOT based on fuel economy, but emissions, which is why diesel doesn't fit. If you read the literature, hybrids similar to the Prius pollute only 20% (a factor of 5x) of similarly sized vehicles, are 15x less polluting than conventional SUVs, and 45x less polluting than Hummers.

At best, you need to be HOV-5 to keep up.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008 at 12:08pm
No spams, no deletions. As before.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 12:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by TWO
[br]Funny how the law was originally written "alternative fuel" vehicles can use HOV, which specifically excluded gasoline. Where does diesel fit into that? That's much more efficient than gas.

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

I think Bob is going to stop deleting my posts, so I'll try this again. The law to allow hybrids was NOT based on fuel economy, but emissions, which is why diesel doesn't fit. If you read the literature, hybrids similar to the Prius pollute only 20% (a factor of 5x) of similarly sized vehicles, are 15x less polluting than conventional SUVs, and 45x less polluting than Hummers.

Why stop there? Think how green you'll be when you fill up all those empty seats in your hybrid! You'll increase your PMPG effeciency 400%, and you'll take three other cars off the road! You'll reduce traffic congestion, reduce pollution and help your fellow commuters. You could be a REAL hero! But...

No! NoSUV will not carpool, pick up slugs, or do anything but remain ego-centric and vain. NoSUV will ride alone with the windows up (heaven forbid NoSUV should breath any air that is not micro-filtered), NoSUV will point and scowl at carpoolers with cars full of happy commuters, NoSUV will remain indignant and self-important, and NoSUV will criticize. NoSUV is a hypocrit!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 2:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by TWO

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

Why stop there? Think how green you'll be when you fill up all those empty seats in your hybrid! You'll increase your PMPG effeciency 400%, and you'll take three other cars off the road! You'll reduce traffic congestion, reduce pollution and help your fellow commuters. You could be a REAL hero! But...

No! NoSUV will not carpool, pick up slugs, or do anything but remain ego-centric and vain. NoSUV will ride alone with the windows up (heaven forbid NoSUV should breath any air that is not micro-filtered), NoSUV will point and scowl at carpoolers with cars full of happy commuters, NoSUV will remain indignant and self-important, and NoSUV will criticize. NoSUV is a hypocrit!

raymond,
Tell us all again why it is that YOU don't have a hybrid! Is it because you NEVER intend to pay your own way to commute? Are you willing to say that you do not drive AT ALL? Of course, any miles you put on a non-hybrid makes it worse for every inhabitant in the world. Tell us WHY you don't care!!!

To be fair, the HOV lanes need to be HOV-5 to keep up with the hybrids. After all, extinction of life seems to be a bit more important than your free ride.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 2:39pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by TWO

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

raymond,
Tell us all again why it is that YOU don't have a hybrid! Is it because you NEVER intend to pay your own way to commute? Are you willing to say that you do not drive AT ALL? Of course, any miles you put on a non-hybrid makes it worse for every inhabitant in the world. Tell us WHY you don't care!!!

To be fair, the HOV lanes need to be HOV-5 to keep up with the hybrids. After all, extinction of life seems to be a bit more important than your free ride.

Free ride? I drive about half the time, and I pick up 2 or 3 slugs improving my Passenger MPGs, taking 2 - 3 cars off the road, reducing traffic. How about you?

With 4 people in my car I get 80 Passenger MPGs (4 passengers x 20 MPGs) reducing fuel consumption vs. your SOV hybrid at 30 - 40 PMPGs.

I make friends with everyone I share rides with. How about you?

I make a dedicated effort to do something positive for myself and others. You bought a hybrid. Nice try!

BTW, check your gas gauge sometime; it will remind you that your hybrid runs on gas too!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 3:37pm
raymond,
quit using gasoline person miles per gallon and use emission person miles per gallon. It's not about the gas you use, it's about the harm to the environment.

The only way you can get the same as a SOV hybrid is to have 4 people in your small vehicle ALL of the time! Do you? If you have a SUV, you need 15 people ALL of the time. Do you?

You are NOT making a dedicated effort unless you are reducing emissions to the point of a hybrid. Try taking the bus or buy a hybrid - then, and only then, will you be making a dedicated effort to slow the extinction of life on earth.

You know, we went over this before - my vehicle doesn't need to have a state mandated emissions check. DOES YOURS?
TWO View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2008 at 3:51pm
quote:
TWO,

I don't follow your math, but one of the laws written years ago about the HOV lanes, was allowing cars that did not use gasoline as a fuel. Natural gas, propane, full electric (and ultimately hydrogen?) fall in that category. The way I interperted it was, the lawmakers allowed the hybrids into the HOV lanes probably to help promote alternatively powered cars (and us Americans hate diesel). Then of course lobbyists come into play, and now the lanes are flooded with SOV hybrids.

Like I said in my previous post, I think hybrids are a first step and a great idea, but the HOV lanes have definitely become slower over the last few years. I notice a lot of SOV hybrids around me just about everytime I'm in the HOV lanes. Why can't they pickup riders too? (in their defense, I've noticed about three per week, HOV-3 hybrids - WAY TO GO PEOPLE!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic