Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hybrid Owners  You took Over HOV now out web site?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid Owners You took Over HOV now out web site?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 9:16am
BEEP! Wrong answer. You need to take a look at "like" cars. Not just a "oh let's pick 25mpg"

So, let's use a REAL scenario.

2008 Toyota Prius with VSC $23,710 MSRP, 46 combined mpg. 2008 Toyota Corolla with VSC, $17,360 MSRP, 31 combined mpg.

Gas @ $3.00 a gallon.

Let's assume on the high side for yearly mileage (which helps you). Person drives 15,000 miles a year. $1451.61 in gas for the Corolla, $978.26 for the Prius.

Price difference between the two cars, $6350.00. Difference in yearly gas charges, $473.35. Time to "break even" 13.42 years.

But hey, even if we use your 25mpg number, the "break even" point is still 7.73 years.

Damn! Sign me up for a hybrid!
CatHerder View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatHerder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 9:37am
And how does this argument matter? The HOV is becoming HOT so who cares if hybrids stay or go? In the end, either the hybrids will be picking up 3 or paying tolls. In the end, the only thing carpools will be good for is to avoid paying tolls. There will be no time savings, just money savings (as long as carpools remain free that is).

NoSUVs' love affair with his hybrid is his own affair -- and totally unrealistic in the matter of actual gas usage and overall benefit to the environment -- given the extra batteries and such. Also, the cost of tuning up a hybrid is a lot more. They use synthetic gas. Also, their tires are low tread so if you value your life you need to purchase new tires, thus reducing your gas mileage further and costing you significant change. Things that people don't realize when they purchase a hybrid. Rail is the only way to survive the population growth -- Europe, Japan uses rail, why can't the US?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 8:31am
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]BEEP! Wrong answer. You need to take a look at "like" cars. Not just a "oh let's pick 25mpg"

So, let's use a REAL scenario.

2008 Toyota Prius with VSC $23,710 MSRP, 46 combined mpg. 2008 Toyota Corolla with VSC, $17,360 MSRP, 31 combined mpg.

Gas @ $3.00 a gallon.

Let's assume on the high side for yearly mileage (which helps you). Person drives 15,000 miles a year. $1451.61 in gas for the Corolla, $978.26 for the Prius.

Price difference between the two cars, $6350.00. Difference in yearly gas charges, $473.35. Time to "break even" 13.42 years.

But hey, even if we use your 25mpg number, the "break even" point is still 7.73 years.

Damn! Sign me up for a hybrid!

scottt,
Exactly. You, more than anyone else, have proved my point. We MUST have a non-taxpayer incentive to encourage consumers to purchase the technology to make the environment better. After all, 1/3 of greenhouse emisssions comes from transportation, and hybrids produce less than 20% of those "like" cars.

London is already considering changing from a straight toll charge to enter their city to an emissions based toll. It makes FAR more sense to charge carpools to use express lanes than vehicles which are far better for the environment - which means the air YOU breathe, too.

Seems simple - link FastTrac to VIN. At semi-annual emissions tests, automatically link emissions to VIN. Toll based on emissions. The WHOLE WORLD wins. Even if scottt now has to buy a hybrid.
Pushback View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 11:11am
Hey NoSuv every time I check this site you are running your mouth about your little man car. Why don't you ID yourself to so we know what a jerk looks like.[}:)]
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:45am
Catherder,
Exempting HOV3 from HOT is only temporary. This is a myth perpetuated by Fluor to keep folks from going apoplectic. Anyone who bothered to read the proposals would be able to make this inference. Two years ago, your part-time, on-the-take, state legislators refused to expmpt HOV3 from HOT. HOV is finished-killed by hybrid lobbyists and public/private partnerships.
Sami View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 10:24am
I cant stand those hybrid drivers. They are selfish and drive at the speed of turtle. I think they should ban hybrid drivers from the lanes. They are selfish and slow.

Sami
Commuter of the People
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sami

I cant stand those hybrid drivers. They are selfish and drive at the speed of turtle. I think they should ban hybrid drivers from the lanes. They are selfish and slow.

Sami
Commuter of the People

Welcome to the debate "Sami Commuter of the People." This is a wonderfully intellectual contribution, and quite timely too. Recommend next time that you read some of the back discussions for insights to the topic; it will help to prepare you for the forum. Fight the good fight, SCOTP! And remember, "Never trust anyone over thirty!"
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite

Catherder,
Exempting HOV3 from HOT is only temporary. This is a myth perpetuated by Fluor to keep folks from going apoplectic. Anyone who bothered to read the proposals would be able to make this inference. Two years ago, your part-time, on-the-take, state legislators refused to expmpt HOV3 from HOT. HOV is finished-killed by hybrid lobbyists and public/private partnerships.

Now Luddite, that's an impressive string of synical statements, albiet true! So what are we going to do about it?!
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 4:51pm
Nothing anyone can do now except find a way to make some money on the deal. Invest in Fluor or one of the other publicly traded construction companies taking their piece of the $650 million pie. When I was young and idealistic I thought at least some of my elected officials did the bidding of the people. The reality is that taking the oath makes one's moral compass disappear.
winglover1 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:44pm
If I owned a Hybrid, I would still pick up Slugs. It just makes sense. But if I can't find a rider to go home with, then I an still get the benefit of the HOV. Sweet! Only problem is I don't want another $350 a month car payment... Damn!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
  Share Topic