Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Do Not Ride With List"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 10:30am
I agree with posting comments about situations which can make someone feel uncomfortable.

But after reading all this gripping I must ask. When I choose to drive in, should I offer my occupants that I pick up some refreshments and a tasty treat or a newspaper to read? Or, should ask what radio station you prefer and switch the station to accommodate you? And if I prefer my vehicle's auto climate control to be at 72 degrees but you are too cold... I should raise it to 76 degrees. Perhaps a sign that says… Clean Cream Puff ride with Ice cold air conditioning.

Sheesh. People. I can see cleanliness being an issue. But do not know how many times I have been made to feel uncomfortable by sluggers. I don’t want to hear you speak of your brother's half sister’s cousin in Kentucky bought a news paper route from a French man who got his nails manicured while on vacation in Florida, whether you are talking out loud or on your cell phone. Although on occasion, I enjoy listening to R&B, if you do not like country music, buy yourself some disposable ear protection. Protect yourself. Just announce your drop off point at the beginning of the ride and sit back and relax. I pass on sluggers because they are consuming food in line or drinking coffee. Do not assume because you are first in line that I will allow you into my vehicle with your coffee cup just because it has a lid JUST because I am consuming my coffee.

When I slug in, I try my best to keep my pie hole shut. I am getting a free ride and it only lasts 30 - 45 minutes. If the driver is driving a WHOPPINGLY DANGEROUS OH MY GOODNESS I NEED TO CALL MY HUSBAND SO HE CAN HOLD ME VERY SCARY EVIL KNIEVEL LIKE 75 - 80 miles per hour... I don't get my panties in a bunch. If he or she is driving with the speed of traffic and is not all over the place - so be it. If I am cold or hot… I deal with it. I can easily peer into a vehicle, better yet, open the door. If I notice a smell, or it looks like their personal trash can... I simply do not get into the vehicle. If I recognize someone whose behavior I didn't enjoy... I simple say to the next person in line, "No thanks, I'll pass, you go ahead."

No one can prevent anyone from posting information concerning someone's vehicle description or tag number AND perhaps this may be the best way to get the information out. I think an accurate description of the person, make & model, offense, and destination is enough. BUT, I'm willing to bet that there is a whole lot of embellishing in posts. Embellishing everything from speed, to smell, to cleanliness, you name it. Why, because we are all perfect here at Slug-Lines.com! We all drive an immaculate 47k 2004 Lexus and our own driving behavior is so impeccable that we are afforded the opportunity to complain about a good thing and when we complain we always find a way to put the nicest twist or spin on our post that reflects truth with such tact and diplomacy.

We have all had to put up with someone who doesn't run their air conditioner in the summer or heat in the winter, has cracks in their windshield, people that smell like they haven't bathed in weeks, or are wearing overpowering perfume or cologne, vehicles that just stink - but guess what folks. The ride is still free of charge. Make your decision to get in the vehicle and for the most part zip it. If you feel that your personal safety is in question or you do not like their music, vehicle temperature, smell, no side view mirror, use that same mirror shine tact and diplomacy that I have read in this thread to make a comment to the driver BEFORE you get home to suckle?

I have read the idea of posting license plate tag numbers at various p/u and drop off points... I know... what about a photo of the car, the persons birth certificate, maybe we can even get a copy of their revoked driver's license, insurance information, and home address. Oh, Wait a minute... perhaps we should all rally together with candlelight in the evening singing Kum Ba Yah?

So what you had to listen to rap music – get over it, telecommute, or drive in princess!

[:I] Tiffany Elaine Brandt, a slugger and driver from Tackett’s Mill to Crystal City.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 10:56am
Tiffany,

I respectfully submit that you REALLY don't understand slugging. Especially the part of being a in a mutually dependent relationship and extending courtesy to others (ie - treating others as you would wan to be treated), which is part of the reason why we have this website.

By the way, where do you get that being a slug comes at no cost? Whining is one thing expecting to not suficate in the back seat in August is another. Before you respond, where do you think slugging will be in a few years if slugs have no mechanism to voice their concerns?

I am both a driver and a slug.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 11:20am
KNLNGUS - Since you mentioned the cracked windshield - which I mentioned merely to describe the car, NOT to complain about it - I assume you were alluding to my post a while back. As glacier stated, it is a mutually beneficial relationship. Without the slug, the driver would be sitting in the regular lanes stuck in traffic - and vice versa. No one here is asking for special treatment; rather, only for the basic respect and consideration that most drivers and riders do show. I think people that do not show this consideration are the exception to the rule, but to subject someone to a 90-degree, non-air-conditioned car in 90-degree weather is NOT ok. People can get sick, faint, etc. By the time I realized he was not going to turn on the AC, we were on the highway. Was I to ask to be let out right then and there? Of course not. Maybe I should have said something to him, but I, as you put it, kept my piehole shut. However, if I HAD said something to him, I would have been perfectly justified in doing so.

Drivers are certainly entitled to having rules in their car, but they should not forget that the comfort of their riders is not something to be disregarded. Thankfully, MOST drivers understand this.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 11:36am
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Tiffany,

I respectfully submit that you REALLY don't understand slugging. Especially the part of being a in a mutually dependent relationship and extending courtesy to others (ie - treating others as you would wan to be treated), which is part of the reason why we have this website.

By the way, where do you get that being a slug comes at no cost? Whining is one thing expecting to not suficate in the back seat in August is another. Before you respond, where do you think slugging will be in a few years if slugs have no mechanism to voice their concerns?

I am both a driver and a slug.

glacier, Wow - well, perhaps I don't understand the art of slugging. My existence in Prince William County only dates back 5 years. For the first 2 years I drove in and then decided to become a slug, opting to drive in no less 5 times a month.

I do agree with you in the sense that slugging is a mutually dependent vehicle for both parties but I listen to what appears to be all this petty incessant whining and I get upset.

Beyond my curiosity whether the people who have complained on thread after thread in this forum about specific drivers ACTUALLY mentioning something or voice their concern to the driver - you and I both know the fact remains if you hand out a free ticket, someone will inevitably complain that the ride was too fast, too slow, background music wasn't suitable, the car wasn't clean... on and on.

WHEREAS... as a slugger, I am so thankful that I am not expending my hard earned cash in support of gas, tire wear, vehicle maintenance, potential for road rash on my vehicle, and stress of driving... That so long as I utilize my own discretion in getting into someone's vehicle, I won't whine.

Now... asking a driver to decrease the heat inside the vehicle in the month of August is perfectly acceptable. What is not acceptable in my book is anxiously getting home to post on S-L.COM about your miserable experience when you did nothing to try to improve it.

I haven't read... You know... I used the utmost in discretion to ask the driver to kindly bathe the next time he wants to pick up slugs or to turn up or down the temperature selector. Just complaining without the gratitude (that I HAVE) that you got to work for free.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 11:57am
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]KNLNGUS - Since you mentioned the cracked windshield - which I mentioned merely to describe the car, NOT to complain about it - I assume you were alluding to my post a while back. As glacier stated, it is a mutually beneficial relationship. Without the slug, the driver would be sitting in the regular lanes stuck in traffic - and vice versa. No one here is asking for special treatment; rather, only for the basic respect and consideration that most drivers and riders do show. I think people that do not show this consideration are the exception to the rule, but to subject someone to a 90-degree, non-air-conditioned car in 90-degree weather is NOT ok. People can get sick, faint, etc. By the time I realized he was not going to turn on the AC, we were on the highway. Was I to ask to be let out right then and there? Of course not. Maybe I should have said something to him, but I, as you put it, kept my piehole shut. However, if I HAD said something to him, I would have been perfectly justified in doing so.

Drivers are certainly entitled to having rules in their car, but they should not forget that the comfort of their riders is not something to be disregarded. Thankfully, MOST drivers understand this.

I wasn't talking about you. I have read many responses which detail a person's vehicle which only adds to the post’s negativity, further portraying or accentuating the experience. (ie. This person was speeding at a rate of 80 miles per hour – AS IF THAT IS SOME KIND OF STUNT DRIVING EXPERIENCE IN OF ITSELF– with a cracked windshield that started at the rear window and somehow wrapped around to the front of the car, dangerous stay away from, “do not get in,” post signs up, fire fire fire!)

I have been there… I have asked the driver to kindly run the air conditioning and was told that it would decrease the fuel mileage while increasing the gas consumption. I have felt your pain. Now… while I value my health and believe my overall condition is not susceptible to the ills of fainting, I was however, displeased. Like you, I probably stepped out of the vehicle and thought, “I won’t get into that car ever again!” Did I jump onto S-L.com and make suggestions about being 100% displeased. I chose to be thankful that I got home and agreed to myself to simply pass that car up least I attempt to recreate the same miserable experience.

I agree that sluggers (including my own) comfort should be entertained; however, posting someone’s tag number (might be a bit excessive).

I value myself as a realist with a quasi optimistic view. The situation you find yourself in today could easily be worse tomorrow. Where is the thanks that you got a free ride? I am thankful that I am not filling up my tank twice per week.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 12:27pm
I am extremely thankful. Nowhere in my posts have I ever said anything that was remotely ungrateful. In fact, if you read some of my posts, I say that I am tired of people in the slug-line complaining and getting upset about various things. My personal opinion is that life is too short to let things get to me. Do I think I let that person who didn't put his AC on get to me? Absolutely not. Had someone else had that experience with that individual before me, I would have preferred that they post it on here rather than just brushing it off so that perhaps the next person considering a ride from him could remember the post and think, "Oh, that must be the person who will not turn on his AC - it is way too hot today to deal with that, let me pass." After my experience, I did not stew about it or rub my hands together, thinking, "Oooh, I've got to get on Slug-Lines.com and bust him!" Please. I've got more class than that. But I don't think there is anything wrong with passing along the info and giving people a heads up.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 12:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]I am extremely thankful. Nowhere in my posts have I ever said anything that was remotely ungrateful. In fact, if you read some of my posts, I say that I am tired of people in the slug-line complaining and getting upset about various things. My personal opinion is that life is too short to let things get to me. Do I think I let that person who didn't put his AC on get to me? Absolutely not. Had someone else had that experience with that individual before me, I would have preferred that they post it on here rather than just brushing it off so that perhaps the next person considering a ride from him could remember the post and think, "Oh, that must be the person who will not turn on his AC - it is way too hot today to deal with that, let me pass." After my experience, I did not stew about it or rub my hands together, thinking, "Oooh, I've got to get on Slug-Lines.com and bust him!" Please. I've got more class than that. But I don't think there is anything wrong with passing along the info and giving people a heads up.

Heads up... (in your case) yes, in the form of a post on here. Whinning because you didn't enjoy the music, driving 75 - 80 in a 65mph, posting crap at the p/u - drop off points , and license plate identification is a bit excessive and requires restraint.

Malicous behavior should be identified but who are we to define someone with having them wear a scarlet letter (Puhlease people) because Jane Doe said (or typed) in a Betty Boop whine, "He was driving so reckless." Then another member will post... Oh... Lets Identify this strange reckless careless driver OH OH OH and then another person will sure as heck suggest they (wish) there would be some kind of license plate poster board to mark drivers as hostile.

Turn on your IFF transponders people. Some people aren't as clean as you, drive as polite as you, or listen to the same music or degree of volumne as you, but for the most part... a slug is parking his or her vehicle and should anticipate some bumps. I don't know how many times (jokingly) I have reminded my wiso who the driver was!
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 2:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by KNLNGUS
[br]I agree with posting comments about situations which can make someone feel uncomfortable.

But after reading all this gripping I must ask. When I choose to drive in, should I offer my occupants that I pick up some refreshments and a tasty treat or a newspaper to read? Or, should ask what radio station you prefer and switch the station to accommodate you? And if I prefer my vehicle's auto climate control to be at 72 degrees but you are too cold... I should raise it to 76 degrees. Perhaps a sign that says? Clean Cream Puff ride with Ice cold air conditioning.

Sheesh. People. I can see cleanliness being an issue. But do not know how many times I have been made to feel uncomfortable by sluggers. I don?t want to hear you speak of your brother's half sister?s cousin in Kentucky bought a news paper route from a French man who got his nails manicured while on vacation in Florida, whether you are talking out loud or on your cell phone. Although on occasion, I enjoy listening to R&B, if you do not like country music, buy yourself some disposable ear protection. Protect yourself. Just announce your drop off point at the beginning of the ride and sit back and relax. I pass on sluggers because they are consuming food in line or drinking coffee. Do not assume because you are first in line that I will allow you into my vehicle with your coffee cup just because it has a lid JUST because I am consuming my coffee.

When I slug in, I try my best to keep my pie hole shut. I am getting a free ride and it only lasts 30 - 45 minutes. If the driver is driving a WHOPPINGLY DANGEROUS OH MY GOODNESS I NEED TO CALL MY HUSBAND SO HE CAN HOLD ME VERY SCARY EVIL KNIEVEL LIKE 75 - 80 miles per hour... I don't get my panties in a bunch. If he or she is driving with the speed of traffic and is not all over the place - so be it. If I am cold or hot? I deal with it. I can easily peer into a vehicle, better yet, open the door. If I notice a smell, or it looks like their personal trash can... I simply do not get into the vehicle. If I recognize someone whose behavior I didn't enjoy... I simple say to the next person in line, "No thanks, I'll pass, you go ahead."

No one can prevent anyone from posting information concerning someone's vehicle description or tag number AND perhaps this may be the best way to get the information out. I think an accurate description of the person, make & model, offense, and destination is enough. BUT, I'm willing to bet that there is a whole lot of embellishing in posts. Embellishing everything from speed, to smell, to cleanliness, you name it. Why, because we are all perfect here at Slug-Lines.com! We all drive an immaculate 47k 2004 Lexus and our own driving behavior is so impeccable that we are afforded the opportunity to complain about a good thing and when we complain we always find a way to put the nicest twist or spin on our post that reflects truth with such tact and diplomacy.

We have all had to put up with someone who doesn't run their air conditioner in the summer or heat in the winter, has cracks in their windshield, people that smell like they haven't bathed in weeks, or are wearing overpowering perfume or cologne, vehicles that just stink - but guess what folks. The ride is still free of charge. Make your decision to get in the vehicle and for the most part zip it. If you feel that your personal safety is in question or you do not like their music, vehicle temperature, smell, no side view mirror, use that same mirror shine tact and diplomacy that I have read in this thread to make a comment to the driver BEFORE you get home to suckle?

I have read the idea of posting license plate tag numbers at various p/u and drop off points... I know... what about a photo of the car, the persons birth certificate, maybe we can even get a copy of their revoked driver's license, insurance information, and home address. Oh, Wait a minute... perhaps we should all rally together with candlelight in the evening singing Kum Ba Yah?

So what you had to listen to rap music ? get over it, telecommute, or drive in princess!

[:I] Tiffany Elaine Brandt, a slugger and driver from Tackett?s Mill to Crystal City.

I like your name and your honesty!

Live Long and Prosper
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 2:46pm
"Malicous behavior should be identified but who are we to define someone with having them wear a scarlet letter (Puhlease people) because Jane Doe said (or typed) in a Betty Boop whine, "He was driving so reckless." "

I do not understand the above sentence. How then, exactly, are we supposed to identify the supposed "malicious" behavior? And I resent the implication that I, as a rider, am supposed to sit back and take it, chalking everything up to personal differences. I AM grateful for the ride and I AM willing to put up with not being perfectly comfortable, but (and this seems like the 1000th time we've had to say this) the driver wouldn't be there without us riders, either.

Or are we to be Victorian children, seen and not heard?

Eric
Tackett's Mill to Rosslyn and back I slug.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2004 at 3:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]"Malicous behavior should be identified but who are we to define someone with having them wear a scarlet letter (Puhlease people) because Jane Doe said (or typed) in a Betty Boop whine, "He was driving so reckless." "

I do not understand the above sentence. How then, exactly, are we supposed to identify the supposed "malicious" behavior? And I resent the implication that I, as a rider, am supposed to sit back and take it, chalking everything up to personal differences. I AM grateful for the ride and I AM willing to put up with not being perfectly comfortable, but (and this seems like the 1000th time we've had to say this) the driver wouldn't be there without us riders, either.

Or are we to be Victorian children, seen and not heard?

Eric
Tackett's Mill to Rosslyn and back I slug.

I did not once say you are supposed to sit back and take it… Without question, if you believe your safety has been compromised, use tact and diplomacy to confront the situation. However, I believe that (along with the fact that you are less apt to remember a license plate) you will remember – Black 4 door Honda w/ one grey door, Rte 610 to Pentagon, Male Hispanic Driver, typically arriving at 6:45AM as opposed to posting up a license plate. Should a driver post… Anglo Saxon, 6’4”, looks to weigh 185lbs, has one freckle above left eye, goes by the name Chris, and questions you about errant driving characteristics when he places he nose into your speedometer to the astonishment that you are actually cruising 5 – 10 miles per hour over the speed limit. After all… you are breaking the law. A law breaker. A danger to society. Perhaps the general public should know that I am a law breaker. What about the police, now (in more than mere theory) could I expect a knock on my door by the police department since my license plate was placed on a PUBLIC forum with a person who accuses me of an act to which I (may not be able to respond to) before a bunch of sheep jump in with “the world is coming to an end” lets identify this recluse and call him or her out because we value jazz and a climate of 78 degrees and he or she just happened to merge into traffic and we were practically sitting in the back seat of the vehicle in front of us! My goodness, we were driving so close, why, “I just have never experienced this before… the sky is falling!”

Yes, I too would not be able to drive into Crystal City without riders. I have my own set of rules when I drive in. However, I give riders a clean, safe, climate controlled, environment, easy listening music (that I enjoy), set the cruise control at 70, and no… I don’t want to engage in meaningless conversation. So to a certain degree… YES, shy of immanent danger to all of us that I am not able to identify or your going to loose your faculties… I don’t want to hear it.

I am saying people, “that I slug in too.” I have to deal with most every issue that people have spoke about and I can agree with identifying the person, HOWEVER, I have read ridiculous responses to identifying people who are errant drivers. I would rather someone tell me they are about to soil themselves because I am driving 70 miles per hour than to read that someone was so generous as to post my license plate on this forum. Someone can open their mouth and then we are supposed to believe that they drive this way all of the time. What if they had a bad day? What if you didn’t say anything to them to correct their behavior – but complain about it and “blacklist” them by posting your 2 cents on a “do not ride in” thread?

I have seen people make whispers and comments in line about other drivers as they approach the line. You know what I say. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this to you before but there is general talk about you in the slug line. The first comment is, “Oh yeah, what is being said.” And I repeat what I hear and I don’t have a problem. BTW, the situation rarely happens.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
  Share Topic