Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Do Not Ride With List"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2006 at 10:33am
DO NOT RIDE WITH C AVERY, GOLD HONDA ACCORD. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!!!
I have been picking up slugs from the Stafford Route 610 lot (behind McDonalds) for about ten weeks, now. This morning I had my first bad experience at the lot with ANOTHER DRIVER. There are very few riders on Friday mornings so I was sitting in the line of cars patiently waiting my turn. There were about 8 cars in front of me and 1 gray SUV behind me. A gold Honda Accord with vanity plates of C AVERY drove into the lot and cut in front of me and the car behind me. I got out of my car and approached him and told him that the end of the line was "over there," pointing to the end of the line. He said, "No. The line comes in from both directions." I said, "We've been waiting in line, obviously. You can't just cut in front of us." He said, "You can get in front of me, if you want to. Go ahead." When the line moved forward, I swung around him and got into place in front of him, however, the SUV behind me was so disgusted with the situation, they left the lot. I picked up two slugs, finally, and as I pulled out to leave, the guy in the Honda Accord had the nerve to flip me off!!!
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2006 at 2:14pm

KNLNGUS is only inappropriate if it isn't dirty-LOL.

Live Long and Prosper
-That's Hilarious, can I get that on my license plate?

So when are the Do Not Ride flyers going to start being distributed in the parking lots? Maybe a code of slug driver conduct? Slug issued tickets for poor conduct? Take picture of the drivers and thier cars and post them on the net?

Arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, no matter who wins, you're still retarded
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2006 at 2:26pm
Those posts were from two years ago, when Uhura and KNLNGUS were the "bullies/spammers" of the site.

GMHP was hea!
RetiredNavy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredNavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 6:30pm
I may have put this in the wrong area first. I apologize if it is a double entry, but it's important.

When previously stationed here I was a driver for a couple years. Not that I'm back, retired, I am a slug. After three months of slugging, I have to bring to every one's attention a relatively new driver that is beyond dangerous.

He drives a 91 Black Nissan Pathfinder, NC Plates on the back 91BLKBTY, and a red Mid-eastern style front place. This man is an African-American Navy Supply Corps Commander. The entire ride he was on the phone with the cable company or talking with friends of his. The real problem is his vehicle is a stick shift. so when shifting he had one hand on the cell phone and the other on the stick shift, and nothing on the wheel.

Since I haven't encountered this before, what is the proper way to tell a driver his driver is inappropriate?

Thank you.
sharnj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2006 at 6:37pm
Like RetiredNavy, I don't know if I'm in the right place either, but my goodness I had a driver on the way home that kept falling asleep. We were all falling asleep, but I was seated directly behind him and when I woke up, I could see in the rearview mirror that he kept falling asleep. I certainly didn't plan to die today, but all I could think of was to continue to make noises and push on his seat from time to time. I didn't want to startle him or he could have just make some crazy move. I even let my cellphone ring and talked on the phone at one point. Gee Whiz! If you are that tired, don't pick up slugs and endanger other lives so you can get home quicker. Park somewhere and take a nap!
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2006 at 12:03pm
Retired Navy,
You can nicely tell the driver at the end of the ride that you felt his driving was unsafe but I doubt you will get a good reception. We all want to get where we are going safely but the reality is that you chose to get in the car with him. That's one of the only drawbacks of slugging. The best advice I can give you is to do what you did and alert other slugs to his bad driving practices. You now also know that he is an unsafe driver and you have the right not to ride with him again. I am constantly making mental notes as to which drivers I will and will/not ride with again.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2006 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the heads-up, Ret. Navy. I have been known to provide some "friendly advice" to drivers from time to time.

Once I rode with a woman who did not know how to (or chose not to) operate the defog feature, so as the windshield fogged up and she began to have trouble seeing, I kindly suggested she use the de-fog and showed her how. She welcomed the advice.

With agressive drivers I have even made comments like, "...everyone's in a big hurry today, but let's all get there safely!" Some drivers may not know that their habits are unsafe, or they make riders uncomfortable.

In your case, a kind reminder about safe driving with hands on the wheel may help. If not, I would say you are within your rights to demand safe, hands-on driving for the remainder of the ride and pass on riding with that driver next time.

Thanks for taking a positive step by posting your concerns here!
RetiredNavy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredNavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2006 at 1:25pm
Thanks to all for the info. I fortunately haven't seen this specific driver again, but I will definitely not get in the car with him, and I will make a point of telling others why I won't, but only if asked.

quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Thanks for the heads-up, Ret. Navy. I have been known to provide some "friendly advice" to drivers from time to time.

Once I rode with a woman who did not know how to (or chose not to) operate the defog feature, so as the windshield fogged up and she began to have trouble seeing, I kindly suggested she use the de-fog and showed her how. She welcomed the advice.

With agressive drivers I have even made comments like, "...everyone's in a big hurry today, but let's all get there safely!" Some drivers may not know that their habits are unsafe, or they make riders uncomfortable.

In your case, a kind reminder about safe driving with hands on the wheel may help. If not, I would say you are within your rights to demand safe, hands-on driving for the remainder of the ride and pass on riding with that driver next time.

Thanks for taking a positive step by posting your concerns here!

slugdriverandslugrider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugdriverandslugrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2006 at 11:56am
While the concept of reporting cars or persons who pose a danger to riders and/or the general public at large is commendable, the method undertaken in this venue is obviously wrought with potential issues that could degrade the beneficial aspects sought after.

Has thought ever been given to having drivers register their vehicles in some manner. Decals or placards with a number could be placed in the windshield. If the driver violated certain safety rules complaints can be made and, unlike this notification system, drivers can present their case as well.

I'm sure there is not a person out there that would dispute that there are two sides to every story.

I just read this thread 5 min. ago and am putting up an alternative. I am sure that there are issues with my proposal but couldn't we put something in place that is more righteous than this venue?
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2006 at 4:05pm

GMHP was hea!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic