Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Do Not Ride With List"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 1:03pm
Something interesting that I have seen one or two slugs do at the Pentagon. They hold up a sign for Mine Road (to signify the new lot). Perhaps more folks should start doing that, that way there is no question. Whether I'm driving or slugging, I always ask to verify where I/somebody is going. Don't want to end up in the wrong place, or put someone in the wrong place!
Barbara View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2003 at 11:35am
I agree that it would help out everyone if riders would indicate before they get in a vehicle the Mine Road lot is their destination. It is usually an imposition on the driver to stop at both lots and the ones I've ridden with, with only one exception, expect the Old lot to be 'the' drop-off point. The 'one exception' didn't make it clear that he thought the old lot was hard to access until we were well on the way. He also told me the 'old' lot was closing soon and we would all use the Mine Road lot. I'm still wondering about that prophecy... I've not seen him again and that was at the beginning of this Winter.
I slug from the Pentagon to 610-Old Lot in the late afternoons (departs Pentagon 5:15 to 6). If you need a ride from the Old lot to Mine Road, ask me before we leave the Pentagon--I'll be glad to drop you rather than inconvenience a driver or have someone try to walk across 610. It is a busy, dangerous road not intended for pedestrian traffic.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2003 at 11:46am
Barbara,

They are EXPANDING the old Staffordboro lot[:)] (this lot is also known as the 610 lot). Once that is done, they will CLOSE THE SMALL LOT on the east (I95) side of the road, which actually is on private ground owned by the shopping center developer. I've never heard any talk of closing the Staffordboro lot. From talking with Gary Pash, the county and VDOT are looking for ways to better utilize the Staffordboro and Mine Road lots. They are also trying to put in a West bound exit from the Staffordboro lot to ease congestion at the 610/Staffordboro/Mine Rd intersection.

I do know that some of the DC slugs have tried moving the DC line to the Mine road lot, with some mixed success. However, I still see people (and cars) in the DC line in the Staffordboro lot.
artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2003 at 2:34pm
"I do know that some of the DC slugs have tried moving the DC line to the Mine road lot, with some mixed success. However, I still see people (and cars) in the DC line in the Staffordboro lot."

The DC line has not moved. A NEW DC line was created at mine road for the late commuters since the 'old' 610 lot fills up.
The ONLY pentagon line is from the 'old' 610 lot.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2003 at 9:13am
Ooooooooooh, I have to disagree with you there...I have certainly picked up for the Pentagon at Mine Rd. after the lot fills up. Granted that most of the latecomers are for DC, but that lot is used for ALL overflow. I've seen all types there and have definitely picked up for the Pentagon on more than one occasion. Watch out for the bum scoop! [;)]
artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2003 at 2:11pm
my error...that's the first post i have ever seen stating that..
Thanks for the update...

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2003 at 3:29pm
No problem! [:D]
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2003 at 2:44pm
I pick up Mine Road slugs from the Pentagon and it would be very helpful if they could make up signs so we can look for them. When we yell "Mine Road" the slugs obviously not going that way ignore us and turn their backs to us not bothering to tell the slugs down the line that we are looking for Mine Road slugs. I had one gentleman exclaim that "this is the 610 line" when I called out "Mine Road". I told him that I am going to 610 [Einstein] just the other side of it. [;)]

So if you are going to Mine Road, please make a sign so I can find you more easily, okay? [:D]

Dina
jjmahoney View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjmahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2003 at 3:49pm
I'm all for signs! As mostly a driver, I prefer to have signs so that there is no need to wait till you get up to the front of the line to yell (like at 14th and NY where the line of cars/buses/taxis can be annoying). At least with the signs, you can easily let people in line know where you're going. This site has them for goodness sake. Let's all use them! [:D]

As far as bad experiences, I've only had one slightly scary riding experience. A big guy in a green Dodge Ram that looks like a construction worker. Says he goes to Pentagon at 6am, and then on the drive home I saw him nodding off. He wasn't going too fast though. But the fear of him falling asleep was enough to freak me out.

My only other bad experiences are from inconsiderate riders. It's usually the same people though (like the one I've mentioned in numerous posts before, but I've avoided any description so far). I try to keep radio volume and temperature at a very considerate levels, but this one person both times she rode with me complained within 2 minutes of being in the car. Next time I saw her and had my two people, she asked if I would take a 3rd and I said no. Since then, she just walks past me. Which is a-okay with me!

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com
Pinkpg17 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinkpg17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2003 at 2:59pm
Here's one to add. I slug from 14th and G around 5pm. There is an older man who sometimes slugs and sometimes drives. He has a limp shoulder. Always dressed professionally. He is a pleasure to talk to but BEWARE do not ride with him.
He either drives and old beat up blue buick with one nonworking door or a black convertable with leather interior. He lets his dogs (not during the commute) ride in both cars and the smell is unbearable not to mention the dirt and hair that ruins your clothes. I used to still ride with him out of kindness but never again! He also goes about 55mph all the way to Stafford which add another 10 minutes to your commute.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic