Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Do Not Ride With List"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcelhenryg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2003 at 6:28pm
bright blue very small fiesta heading from pentagon to 610. army guy w/puerto rico stuff in windows. if his odometer had gone up to 100 mph, we would have been going that fast, weaving in and out of traffic, almost rearending several cars along the way. very poor english. BE WARNED.
PentaGoon View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PentaGoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2003 at 8:35pm
Excellent. Thanks all.
jl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 9:46am
WARNING TO riders at Long John's: Silver-haired driver of black VW GTI--license VA JEN7796. Be sure to get a contract for delivery prior to accepting a ride with this reprehensible character. Obviously he had waited a while for someone to head up 14th, so when I approached with a destination of 14th and K, he jumped. After accepting a ride, I said I might be able to get off at I St, which he said was better for him than K. However, he dumped me off at New York, where he was planning to turn anyway. Maybe to others this wouldn't be an issue, but lugging bags, purse, etc with a back problem, it is for me.
fastdriver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 3:23pm
There are two men who pick up at 14th and G in the afternoon. They don't go all the way to Stafford. They get off at the Quantico exit, go to a baseball field (I forgot the name of the park) and then you have to switch vehicles and ride the rest of the way up Rt 1 with one of them. They DON'T tell you this until you are on the HOV lanes. I'll give the best description I can without offending anyone so that you can pass on their ride. The two men are hispanic, one heavy, one thin. The think one has shoulder length hair and drives a small white compact car(4 door). The heavier one drives a large beige 4x4 full size pick-up truck. (I think it is a 3 or 4 door.) The first time they picked me up and this happened, I was scared to death! I thought I was being kidnapped. It turned out fine, but I was mad. Sometimes the driver of the truck picks up alone and goes straight to the lot and that is fine, but if his friend is with him, just know you will be delayed by a stop.
ksbindc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbindc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2003 at 3:46pm
Hi. I'm a reporter for The Washington Post, covering transportation issues for the Metro section. I'm working on a story about some of the kinds of drivers whom slugs face and discussions about a "Do Not Ride With List." I'd like to talk to some slugs about their experiences with different drivers. Unfortunately, I have a deadline on the story on Thursday, Oct. 16. If you are willing to speak with me (it would take about 10 minutes), could you please call me at 202-334-6410 or e-mail me at "shaverk@washpost.com" with a number where I can reach you during the day? Thank you.

Katherine Shaver
Washington Post Staff Writer
(202) 334-6410
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 10:07am
Katherine,
There are far more important issues related to HOV and slugging than the "do not ride with list". Sure, it's good to know if someone drive's dangerously or is rude, but that's something learned by experience and not from a list.

How about a story on how excemptions to HOV, and "HOT lanes" have the potential to destroy ride sharing.
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 10:53am
exactly. focusing on a personal preference list rather than the funds and time wasted in the mixing bowl project, or HOV violators that cause delays is short sighted.
ksbindc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbindc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 1:30pm
Thank you for your replies. I have written extensively about HOV violators, cost overruns at the Mixing Bowl project and discussions about HOT lanes and will continue to do so. Please feel free to contact me directly at "shaverk@washpost.com" with any thoughts about these issues or anything else traffic-related, as I do not regularly check this message board. Commuters have always proven to be the best sources for stories.

Thanks again,
Katherine Shaver
Washington Post Staff Writer

Linda View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 7:33pm
The information this forum contains should be a link from the home page. We need a method of keeping track of and notifying other sluggers of aggressive drivers. I think we should also post information about the bad drivers on poles located near the slug lines so everyone can be safe. I've been slugging for over 7 years and have never had a situation as terrifying as today.

I got a ride today at 4:00PM in Rosslyn from a silver Honda Passport SUV, black leather interior, heading for Horner road. There was a male driver and female passenger in the front. During the ride home I was scared to death. I usually read but could not focus on reading because the driver drove, when he could, in speeds over 85 miles per hour. When he couldn't drive that fast he tailgated the cars in front of him closer than any tail gater I've ever seen before. He repeatedly changed lanes, with out using a turn signal, and weaved his way back and forth down the HOV lanes. He also left the travel lanes into the shoulder. I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't have control or because he wanted to let the drivers in front of him know that he couldn't pass. Regardless it was terrifying. When we reached Horner Road I decided not to say anything since I was by myself. When I got out of the car I was shaking and I just closed the door. Normally I thank the person and wish them a good evening but today the female in the front seat rolled down her window and yelled to me "You could of at least said thank you, you B*TCH!! Needless to say, I was shocked and amazed. When I told them about their driving and how terrified I was they said I'm a slug and if I don't like how I am treated then I need to drive myself. They also told me that if I didn't like their driving they could of left me off any where along 95. At this point things became very heated. Eventually they peeled out as they drove off. I was so shook up I didn't get their license plate. I will be keeping an eye out though and I will get their plate the next time.

As I drove home from the commuter lot it occurred to me that I should of just used my cell phone from right there in their car to call the police and report their aggresive driving. As crazy as it sounds the next time I get into a car where the driver is driving aggressively I'm going to call the police and keep them updated on our location as they drive. If they hear me they can throw me out. I would of rather walked home today than go through that again.
Linda View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 7:36pm
The information this forum contains should be a link from the home page. We need a method of keeping track of and notifying other sluggers of aggressive drivers. I think we should also post information about the bad drivers on poles located near the slug lines so everyone can be safe. I've been slugging for over 7 years and have never had a situation as terrifying as today.

I got a ride today at 4:00PM in Rosslyn from a silver Honda Passport SUV, black leather interior, heading for Horner road. There was a male driver and female passenger in the front. During the ride home I was scared to death. I usually read but could not focus on reading because the driver drove, when he could, in speeds over 85 miles per hour. When he couldn't drive that fast he tailgated the cars in front of him closer than any tail gater I've ever seen before. He repeatedly changed lanes, with out using a turn signal, and weaved his way back and forth down the HOV lanes. He also left the travel lanes into the shoulder. I wasn't sure if it was because he didn't have control or because he wanted to let the drivers in front of him know that he couldn't pass. Regardless it was terrifying. When we reached Horner Road I decided not to say anything since I was by myself. When I got out of the car I was shaking and I just closed the door. Normally I thank the person and wish them a good evening but today the female in the front seat rolled down her window and yelled to me "You could of at least said thank you, you B*TCH!! Needless to say, I was shocked and amazed. When I told them about their driving and how terrified I was they said I'm a slug and if I don't like how I am treated then I need to drive myself. They also told me that if I didn't like their driving they could of left me off any where along 95. At this point things became very heated. Eventually they peeled out as they drove off. I was so shook up I didn't get their license plate. I will be keeping an eye out though and I will get their plate the next time.

As I drove home from the commuter lot it occurred to me that I should of just used my cell phone from right there in their car to call the police and report their aggresive driving. As crazy as it sounds the next time I get into a car where the driver is driving aggressively I'm going to call the police and keep them updated on our location as they drive. If they hear me they can throw me out. I would of rather walked home today than go through that again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
  Share Topic