Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti-hybrid road rage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 9:28am
Sparky,
You're just another SOV hybrid clogging the HOV lanes - even if only from Shirlington. Will the phoney justifications we all hear from SOV Hybrids ever end? Do us all (HOV3) a favor and put yourself back in the regular lanes.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 11:55am
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]Sparky,
You're just another SOV hybrid clogging the HOV lanes - even if only from Shirlington. Will the phoney justifications we all hear from SOV Hybrids ever end? Do us all (HOV3) a favor and put yourself back in the regular lanes.

How about you do us all a favor and live closer to town, or better yet, take public transportation? Arlington is a fantastic place to live in.

Do you see how counterproductive being snippy is? Seriously, I've respected your opinion. Respect mine. At this time it is legal for me to drive in the HOV lane. I have not abused that right; for at least two years I avoided it until my commute became unbearable. I have given my reasons for why I do so; I even make accomodations so that I'm not a hinderance. If you don't accept those, fine.

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 12:13pm
Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle and eventually will pollute far more when their batteries end up in landfills). Let's keep our eyes on the ball, fossil fuels are so last century. For once GM has it right with ethanol and hydrogen fuels.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 12:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle and eventually will pollute far more when their batteries end up in landfills). Let's keep our eyes on the ball, fossil fuels are so last century. For once GM has it right with ethanol and hydrogen fuels.

Raymond, would you feel the same way if flex-fuel vehicles were allowed to be SOV? As for batteries ending up in landfills, all vehicles have the potential to suffer the same fate. And while I am looking forward to alternative fuel vehicles, I'm not depending on GM, which is on it's last legs, to deliver them.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 3:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sparky
[br]
quote:
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is controversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

Raymond, would you feel the same way if flex-fuel vehicles were allowed to be SOV? As for batteries ending up in landfills, all vehicles have the potential to suffer the same fate. And while I am looking forward to alternative fuel vehicles, I'm not depending on GM, which is on it's last legs, to deliver them.

When Stan Parris lowered HOV to 3, the pundits of the day were forecasting that by 2006 the occupancey would be 0.9. Every tenth vehicle would have to be towing an empty vehicle. [}:)]

The powers of darkness and forces of evil are not the hybrid SOV drivers. The POD and FOE are the responsible individuals (CTB by appointment) and elected officials that establish the operating rules. Elected officials that recognize that voters aren't watching the magicians creating problems.

Spend a little more pitchfork, torches and storming of castles against the true POD and FOE.

Recruit three slugs. Ask your human resources office to give everybody a raise by using the corporate pitchfork to promote ridesharing.

dickboyd@aol.com
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2006 at 3:39pm
raymond: actually, there are many reasons why it is not only OK but highly desireable for legislators to allow SOV in the express lanes. After all, it used to be buses only, then HOV-4 - so change is normal based on changing circumstances. You seem unable to accept change.

At the same time, global crisis exists with dwindling fuel resources and global warming. The VERY BEST plan for the express lanes is to ban private vehicles; next best is to allow HOV hybrids along with public transportation vehicles.

The question is which is "better", conventional HOV (which does nothing to help with the major global problems when those vehicles are not being used for commuting) or SOV hybrids (which may be less efficient than some HOV conventional vehicles during commuting only, but are the clear choice when not being used for commuting). Throw into the mix that express lanes are still far faster and more free flowing than the regular lanes during commuting hours.

Is ethanol "better" than hybrid? Don't really know - I neither see ethonla vehicles our here or where to fuel them.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 12:14pm
quote:
[br]Folks, while the HOV3 vs. hybrid exemption issue is contraversial, we should all remember that we are first and foremost fellow drivers. As such we are equally responsible for each other's safety on the roads. And although it is all too common, the behavior described is not acceptable, under any circumstances. This is a valid point, who would encourage this behavior and to what end? It's just plain rude, as well as being dangerous to everyone on the road.

And while sparky has a little different situation than others in this forum who commute from the nether reaches of suburbia, that alone does not make it alright to drive SOV in the HOV lanes. The hybrid exemption fails on all counts; it discriminates, it adds to congestion, it fails to help any of the traffic problems in this area. The only beneficiaries are the auto manufacturers. Yes, auto companies are the only beneficiaries; (not hybrid drivers, who pay more for an inferior vehicle

Not so, according to Consumer Reports (who is in the pocket of no one, I might add), who declared the Prius as one of its top cars for 2006, and cited the Prius for reliability.
newtoslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtoslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:08pm
You know, this antihybrid road rage still is road rage and if anything happens as a result is criminal.

It's never okay to be aggressive or threatening. You know, it's the powers that be that are at fault for allowing the hybrids on and definitely at fault for not ending the exemption as originally intended.

As for condemming the hybrid owners for choosing to travel solo, well, until otherwise notified by the State it is allowed. Just get over it.

Wait until the tolls come.... Now that is something to attack with a vengance.
Freud View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 2:34pm
I am a new hybrid driver but with two people in the car with me so I guess that makes me HOV-3 CF. On rare occasions, I ride alone or with just my son in the backseat where most other drivers can't see him. I have had people drive aggressively when it is just he and I and just because hybrid drivers are allowed to ride alone doesn't give you the right to attempt to murder myself and my child.

You know, some us have schedules where slugging or public transportation doesn't work for us.

1.) The last VRE train leaves too early for me.
2.) As does the Martz bus.
3.) Slugging - if I get there too close to 6 p.m. in the evenings the chances of me getting a ride are slim.

Is the real reason why slugs are so angry at hybrid drivers is that with us driving SOV, there are less free rides available?

I mean, let's be honest - the hybrid drivers are accused of being selfish - is it fair to say that slugs are cheap? Granted, the perk for the drivers is having 3 in the car and being allowed in the HOV lanes.

The law is what it is for the time being....get over it and stop harrassing the hybrid drivers.

Snowball View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 3:40pm
According to commuter connection customers over two dozen vanpools have broken up as the occupants have decided to Hybrid the HOV lanes. At at an average of 9 persons to a van that means almost 200 new hybrids on the I95 corridor. Along with dozens of people who used to ride the train, bus and slug who now own Hybrids the HOV lanes have become HVOV (High Volume Of Vehicle) lanes with 4 out of every 10 cars being a Hybrid. What a sad day for the northern viginia transportation system. Our politicians should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen. What used to be a working commuter solution has now become a joke. Of course the automobile industry is happy and their lobyist are fat and happy as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic