Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti-hybrid road rage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-hybrid road rage
    Posted: 24 Feb 2006 at 6:20pm
I drive a hybrid, and commute from Arlington to Silver Spring. I owned a hybrid for two years, and did not get CF plates to ride in the HOV because I, as a former slugger, bus, Metro, and sometimes VRE rider, wanted to do "my part." I cannot pick anyone up--nobody is going to Silver Spring and I live too close to DC to justify driving out to the outer suburbs to pick someone up. Because of my commute, I recently broke down and got CF plates. To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30, when there isn't much traffic on the HOV lane. I come home after HOV is over.

That said, as I was trying to merge onto the HOV lane from Shirlington, an SUV carrying three people sped up as I was trying to enter the lane--and wouldn't let me over until the very last minute. The passengers in this vehicle flipped me the bird. Nice. A couple of days ago. I saw something similar happen with another hybrid driver.

I know that this is a divisive issue, but is this kind of thing really necessary? Because it's not going to scare me from driving in the HOV lane, but someone could really, really get hurt. And over what?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2006 at 3:56pm
If you want to generate good feelings, you need three people in your car when driving on an HOV3 road.

They shouldn't be doing that to you regardless... People do that to me too even with three people in my car. Even if I'm going faster than the lanes of traffic, they try to speed up to prevent me from getting in. It's not an every day thing, but often enough.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 7:19am
Kindness, good manners, and courtesy are in short supply. [:(]
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 11:06am
"To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 1:59pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]"To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

Even better, use public transportation - like the slugs should
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 2:31pm
This isn't much different than anti-HOV road rage that occurs at the end of the restricted lanes every afternoon.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 3:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

People doing nothing to lessen congestion should be first on the bus. You have options other than driving yourself.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 4:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

People doing nothing to lessen congestion should be first on the bus. You have options other than driving yourself.

And so do you. BTW, I took bus and Metro for years before I even bought a car. Trust me, I exhausted all options.

Luddite said: To lessen congestion on the HOV lanes, I switched to a later work schedule that puts me on the road at 8:30..." REALITY ALERT: SOV Hybrids don't lessen congestion ever. Putting two extra live bodies in your car lessens congestion - at all times.

Luddite, please read my first post again. I cannot take riders in my car if no one wants to go to Silver Spring. Secondly, by the time I get on the HOV at Shirlington at 8:30 or so, there is very little traffic on HOV, particularly since the major part of the rush hour is over.

MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2006 at 6:33pm
Sparky,
That was addressed to the person suggesting that everyone else ride busses while he drives alone.

Another possible annoying thing people do is try to merge into 65 MPH traffic while doing 45 MPH, like I saw a minivan doing this afternoon. I slowed down and let them in, but it wouldn't be unusual for that type of driving to get a deserved finger response.

I didn't suspect this was your situation when I responded before, and I still don't.
Sparky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2006 at 6:38am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Sparky,
That was addressed to the person suggesting that everyone else ride busses while he drives alone.

Another possible annoying thing people do is try to merge into 65 MPH traffic while doing 45 MPH, like I saw a minivan doing this afternoon. I slowed down and let them in, but it wouldn't be unusual for that type of driving to get a deserved finger response.

I didn't suspect this was your situation when I responded before, and I still don't.

Got it. Sorry about that. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic