Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commuting from Richmond to DC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 6:53am
quote:
Originally posted by SuzAnne

You should contact Tim Kaine. I understand that he hopes to travel from Richmond to DC someday, but he also wants to convert the HOV into a toll road. There are some who believe that is about as dumb as anything a politician could do.

Also, consider using the HOV all the way. Hook yourself up to a car pool or drive to a VDOT commuter lot near the 'Burg and then slug in. It is more flexible and faster than the VRE.

Suzan

Bob McDonnell's campaign said that his solution to transportation was to convert the express lanes into HOT. Kaine actually stopped the HOT project on I95/I395.
Pamselfish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pamselfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 9:06am
There are tons of us commuting daily from Richmond (a great place to live) to the DC metro area (better paying jobs). Most of us have tried all the options to see which one works best for us. Personally I chose to be in a vanpool for the last year and a half. A few months ago, however, a new option appeared on the scene. Spirit Tours is now providing a luxury motor coach (soft reclining seats, overhead storage for luggage, bathroom, dvd screens) with professional drivers that departs Richmond (and a few other places) each morning and drops off at the Pentagon (metro access to all of DC), Crystal City and Navy Annex. Unlike Greyhound and Amtrak, the cost is reasonable, can be paid per month, and qualifies for the government Transportation Subsidy benefit. To me, this is the best option so far, by far. It's so comfortable, and because we commuters aren't having to share the driving, everyone is pleasant and stress-free. This is the happiest I've been with my commute for years, so I thought I should share the information with my fellow Richmonders. The contact number is: 804-517-4974.
mitun1101 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitun1101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 9:40pm
Does any van go from Westend (Short Pump area) to DC area? If so, what is the cost range and time frame? Does it qualify for Fed subsidy?
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 6:53am
I got a ride home (slugging) the other day from the Pentagon to Rte 17 with a man who was continuing home to Chester (? Chesterfield?) - SW of Richmond!

I have also seen Vans on the road that are Richmond to Belvoir and Richmond to DC.

Commuter Connections is a good place to go.

There are clearly people doing what you do. Good luck Leroy.

tschilling View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tschilling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:01pm
I recently moved to Richmond from NC to follow my wife who got a job here. As it works out I've now gotten an unbelievable job opportunity in DC and I'm looking to commute. Unfortunately my work hours are going to be such that VRE or bus/van lines won't work (11am - 7pm). Are there any suggestions as to what I can do? minus moving, which we're considering doing in April once our current lease is up, moving to Fredericksburg that is. Better yet, since single commuting is likely my only option, any tips on cheap parking near Union Station? I know Union Station is $20 a day.
Thanks
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:29am
quote:
Originally posted by tschilling

I recently moved to Richmond from NC to follow my wife who got a job here. As it works out I've now gotten an unbelievable job opportunity in DC and I'm looking to commute. Unfortunately my work hours are going to be such that VRE or bus/van lines won't work (11am - 7pm). Are there any suggestions as to what I can do? minus moving, which we're considering doing in April once our current lease is up, moving to Fredericksburg that is. Better yet, since single commuting is likely my only option, any tips on cheap parking near Union Station? I know Union Station is $20 a day.
Thanks

Don't know about parking at union station, and I don't know where in DC you are working but you could always park at Springfield Metro. This probably doesn't help you too much but you should definetly check out the parking at other metro stations. I know that where I work in Arlington you can find monthly rates at parking garages and you could take the metro to your work but since I don't really know your situation I can't help too much.

Good Luck!!!
tschilling View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tschilling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 12:04pm
i'll be working a block away from union station. Mon-Fri 11am-7pm is only temporary training period. once i go Full Time I'll be Thur-Friday 9am-7pm, Sat-Sun 5am-3pm...i'm thinking about just going with an extended stay hotel or something for 3 nights a week, maybe 4 nights...i just can't stand sitting in traffic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic