Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Commuting from Richmond to DC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Commuting from Richmond to DC
    Posted: 15 Mar 2006 at 9:05pm
I just joined this site today in hopes of finding a better way to commute from my home in Richmond,VA to the VRE stop in Fredricksburg or to DC. I currently am waking up at 4:00am and driving to Fredricksburg where I catch the VRE by 5:10am. Is there anyone else making that trip that would like to alternate driving to the station with me.

Leroy
waterelf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2006 at 9:22am
You might try registering with Commuter Connections or something similar. I also have slugged from Route 17 with drivers who are from Ladysmith and Ashland, so I know there are people driving in from that area.
SuzAnne View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuzAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2006 at 10:31am
You should contact Tim Kaine. I understand that he hopes to travel from Richmond to DC someday, but he also wants to convert the HOV into a toll road. There are some who believe that is about as dumb as anything a politician could do.

Also, consider using the HOV all the way. Hook yourself up to a car pool or drive to a VDOT commuter lot near the 'Burg and then slug in. It is more flexible and faster than the VRE.

Suzan
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2006 at 12:13pm
Do a search on van pool sites. There is at least one van pool coming up from Richmond.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
frustratedcommuter View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frustratedcommuter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2006 at 3:43pm
Or you could just move closer to work..........DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!
ccary2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccary2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2006 at 10:00pm
Is anybody commuting from Richmond to DC?
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 7:34am
A lady I know commutes from Richmond. She drives to F'burg, then catches a vanpool to downtown (19th and E).
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2006 at 10:00am
I wish you luck Leroy, you must truly enjoy your job, or make a whole helluva lot of money!

:'}
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2006 at 12:18pm
Mabutoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mabutoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 2:04am
Hi Leroy,

I too recently started working in DC and live in Richmond. I considered vanpooling, commuter flights and rail. I compared the cost and hassle factors of each option and decided to go with buying a monthly pass through amtrak (Cost $650 Richmond - Alexandria). I too get up at about 4am, get ready and then drive to the train station. By the way, I chose Alexandria because its the closest to richmond (and therefore the cheapest) that sits next to the subway. Anyway, once I am on the train I can get up to 2 more hours of sleep and be in DC by 7 or 8am (depending on if you take the 5am or 6 am train). Vanpooling is a third of the cost but I dont see myself getting any work done in the van while watching a bad scene on the Road warrior outside my window (a.k.a I95 especially near the beltway). Also, me driving in that kind of traffic is not an option...too stressful.

I considered commuter flights to Ronald Reagan National (also located on the Metro) but way too expensive and of course the main hassle is those hated two words (airport security). I don't need to undress to take the train, they have a cafe car for food, newspapers and drinks, AC adapters next to all seats and quiet cars (no loud noise or cell phones allowed) for the ride in the morning.

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy

I just joined this site today in hopes of finding a better way to commute from my home in Richmond,VA to the VRE stop in Fredricksburg or to DC. I currently am waking up at 4:00am and driving to Fredricksburg where I catch the VRE by 5:10am. Is there anyone else making that trip that would like to alternate driving to the station with me.

Leroy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic