Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet peeves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 2:44pm
Doesn't everyone know that a Corvette can get over 30mpg if driven gently on the highway? I knew that.

My point is that you don't have to get 30MPG to drive solo legally in HOV, so that's not even a factor.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 2:38pm
apparently, you guys dont do enough research on cars. Luckily, I am a HUGE car fanatic.

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/specifications/

2006 Corvette 6 speed, 18 city, 28 highway. Close enough to 30 for me.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 2:33pm
If you want to drive in HOV with less than three people, and get under 30mpg. You need to get a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Ford Escape Hybrid, or Lexus RX400h.

If you want a sports car to drive in HOV alone legally. Theres The Lexus GS450h, which has over 300HP and does 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. I don't know if it will be available in time to get the old style "CF" plates required for 395/95, but you will still be able to use it on all the other HOV lanes in Virginia.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:50am
due to my past driving history which I wont discuss here, I have learned to drive according to road conditions. You can drive faster in the summer as opposed to the winter. BUT, if your pluggin along at 55 and your 10 under the speed limit, on the highway, with clear skies and a dry road, either you cant see, have no sense of distance, no reaction time, or are just being a nuisance. You CAN get ticketed for driving too slow ya know...

That aside, I still need regulars for in the morning.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:47am
We forget that the "Speed Limit" is the upper limit and not the lower limit. Various reasons they're set at that maximum, but it is the law.

Not that I (like most) follow it, but think it appropriate to readjust our thinking occasionally regarding this common road sign.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:06am
so you all agree with me that those who do 55-60 (in a 65 zone mind you) are a little irritating? This morning, once again, I was behind the pack of cars, and I was sitting at 80. HOV drivers are FAST at 8am. I felt like I was doing 25 out there.

So, I think sludge either owes me an apology, or doesnt understand how fast people really do drive on HOV.

Either way, I still get here at 845.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 8:10am
I have to say, I wouldnt mind two seaters IF they had both seats occupied, but I do laugh my rear off when I see a SOV in a little two seater converty (with the top down!)being pulled over...

This morning we were stuck behind a motorcycle to the right, and a car to the left pacing each other, I was waiting for the driver in the car to roll his passenger window down and ask the motorcycle driver to swap recipes!! Sheesh people!!

BTW- there was a study by college students in CA I believe a few months back about the reaction drivers have when a row of drivers go the actual speed limit in all lanes, at the same time. It was hysterical to see horn honking, flashing lights, bumper riding...the best was one driver actually tore off his side view mirror riding the wall to get around the drivers. Too funny.

:'}
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 7:13am
What bothers me is the guy going slow in the left lane. Today I had a bus pull out in front of me and then virtually paced the car it was going to pass.

As for Corvettes and other two seaters, if they wanted to ride in the HOV lanes they are free to do so.... when the HOV rules are not in effect. I could see having a really super fuel saving 2 seater, like the European Smart car, but I don't see that a vette falls even close to that category. What gets me are the people who drive cars like a Miata or Vette during HOV hours in absolute disregard for the laws. Seeing a cop pull over one of these idiots could be the high point of my day.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 6:58am
656am, getting ready to head out to work and pick up some slugs. Looks like its going to be a smooth trip, blue skies, 70+ degrees predicted. :-D

I didnt mean to come across as some leadfoot demon driver who MUST get to work in 5 minutes or else... I just noticed that some drivers to almost 90 and others do only 55. Sorry if it was misleading....
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 6:46am
BM,

Appreciate your response. The laws are written and we don't agree with them all. Many here don't agree with the exemption to HOV-3 for hybrids, some don't agree that motorcycles can HOV solo, and some even disagree with the speed limit (some think too low, some too high, some even think it's about right). There's lots of laws in our country we don't agree with, yet we know that to function in as agreeable fashion as possible as a people, we all have "preferences" that aren't going to be appeased.

You're aware of all that of course. Sounds more like you're suffering the effects of NoVA commuting frustrations as many of us are. Take 2 riders and call us back in the morning.

Enjoy your commute!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic