Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet peeves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet peeves
    Posted: 05 Apr 2006 at 5:09pm
OK, this is coming from a guy who just recently started with slugging, and has always been bothered by this topic. I didnt find another discussion about it so I will start off.

HOV-3 = HIGH occupancy vehicle, 3 or more persons

OK, so what about miata's, corvette's, porsche's, NSX's, and all the other 2 seat cars? They are about as high an occupancy your going to get with 2 people. Why are they not allowed on? I ask because for 5 years I drove a 95 vette and couldnt use HOV, even though I had 2 people.

Thoughts?

OH, another pet peeve of mine is those people who have wide open road ahead but still feel the need to go 55. COME ON! I roll at 80-85 and hardly ever pass anyone!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2006 at 6:49pm
Mike,

Are you as dangerous to others and as selfish as you seem?

HOVs are for safe drivers who share their car with at least two other riders. (Oh, and Hybrids due to alternative/clean fuel exemptions by law). People who drive gas guzzling two seat hot rods at breakneck speeds deserve to suffer in the regular lanes.

Go to a remedial driver safety course, again ... please.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2006 at 7:01pm
ok, maybe that message came across that way, not intended to be perceived as such. I was merely trying to understand how a vehicle that seats only 2 people, but still manages 30mpg (fuel savings) is not allowed. Its at max occupancy.

Next time your on HOV, look at your speedo, betcha you will be doing 70-75! And you probably never knew it....
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 6:46am
BM,

Appreciate your response. The laws are written and we don't agree with them all. Many here don't agree with the exemption to HOV-3 for hybrids, some don't agree that motorcycles can HOV solo, and some even disagree with the speed limit (some think too low, some too high, some even think it's about right). There's lots of laws in our country we don't agree with, yet we know that to function in as agreeable fashion as possible as a people, we all have "preferences" that aren't going to be appeased.

You're aware of all that of course. Sounds more like you're suffering the effects of NoVA commuting frustrations as many of us are. Take 2 riders and call us back in the morning.

Enjoy your commute!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 6:58am
656am, getting ready to head out to work and pick up some slugs. Looks like its going to be a smooth trip, blue skies, 70+ degrees predicted. :-D

I didnt mean to come across as some leadfoot demon driver who MUST get to work in 5 minutes or else... I just noticed that some drivers to almost 90 and others do only 55. Sorry if it was misleading....
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 7:13am
What bothers me is the guy going slow in the left lane. Today I had a bus pull out in front of me and then virtually paced the car it was going to pass.

As for Corvettes and other two seaters, if they wanted to ride in the HOV lanes they are free to do so.... when the HOV rules are not in effect. I could see having a really super fuel saving 2 seater, like the European Smart car, but I don't see that a vette falls even close to that category. What gets me are the people who drive cars like a Miata or Vette during HOV hours in absolute disregard for the laws. Seeing a cop pull over one of these idiots could be the high point of my day.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 8:10am
I have to say, I wouldnt mind two seaters IF they had both seats occupied, but I do laugh my rear off when I see a SOV in a little two seater converty (with the top down!)being pulled over...

This morning we were stuck behind a motorcycle to the right, and a car to the left pacing each other, I was waiting for the driver in the car to roll his passenger window down and ask the motorcycle driver to swap recipes!! Sheesh people!!

BTW- there was a study by college students in CA I believe a few months back about the reaction drivers have when a row of drivers go the actual speed limit in all lanes, at the same time. It was hysterical to see horn honking, flashing lights, bumper riding...the best was one driver actually tore off his side view mirror riding the wall to get around the drivers. Too funny.

:'}
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:06am
so you all agree with me that those who do 55-60 (in a 65 zone mind you) are a little irritating? This morning, once again, I was behind the pack of cars, and I was sitting at 80. HOV drivers are FAST at 8am. I felt like I was doing 25 out there.

So, I think sludge either owes me an apology, or doesnt understand how fast people really do drive on HOV.

Either way, I still get here at 845.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:47am
We forget that the "Speed Limit" is the upper limit and not the lower limit. Various reasons they're set at that maximum, but it is the law.

Not that I (like most) follow it, but think it appropriate to readjust our thinking occasionally regarding this common road sign.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2006 at 10:50am
due to my past driving history which I wont discuss here, I have learned to drive according to road conditions. You can drive faster in the summer as opposed to the winter. BUT, if your pluggin along at 55 and your 10 under the speed limit, on the highway, with clear skies and a dry road, either you cant see, have no sense of distance, no reaction time, or are just being a nuisance. You CAN get ticketed for driving too slow ya know...

That aside, I still need regulars for in the morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic