Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking to Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HybridDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 4:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by phreakingeek
[br]I've been in that line and have witnessed the "Can you take 3?" attempts several times. I know that some people may not know the rules of the game...but there are legit reasons once in a while. I know of at least two couples that slug together...and on occaision they are not in the position to be the next "2" in line. They often ask to take a third so that they can ride together.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...just that sometimes it's couple trying to spend that extra hour together on the way to work.

But since you're not supposed to talk, what do they do? Cuddle? [:D]

When I encounter a couple, I offer to take only one of them. You know, in case they have kids, and we don't make it.

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 10:17pm
Slugs, ask but don't presume a right to be a third, and don't argue when told no. Try offering some gas money instead.

Drivers, before taking 3, remember when you've had to wait 20 minutes for a slug because the good samaritans before you took too many.

Slugs, you're getting a free ride to work. If you have to wait a while, consider it your payment for the free ride.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Slugging works because drivers want to use the HOV to save travel time. When drivers have to waste time waiting on slugs, the value of picking up slugs diminishes.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 10:19pm
122582, give up your rants. No one is tipping.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 7:07am
adj,

122 is a fly-fisherman. I see his choice of fly is working still. Plenty of folks rising to the surface to either take a look at the fly or gobble it down. Why continue to allow this to "bug" you?

I admire the taunt that's put out there. and I've yet to see a tipcan/jar since returning to the slug lines.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:08am
Funny thing is, the day after I turned down the slug for being the third pax, I ended up waiting at the same lot at the same time for over five minutes. Although I was first in line I had three cars behind me when I finally pulled out. 122, I appreciate your concise way of expressing how slugging should work. BTW, I wouldn't turn down a tip, but haven't seen any come my way either.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:27am
I've slugged and driven for 18 years and have never once heard a slug complain or even say anything negative after asking "take 3?" when told "just two."

And it's very easy for a driver to hold up two fingers to indicate 2 riders. No words even need be exchanged. End of "problem."
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2006 at 9:41am
When the driver pulls up, they should indicate how many riders they're willing to take. If the driver doesn't, the caller should ask and relay that information.

That takes the "heat" off of the driver, and makes the "can you take more" question unnecessary.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 3:41pm
DC2RV- some drivers do, and thats cool. 12222245456 whatever the hell, SLUGGING IS FREE, IT NEEDS TO STAY THAT WAY!!

With that said, how long before the rising gas prices bring idiots like 122155456654 back on the boards ranting slugs need to pay for a ride?

:'}
SlugsB1tch2Much View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugsB1tch2Much Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2006 at 4:05pm
Take three!?? Hell, you guys are lucky if I take one.
gmugrad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmugrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2006 at 1:55pm
Sorry but if you are going to be late to work maybe you should get out of the slug line and take two riders in your own car so you will be on time. No one should have to take a 3rd. Personally I don't like to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic