Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asking to Take Three?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asking to Take Three?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 8:51am
This morning I arrived at the slug lot at about 0610 and there were about 12 people waiting for rides. I picked up my two slugs and the third guy in line asked if I would take three (I do have a van). I told him "no." Whether he assumed I would take three or chose to ignore me, he began climbing into the van. I then told him a little more directly that I only take two.

If it had been later in the morning (or if the weather had been something other than absolutely beautiful), I would have taken three because slugs depend upon getting reliable rides. But at 0610, I KNOW that there are many other drivers coming behind me who depend on having slugs to drive HOV. Since drivers are the ones paying for insurance, upkeep and nearly $3 a gallon gas, I do not see that I should have to expose myself to extra liability and worse gas milage just to make a slug's morning commute a few minutes faster.

While the slugs in my line this morning may not have appreciated my decision, I know that some driver who is PAYING for the trip, did appreciate having slugs available for his ride to work.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 10:32am
Oosik,

Agreed, you did as is within your perogative to do. As a slug, I just wait for the driver to indicate that 3 is allowed. Others don't.

Should be ok, don't go feeling bad about it. I've found there's a lot of slugs out there who don't understand the "code" of slugging. They should be pointed to the expectations outlined on this website.

Recommend the site next time too!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 10:42am
I agree, it seems this person took it upon themself to get a ride, even though you politely declined. Bad move on their part.

I was recognized this morning by a member, but my other slug didnt even know about this site, so I told him. :-) I can get yall members!
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 11:00am
Oosik- at 610, it really depends on what time, weather, destination, day..etc...as to wether a slug asks to take a third. Some days I have been up to a 1/2 hour late to work, waiting a 1/2 hour to get to DC...because I couldve been a 3 in the car that drove up 10-30 minutes before hand, but the driver said no. Sometimes taking a third is not a bad thing.

:'}
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 11:26am
ya know, I would take 4 slugs if they were going where I was. Its funny how people drive a 6500lb. van and dont care about gas but adding a 200lb. guy is just TOO MUCH WEIGHT! lol
Oosik View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 6:35pm
BigMike, I can't say I feel bad about it. The system requires both drivers and slugs. I am not driving an HOV to work and not picking up a single person. I do know what it is like to be a driver sitting there waiting for passengers so if there has to be someone waiting, I would rather it not be a driver who is actually paying for the trip. Like I said before, a fellow driver behind me a few minutes appreciated the fact that there were slugs to pick up.

BTW, I also drive in the 80s - when I'm on HOV with my TWO passengers. When I came back from Germany I thought it might be tough, but driving 80+ in the US (where it's technically a bit over the speed limit) is much better than being on the Autobahn stuck in a stau only knowing that you could be going fast if only for the traffic jam.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2006 at 9:22pm
I think that sludge just doesnt understand what its like on the route I take, which is why I made the movie.

I can only dream of being on the autobahn....
phreakingeek View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phreakingeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 9:23am
I've been in that line and have witnessed the "Can you take 3?" attempts several times. I know that some people may not know the rules of the game...but there are legit reasons once in a while. I know of at least two couples that slug together...and on occaision they are not in the position to be the next "2" in line. They often ask to take a third so that they can ride together.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong...just that sometimes it's couple trying to spend that extra hour together on the way to work.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 9:31am
in that case, im sure Oosik would have been more understanding. But it sounds like in his case, this guy was just being forceful.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2006 at 2:26pm
Thanks phreakingeek, my hubby and I ARE a couple just like that, on the way in to work its more of a comfort thing for me for us to ride in the same car. The way home it just makes sense..unless we want to "race" home to see who gets to the lot first. Uh, no.

:'}
BTW- we DONT bitch, moan or get pissy when we have to pass up a car because the driver either cant/wont take us both.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic