Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 12:11pm
quote:

The move of one line to another parking lot is a good idea. Things seem to have calmed down since the article in Sunday's Free Lance Star concerning the 630 lot. However parking after 7:00am is a no-go.

It would seem that the NVa/Pentagon line would be more suited for the Mine Rd lot (more bodies and traffic). Either way, not everyone is going to be happy; someone will still complain!

Marty, the NVa/Pentagon line is perfectly suited right where it is. That's why it is so successful! There is no need to "move" it. Just leave it alone. If you arrive too late to get a parking space then you need to find another solution that doesn't involve "fixing what ain't broke". YOU need to change what YOU do - several hundred other people don't need to change what THEY are doing simply to suit YOUR needs. Have you tried 630? How did it work for you?

Edited by - mycroftt on 08 Oct 2002 12:13:01
garypash View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garypash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 8:23pm
Moving of the slug lines over to the south 610 lot is being tried by various sluggers. I hope it works;The Stafford BOS has talked the bus lines to have the last bus of the morning (7:15am) go to the Southern lot to help get it off the ground.
Although creating a shuttle between the lots was considered, I was unable to get full support of the BOS, as some were unconvinced that it was an emergency situation. We are scheduled to consider the running of a FRED bus along the 610 corridor and tying a shuttle between the lots into it. This is supposed to be discussed at the next Board Meeting on 15 October, if you can get any e-mail to the various Supervisors it may be helpful.
In addition I had a meeting with VDOT at the North lot yesterday and they will be adjusting the traffic patterns in the lot to provide about 50 additional spaces. This should be completed in the next few weeks.

I will do all I can to ease the trip to and from Washington.

I will be having a Town Hall meeting October 28, 7pm at North Stafford High School. I hope you can attend.

GaryPash
gpash@co.stafford.va.us
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 12:05pm
Gary,
Thanks for your support on this issue. It is obvious you are engaged into solving this problem.

I have posted your Town Hall meeting on the new community Events Calendar. Hopefully that will help spread the word.

peedee87 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peedee87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 1:25pm
I like that we are working find a great solution. I appreciate the Rappahannock Area Development Commission for asking us for ideas on how to fix the problem.

I don't mind parking at the lot that is most convenient for me...in other words, when I am early I'll go to the Staffordsborough location and when its full I'll go to the Mine Road location. I don't mind walking between the two lots in the evening. I would, however, like to see more accomodations for pedestrian (foot) traffic that would make it a little safer. Also, I suggest additional patrols by local law enforcement would help after daylight savings time change for those who will be walking in the dark. This would be helpful as an interim solution, until a more permanent and feasible solution is found.

Although I don't mind walking between the 2 lots, I realize that is not a good solution for everyone. I look forward to reading ideas from other people that would make that walk unnecessary.

Trish

P.S. Don't kill me, but I'd be willing to pay a dollar for parking or have special parking for residents with "Stafford stickers," although I am not a Stafford resident.

Trish
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 1:41pm
1. I'd also be willing to pay for parking or an area shuttle bus (especially if they'll accept MetroChecks).

2. I'd also like to see accomidations for pedestrian traffic crossing 610.

3. A second entrance/exit for the Staffordborough lot that preferrably heads west towards the Doc Stone area.

4. Would a better option be to do like someone did at one of the commutter lots farther North on I95 - there's a very large lot that looks like it has multiple exits/entrances and direct access to the HOV lanes.

Christine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:21pm
I have been reading the replies that have been posted regarding the problems with the 610 lot (north lot). I am new to the Stafford area but commuted from Prince William for over 4 years. Initially, I was going to the 610 north lot and found it very stressful and frustrating just trying to park my car. For those of you who get there before 7:00am, I guess you aren't experiencing any of this. I am now slugging from the Mine Road (have been for a week now) and it has been a breeze. There is PLENTY of parking and drivers are picking up for all areas (not only downtown D.C.). Additionally, I have been returning to that lot in the evening and merging to the left lanes with no problem. It just takes a few minutes to merge in, but I will say from the ramp it is not realistic trying to make the first left. Trying to merge left to take a left onto Mine Road is much easier. Also, if merging from the ramp seems too difficult, you can exit off of 95 South to Route 1 and then enter the left lane with ease. Each evening I have saved at least 15 minutes of my time by just not having to sit in all that traffic trying to get out of the 610 north lot. I realize that this might be a change for all of you, but it does work. I think the idea was initially to only move the Downtown D.C. slug line to the Mine Road lot, that way there would be plenty of parking at both lots to accommodate all commuters. The fact that the buses are going to both lots now is an added bonus. At the Pentagon, my suggestion would be to have another sign established for 610 Mine Road. I've heard that some people have experienced problems with the ride home. It has been my experience in Prince William that, despite all efforts of commuters, lots are never built to hold enough cars and talk about changing roads, entrances and ramps just doesn't happen overnight (if at all). I think the majority of us just want a safe place to park, get to and from work and keep the commute easy. There are plenty of other more important things to worry about in life, this shouldn't be one of them.

cfw
DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:23pm
Peedee87 you always say what I feel. It's great ;).

I think a parking garage would be a good idea as well, but realize that might be a few thousand more years.

I definitely would like to see more accomodations made for people on foot between the two lots and/or bus. I don't mind walking as long as I don't feel I am going to die trying to cross the street. I actually would like it. Everyone needs a little excercise. Either way there would need to be some sort of security put in place and crosswalks etc.

Staffordborough definitely needs to have another exit.

I would also like to see some plans of HOV entrances/exits that might be planned for the future from the commuter lots themselves.

Think!
peedee87 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peedee87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 2:58pm
Thanks DC_Slugger...in fact I agree with You! the parking garage is an excellent idea.

I truly believe that there is a way to make lemonade out of lemons. In fact, this could be a great business opportunity for a developer in terms of a cross walk or directing the foot traffic. Creating a safe environment for us all, and perhaps a little profit for the business owner.

What if a local business decided to sponsor the garage or our commuting situation in general. In exchange for real estate from the county, the business owner builds the garage and puts a coffee shop nearby??? I am stretching I know, but I am trying to think of a way to turn the foot traffic into profits, that could motivate a business person to take an interest and be a financial partner on the issue. For example, how many times have you stood and line and wished that you had a cup of coffee or something to nibble on? Or that you get off from work and maybe want to spend a few extra minutes chatting with a new friend that you've just met slugging/want to wait for traffic to ease before attempting to leave the lot. I don't know. I just feel that if there was a way that we could patronize a business in exchange for something that could help with easing the congestion or accomodating parking it would be great.

I am really brainstorming here, so I am taking a stab at anything.

Trish
DC_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 3:20pm
EVERYDAY! I stand there and say...man if only I had a cup of coffee. Or if I bring coffee...if only there were a trash can here. That really is a great idea. Now to find a business person to take over...that's the real effort. ;)

I think you are on the right track, but getting it implemented is a whole other story.

I don't think the crossing of the street would be so bad if there were cross walks with indicators and crossing guards. There are so many towns (take DC for instance when crossing Constitution or something like that) that it's not even thought about as anything more than crossing a street to get where you are going. There is nothing wrong with it and I actually think it would make the area a bit nicer.

Are you going to the City Hall meeting?

Think!
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2002 at 3:39pm
I suggested the idea of the parking garage to the Stafford Board of Supervisors (BoS) about two years ago when we had the towing incident at the 610 lot. I went to many of the BoS meetings along with several others who had been towed to try and give them some ideas of what would be helpful to us commuters. What I found at that time was a lack of cooperation from the Stafford BoS because if it involves money out of the county's pocket, they don't have any to spare. I was told that a parking garage was too expensive. I do believe that it is a great idea if we could convince a business owner to help out (especially a coffee shop)!!

It would also be helpful to have a crosswalk at the Mine Road/Staffordborough intersection but since there are cars going in all directions, I am still not convinced it is safe. Don't hold your breath about a policeman standing there directing traffic. The county is short on funds, as is evident by the inability to pay the teachers fairly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic