Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rappahannock Commission Asking for Ideas for 610!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msgeminius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 3:36pm
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !!!!!

quote:

To all 610 sluggers.

Everyone should sit back and look at this situation. It's not that bad, it just takes motivation.
The 610 lot (behind McDonalds) has 721 parking spaces. The Mine Rd. lot has 770 parking spaces. Between these two lots we have more than enough spaces for all the commuters in Stafford. Now out of the few times I have slugged from this lot out of everyone's mouth I have heard, "Wow, this is so much more convienant". Yeah you might think it will be difficult in the evenings, but have you tried it? There are two entrances and exits and frankly I get home a lot faster. Now there is a problem with being dropped off in either or both of the lots, but generally someone in the car with you will take you over to the Mine Rd. lot.
Now I am sure it will improve over time, once people stop complaing and start trying it. So far the DC sluggers have been the only ones in the Mine Rd. lot. If that is the way we have to leave it, fine. Most of us have not had a problem getting to work. In fact, it's easier. Yesterday morning I got there at 7:15 and within 5 minutes I had a ride to DC.
The only way this "Problem" is ever going to be worked out is if people keep an open mind and just stop being afraid to try something new.
Check out the Mine Rd. lot. You might find that it's a better way to get to work.
The roads and the lots are not going to change just because a few people can't get to work or don't like the situation....so take matters into your own hands and if you can't find a parking spot at the 610 lot...instead of taking the risk of being ticketed or towed...why don't you drive over to the Mine Rd lot, park (because there is always parking) and wait for a ride like everyone else does. If all the people are standing in that lot....than all the drivers will follow.

Think!

Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2002 at 3:54pm
I'd would tend to agree that we presently have about enough parking spots AT THE PRESENT TIME. But what about 2-3+ years in the future, when they have finished Augustine, Amy Clay, Apple Grove, and whatever other subdivisions they're currently working on out on West 610? Now is the time to plan ahead! I myself would be winning to pay a buck a day to park in a 2000 car garage. Why couldn't the County BOS or some ask the developers putting in the mall if they'd be willing to build a pay garage under their own parking lot, or as part of it, for the commuters? the answer just may surprise us. Even $2/day would only be about $40 a month (still cheaper than driving or the metro or the bus ...). If 1000 cars park there every business day, we'd be talking $20-$40K minimum per month income for the garage.

Just thinking...

Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2002 at 11:14am
What ever happen to this? Did the Rappahannock Commision take a look at our advice?
Debby View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2002 at 4:50pm
If they are taking away the shuttle for good, I think the late commuters (drivers and slugs) might as well go to the new lot, like beginning at 7 or 7:15 am. I have no idea about getting to the new lot at night, in the dark, safely, unless the driver is kind and will take you there. Or, the move of Rosslyn/Pent/CC to the new lot would be good.
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 11:10am
It's quite obvious that the Planning Commission, Board of Supervisors, etc. are not going to be able to do anything to help the adverse parking/traffic situation on Route 610. The Mine Road lot is spacious but it's location makes it a bad option for alot of people. Especially now that it gets dark earlier and the weather has been wet and cold. Noone I know wants to try to cross 610 and there is no guarantee that your drivers are going to take you to the new lot on Mine Road especially since it is very hard to merge over to the left lanes in gridlocked traffic (even if you use the second light).

A great solution for many of us will be to start using the Route 630 commuter lot on Dec. 2nd. My slug buddies and I have been slugging from there for a month and a half and we love it!! It is so easy to get in/out of and it saves us alot of our valuable time. If you are a driver or a rider and would like to join us on Dec. 2nd, please respond to Matrix's Route 630 poll or email her at rachelkorinek@msn.com or korinek@rand.org. That will in turn help the 610 folks who feel it is more convenient to slug from there because it will free up some parking spaces for you if we get a good balance between the two lots. So if you live further south of Route 610 and want a better option, please join us at the Route 630 commuter lot on Dec. 2nd and don't forget to participate in the poll!!
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 12:08pm
Anybody know what came out of the 5 Nov Stafford Board of Supervisors Meeting[?] I wasn't able to make the meeting.
Matrix View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 1:07pm
All I know is that the shuttle bus was eliminated. You can contact the BOS administration for meeting notes.
peedee87 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peedee87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:19pm
There you go again Shelly!
crystalslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystalslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:39pm
Spoke with Gary Pash on Thursday (7 Nov). He indicated that the traffic situation for the PM rush at 610 will be greatly helped by the new exit which will be built as part of the new mall. Mine road will have its own traffic flow separate from westbound 610. This is scheduled to take affect summer 03. The bigger picture for the two lot situation on 610 will be left to the drivers and slugs which have always found solutions to problems in the past. The mine road lot will prosper for those whom it serves best just as the current 610 lot has prospered for its users. I utilize the mine road lot (with no problems AM or PM) and other users numbers are growing every week. As the county grows, so will the usage of all three Stafford lots.

crystalslug
shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 2:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by peedee87
[br]There you go again Shelly!

Actually it's Shelby not Shelly and I feel that educating people of all of their options and the pros/cons of each is the purpose of this website.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic